Facebook, Twitter and Other Social Media

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Facebook, Twitter and Other Social Media

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm basically on facebook because I enjoy political arguments, lol! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Rob Houghton wrote:I'm basically on facebook because I enjoy political arguments, lol! :-D
I'd noticed. :lol: :roll:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I tried Facebook once and found it so time-wasting and boring that I decided to close my account — and then got panicky emails or phone calls from certain friends and relations wanting to know "What happened, where have you gone??" as if it meant I'd actually vanished off the face of the earth... :P I haven't been particularly tempted to try it again, either — fine for those who do enjoy it, but it's just not my thing.

As for political arguments, I try to keep right out of them these days, or else I'm in too much danger of ending up like this... :mrgreen:

Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Courtenay wrote:I tried Facebook once and found it so time-wasting and boring that I decided to close my account
     This makes me blush rather to admit that I do use it. It began because of one single friend not in my own country who prefers to use it to talk over e-mail; but I'm afraid it has expanded a bit beyond that.
     That said, I would point out that in some ways, careful use of Facebook is not really a lot different from using forums such as this, which presumably no-one considers a waste of time. There are various special-interest forums that are conducted on Facebook, and if you are interested, you have to go where the conversation is taking place, not where you think it should be. I actually think Facebook is very unsuitable for these kinds of forums, but that's a different matter, and the fact is that it is used for many of these forums.
     I consider forums such as this or e-mail-based mailing lists far better, as they both have far stronger facilities for organizing content, instead of it all being higgledy-piggledy like on Facebook. Forums have major sections, and threads within those which are at least in theory headed with a title which summarizes their topic; and e-mail theoretically has a subject heading that acts like a thread title, and can be organized within your e-mail program. But I have never so far found any even approximately similar means of organizing material in Facebook forums.
     Anyway, if I want to participate in any of these forums, for many I have no choice but to do it on Facebook.
     So perhaps I don't need to blush too strongly.

Regards, Michael Edwards.
Society Member
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

I like facebook and spend way too much time on it, as Micheal and Daisy will be able to attest :)
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

That may be true Yak.... but we enjoy your comments very much!

Society Member
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

Cheque's in the post :P
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

I have a fan page for someone on twitter, but I spend barely any time there. I also have a personal account, but I spend barely any time there either. :lol:
I have a Facebook account where I think I'm friends with a few of you, but I'm rarely active there now too, I mainly just get tagged in memes by my friends and tag them in a few. That's it. I stopped liking facebook after it became too unorganized and cluttered. For me personally, the best social media app is undoubtedly Instagram. I know very few older people use it, but it's actually a great place to show off your photography/editing skills and voice your opinions. Instagram stories usually provide a place to post rants/opinions/frank rebukes etc that I can't seem to do subtly enough anywhere else. I don't post a lot, but I update my Instagram Story quite often and it's not just pretty pictures or Bday Wishes for a friend, (as most kids seem to do :roll: ) but just me being my weird self, me talking about net neutrality, etc. Fun. That being said, I definitely use it too much and I'm trying to cut down on that right now.
I actually like Twitter, mainly because I have a problem with word limits and it's a good way to address that. My Instagram captions tend to get way too long. :lol: But I don't network there much and I don't intend to do so either, mainly because I simply can't afford to spend more time on my cellphone.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Talking of 'Net neutrality' - another backwards step from the American government... :roll:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Yak wrote:Cheque's in the post :P
Thanks - I'll keep a watch out for it. :wink:

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Rob Houghton wrote:Talking of 'Net neutrality' - another backwards step from the American government... :roll:
Absolutely. Hopefully it'll be taken to Court and contested against successfully, as it apparently has been twice before.
You can call me Sunskriti!