Facebook, Twitter and Other Social Media

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social (?) networki

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I guess the older one gets the more the internet can be a frightening and intrusive place. The fact that my memories were of a couple I didn't know, was an eye opener. I keep most strict privacy on my Facebook anyway, and only my friends can see my pictures, and not friends of friends, so I was rather surprised to see people I didn't even know, as part of my 'memories'.

In fact, I know of a few people who have come out of Facebook altogether now for certain reasons, and I don't blame them in the least.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

I feel like I don't have very many "friends" on facebook, and yet I am constantly getting information about people I don't know.
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

I find Facebook quite useful to keep in contact with friends and family who I may not see regularly and I find it's easier than sending a text. I also use Facebook and other social media such as Twitter a lot for work purposes being a journalist.
I think it's a great way of engaging with readers and encouraging more people to read your stories and ultimately the website. Yes, Facebook does have its drawbacks as it can encourage the wrong crowds and type of person, but overall I'd say it's a force for good and allows the world be a more globalised, interconnected and democratic place to live.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've found Facebook to be great as I've managed to find several people who I had completely lost touch with, and it was unlikely I'd have found them any other way. I am very careful about what I post though. Mostly I just wish people happy birthday, and like the odd photo they've posted.

I have 'unfollowed' quite several people though, for a number of different reasons. Some were posting very political comments which I either didn't express myself, or they just got a bit monotonous. Others perhaps posted vast numbers of photos of their children. I like children, and am interested in seeing photos, but not several new ones every day. Other people shared 'thoughts for the day', which at first were quite fun, but again, it got so they were posting 3 or 4 every day, so I've stopped following them as well. It does unfortunately mean that I might miss something that would be of special interest to me, but I figure that if it was really important, such as they'd just got married/moved house etc., I'd probably get to hear about it some other way.
Society Member
jubei
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney 'R' Mystery
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by jubei »

I like Facebok and that taken about 20% of my daily activity. The thing is we need to be taking time learn how to limited the privacy over there. There are privacy setup to be activated if you want to limited your wall postings audiences. Several clicks and you will get it.

I try to use Facebook to connect with people that I semi-known, such as old school friends. My real purpose in using Facebook actually quite opposite to some fellow member written above. It is to connect with people that far away from me, as the close friend already can keep in touch in real life.

Anyway, happy new year 2017.
reread 2015 - Barney Series ,The Secret of Killimooin
reread Feb 2023 - The Rilloby Fair Mystery
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Reading Chaos by Patricia Cornwell has made me even more scared of social media!! :?
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I really think that a lot of internet scare stories are just that - scare stories. After all, we would be careful what we did and where we went in real life, so how come everyone is less careful online? I think as long as you're careful what you let out, and keep checking security and privacy settings, things should be fine. I tend to think the most dangerous part of 'social networking' isn't social networking at all but simply buying stuff and doing internet banking. This is where the problems really start! I had someone clone my bank card once and draw two lots of £200+ from my account - and it had nothing to do with Social Networking and everything to do with going on a rogue site to order a DVD of an old movie!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think the biggest area of concern I would have is the fact that many people's entire lives are stored on their phones. My phone is pay as I go, and only has a few snapshots on the camera, so if I lost it, I'd lose £10 or less credit, a couple of pictures, which probably weren't that important anyway, and have the inconvenience of being without a phone. I'm pretty sure that everyone's phone number is also written down in my address book. I suppose someone might bombard all my friends with nuisance calls or texts/but it wouldn't be for long as the credit would soon be used up, and I doubt anyone would bother to top it up.

I don't have a laptop, so anything like internet banking (which I rarely do), or Facebook is done from a computer. Of course if the house was broken into, then someone might be able to access bank details etc. from the computer, but I'm assuming they'd have to steal the tower, which is rather bulky for a quick get-away.

Someone might be able to hack into the computer from afar, but we do have various safety features installed, so hopefully that risk is minimal. Any transactions done on-line is from an account that doesn't have an overdraft facility, and I generally don't keep much in there, just transfer money when if I know I'm going to make a big purchase. Obviously there are always risks, but then walking down the road with a purse full of money is a risk too.

I know there are concerns about photos/videos being shared on social media, but I don't post anything I would consider personal, and with phones built into cameras, long lenses etc., who is to say that I'm not being recorded/photographed every time I leave the house? There have been a couple of stories in the news recently about people being filmed in public toilets - so nowhere is really safe.
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

I find Facebook most useful for keeping in touch with farflung family and friends, but occasionally :shock: :shock: at the personal details people share in what amounts to a public arena.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Machupicchu14 wrote:Reading Chaos by Patricia Cornwell has made me even more scared of social media!! :?
Plot looks great.Thank you. I have just downloaded it to my kindle.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

floragord wrote: but occasionally :shock: :shock: at the personal details people share in what amounts to a public arena.
I know what you mean, I always wonder at the safety of announcing that someone is just flying off to the Caribbean for a fortnight. I'd have thought it was safer to wait until until they'd returned and then share a few holiday snaps. Maybe I'm over cautious, and there is no way a stranger would know how to locate the empty house.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have recently received an email from Facebook which said the following:-

Hey Tony,

You recently registered for Facebook. To complete your Facebook registration, please confirm your account.

It asked me to click on the confirmation button and gave me a long code number to put in to do so. I didn't do anything about it at all as I have actually belonged to Facebook for at least six years and I have no problem getting into my account if I want to - something I seldom do!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

One thing I really do hate about facebook is their inability to deal with complaints in a proper manner! Occasionally I've reported a post - something a friend may have commented on and has come up on my feed. Usually its a photo of a dead baby or someone with no limbs or someone supposedly being tormented by a ghost etc - and usually originally posted by someone in South America, whom I don't know. The 'meme' usually says 'Give this baby an Amen or you'll die tonight' or 'this ghost will kill you if you don't comment' etc. I never take notice of this, but I feel they aren't the sort of thing that should be on facebook. More vulnerable adults and younger people might feel threatened by these, which are in effect a modern form of chain letter.

So I've reported them several times and facebook always say 'the content doesn't contravene our standards' - hmmmm - WHAT standards? :evil: They usually suggest blocking the person concerned, but somehow these 'trolls' or whatever you like to call them, can't be blocked.

This is where facebook falls down big time, if you ask me!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Yes, if you EVER get an email like this, asking you to click on a link or a button in the email to take care of a "problem with your account" or whatever, never click on that button or link.

Go to the website the normal way, or phone them, or whatever. You will pretty much always find there is no problem with your account.
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Don't use any of it, never have never will. I have been asked several times to but my answer is always the same, no way and I'm not interested. I don't need or want it, if I want to talk to people online I'll use forums or emails, if I want to talk with family/friends I will speak to them properly face to face or by phone and if I want to advertise my work I'll put a card in the shop windows and rely on word of mouth. At my last place of work they were starting to make staff have a Facebook account whether you wanted it or not. Thankfully I left before they got around to giving me one :D .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶