Christmas Customs

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Christmas Customs

Post by Eddie Muir »

I noticed that the supermarkets were selling ready-made pigs in blankets in their chilled sections in the weeks leading up to a Christmas.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm pretty sure ours here are ready-made, but they're very tasty and I like them too. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Huh....? Ready made pigs....?
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

It's feels pretty weird not to be in Spain for the Epiphany!!
I am just getting everything organised, buying presents and if time allows I will try to make the King's cake.
Hope they come to Ireland this year!! ;)
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Katharine wrote:Some interesting thoughts there, I shall certainly do my best to keep them in mind next time I'm opening presents - regardless of the contents. :D

You've reminded me I need to prompt my children to write their thank you letters. They are usually pretty good. I would prefer a written note myself, but I'd rather receive a text or even a verbal thank you than nothing at all. I sent a friend's son a cheque for his birthday a couple of month's ago, and haven't heard anything, not even a message on Facebook. I checked my bank account, and it's been cashed, so at least I know he received it. Now he's a teenager I expect his mother feels he's old enough to remember to thank people himself, and although it would have been nice to receive an acknowledgement, I can't honestly say I've always remembered to thank people, especially when I was his age. :D
I smiled recalling my dear Grandmama writing her thank you letters with a quill pen (she insisted it was the only sort that had a nib sharp enough) on scented violet paper in exquisite copperplate, and a recent text from a goddaughter saying "Yuge tx 4 scrummy goodies, big love", guess we're somewhere between!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Sounds great, but I wonder which was easier to read? I had to read the text 3 times before I worked out what it said! :lol:
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Me too! I've never seen the text word 'Yuge' before! That threw me for a while! Must be getting old! :(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I hate that sort of text speak, it's so difficult to read, I think morse code would be easier to work out than some of these made up texting words! Even worse, on some forums some write whole posts like that, almost impossible to read through. I'm sure that's why some posts have such shockingly bad grammar and spelling too, people are using 'text speak' so much their forgetting how to write properly or don't know how to in the first place! :( .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Couldn't agree more! When I write a text I usually write in full sentences and complete words...call me old fashioned, I don't care! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

We have just completed our last Christmas custom - taking the decs down! Can't abide seeing decorations up in January. Time to move on and look forward to 2017's thrills and spills. :D
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

We'll take our decs down tomorrow at some point. We've never left them up until 12th night either.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Rob Houghton wrote:Couldn't agree more! When I write a text I usually write in full sentences and complete words...call me old fashioned, I don't care! 8)
Me too, at least I know people wil lhave understood what I've written. Some would argue it takes longer but I'd argue back that by the time I've thought of which text speak words I'm supposed to be using and decided if it's understandable to the recipient or not, I could have written and sent a proper message anyway!
Moonraker wrote:We have just completed our last Christmas custom - taking the decs down! Can't abide seeing decorations up in January. Time to move on and look forward to 2017's thrills and spills. :D
Mine never come down before the 6th here, I like to keep them up as long as possible and squeeze every last drop of enjoyment from the Christmas period, it goes so quick I feel you have to make the most of it. I can understand wanting to take them down on New Year's Day, starting a fresh year and all that, but I will never understand the idea some have of putting the tree/decs up in November then taking it down Boxing Day complaining their fed up of them by then! :roll:
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I hate it when the tree decorations and tree are packed up - the house looks so bare. :cry: January seems such a long, cold month, often with grey skies, at least if I keep the decorations up until 6th January then it only means there's 3 weeks of 'nothingness', as opposed to a whole month. :D

The last couple of years I've made the room look a bit more cheerful by putting up birthday cards. My son, daughter and myself have birthdays at the end of November/beginning of December, and trying to put up 3 lots of cards at once was just impossible. So I decided to just put one lot up at a time. My son was away this year, so I didn't have his cards to display, but as I always keep cards up for a month, I've only just taken mine down and replaced them with my daughter's - so that will take us up to the end of January. Hopefully by the then days will be a little bit lighter, and although I expect the weather will still be cold and miserable, February usually sees a few bulbs poking up.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Thankfully I don't really have to write thank you letters (or txts). Pretty much everyone who gives me a gift at Christmas I see in person and can thank them face to face.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:I hate it when the tree decorations and tree are packed up - the house looks so bare. :cry:
We love it! Normality again and Christmas is just a memory. :D
Society Member