What type of food do you like best?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: What type of food do you like best?

Post by Courtenay »

Considering I live and work (and get most of my meals) at a care home that does a roast every Sunday, I should say I'm not over roast dinners yet!! :mrgreen: I'm not always in for Sunday lunch, but when I am, it's invariably delicious. We always have a huge Christmas dinner — turkey and all the trimmings — every years as well. I'd hardly ever had roast turkey before I came to this country, and had never had pigs in blankets in my life, but I can now say I'm definitely hooked. 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

We don't "do" turkey, but love duck in various culinary variations all through the year and goose with all the trimmings at Christmas, our festive bird is due on 22/12!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob, skip reading my post. It would only give you a migraine.

I love chocolate more than anything else, would leave a steak for a chocolate if I had the choice (my favorites are the Guylan Belgian Sea Shells...I believe they have them at Sainsbury in the UK where we bought them every week, Belgian Côte d'or milk chocolate (we have to drive to the Berkshires to get it), German marzipan covered with milk chocolate from ALDI, ice cream (peanut butter cup from Ben & Jerry's and white chocolate covered Magnum ice cream which I also discovered at Sainsbury's or Tesco's 8 years ago...delicious!!!).

Of course I don't eat chocolate or ice cream all the time (and when I eat it, the revenge is unfortunately a constant cough, allergic reaction to dairy in general).

I also like almonds, Matzos (the Jewish flat bread), sharp Cheddar cheese, Mac & Cheese, Pizza (once a week we share one), Tortellini without any sauce, rarely chicken at the restaurant. We don't eat out much.
As a snack in-between I like rice cakes with peanut butter thinly scratched on it (no jelly on top of my peanut butter though). That was a tip from a dietitian in the US, believe it or not. She also suggested to cut a Granny Smith apple into small slices and dip it into peanut butter. It tastes yummy.

Well, I'm not a big fan of turkey, find it rather dry. But Americans love it so much that they eat it on Thanksgiving and then on Christmas again. :)
However, I enjoy the mashed potatoes, butternut squash and green beans that come with the turkey. But I prefer my mashed potatoes without sauce. I never was much of a sauce or soup fan.
New England Clam Chowder is the only exception. And tomato soup.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I used to love chocolate until I was around 15 and then started getting migraines. It wasn't until a few years later that I realised every time I ate choclate I got a migraine - and I get bad ones - with the 'aura' zig-zag flashing visionary disturbance, pins and needles that go all over my body almost like paralysis and then finally the headache and sickness. I don't often get as far as the headache and sickness due to taking migraine tablets, but eating chocolate is just too risky for the effects it gives me. Even eating a choc-ice or a hot chocolate can bring one on. :-(

I love dry meat so always like turkey and cook my chicken well so its quite dry. I also like flaky dry fish and dislike the more moist varieties. I love soup - especially tomato, oxtail and asparagus. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:I used to love chocolate until I was around 15 and then started getting migraines. It wasn't until a few years later that I realised every time I ate choclate I got a migraine - and I get bad ones - with the 'aura' zig-zag flashing visionary disturbance, pins and needles that go all over my body almost like paralysis and then finally the headache and sickness. I don't often get as far as the headache and sickness due to taking migraine tablets, but eating chocolate is just too risky for the effects it gives me.
Sorry, Rob, please accept my apology.
I really didn't mean to tease you, because I know how it feels to get a migraine.
Used to get migraines (mine were probably mentally caused) 3 or 4 times per year in my first former marriage, but since 1997 I never had another migraine again.

It would be hell for me if I no longer could eat my beloved chocolate. But at my age of course I do worry that at some point my doctor will tell me that I have to give it up for good :evil: . Unfortunately I never liked dark chocolate at all.
And no, a small piece per day doesn't do anything for me (that's why diets which allow a small piece of chocolate never worked for me). I can easily eat anything else in moderation , just not chocolate :(.

I guess I'm talking and fantasizing about chocolate today, because since Thanksgiving we are juice fasting (my annual check up/physical is coming up next week).
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:Considering I live and work (and get most of my meals) at a care home that does a roast every Sunday, I should say I'm not over roast dinners yet!! :mrgreen: I'm not always in for Sunday lunch, but when I am, it's invariably delicious. We always have a huge Christmas dinner — turkey and all the trimmings — every years as well. I'd hardly ever had roast turkey before I came to this country, and had never had pigs in blankets in my life, but I can now say I'm definitely hooked. 8)
Usually I avoid meat, but must admit that Cornish past(r)y and the sausages typical for the British breakfast in English B & B's or hotels are delicious! 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Chrissie777 wrote:Sorry, Rob, please accept my apology.
I really didn't mean to tease you, because I know how it feels to get a migraine.
No need to apologise at all - I wasn't upset by what you said. :-D

I've got to the stage now where I don't even like the smell of chocolate, as I haven't eaten it for around 25 years. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:I've got to the stage now where I don't even like the smell of chocolate, as I haven't eaten it for around 25 years. :-D
That's admirable, Rob!

My longest time without chocolate was 10 to 12 weeks way back in 1988 before my first trip to the US (I lost a lot of weight), but I still missed it and never found a substitute :(.
In books on how to overcome chocolate addiction they tell you that after 4 to 6 weeks the longing would disappear...wish that was true for me. :evil:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

We're having sweet and sour pork with egg fried rice tonight.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Chrissie777 wrote:Sorry, Rob, please accept my apology.
No need to apologise at all - I wasn't upset by what you said. :-D

I've got to the stage now where I don't even like the smell of chocolate, as I haven't eaten it for around 25 years. :-D
Wow Rob!!! That's certainly a long time!

I am not a big fan of milk chocolate, but when I am really hungry, milk chocolate with almonds is the perfection gift for me. Anyway, dark chocolate is by far the best one in the world (for me) ;) and a cup of hot chocolate in winter makes my day.

Rob, I am so sorry that you can't eat chocolate and it's so sad that you got migraines. I hate when I get very strong headaches...
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

pete9012S wrote:We're having sweet and sour pork with egg fried rice tonight.
You are making me hungry! ;)
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I'm a sweet toothed person, I like my cakes, biscuits, chocolates and sweets! I prefer baking to cooking, I don't like cooking meals, I prefer to make up the deserts and normally look forward to pudding more than a main meal. I do love cheese though, Cheddar or Edam on cream crackers is delicious, but if the bread is fresh and soft I could quite happily live on sandwiches.

Peanut Butter is another of my huge favourites, has to be Jif or Skippy from the US though as the stuff they make here is awful in comparison. Apart from chicken, eggs or a bit of fish I don't eat meat at all, I don't like it as I always find some lump of fat or rubbery gristle or in it that puts me off whatever I'm eating instantly :( . So the easiest thing is simply not to eat it.

I'm a very finicky fussy eater, I don't like anything out of the ordinary or anything foreign (curry, takeaway etc), I don't like 'runny' dinners beyond certain soups so anything swimming in gravy or some kind of juice/sauce and I don't like hot or spicy foods no matter how mild. Most of the stuff I do like is probably not very good really but it doesn't take a lot to fill me and I don't eat much in the first place so it balances itself out :P .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

IceMaiden wrote:I'm a very finicky fussy eater, I don't like anything out of the ordinary or anything foreign (curry, takeaway etc), I don't like 'runny' dinners beyond certain soups so anything swimming in gravy or some kind of juice/sauce and I don't like hot or spicy foods no matter how mild. Most of the stuff I do like is probably not very good really but it doesn't take a lot to fill me and I don't eat much in the first place so it balances itself out :P .
Me, too. I don't like any spicy meals, no pepper, no salt for me. I rather use herbs like dill. I use a lot of cinnamon on my oatmeal (sugar-free).
Today I enjoy spinach, as a child I hated it plus the green, yellow and red peppers that my mom used for cooking (still don't care for them).
I feel the same about most soups and can happily live without sauce/gravy.
I don't think you sound finicky fussy at all.

Also at the restaurant I always order my salad without oil/vinegar/dressing. I prefer the crunchy fresh salad taste and don't like it when the entire salad tastes like olive oil. :roll:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree about salad - I'd rather have all the different salad items, rather than something tasting of oil or dressing of some sort. When I was young it was normal (in Birmingham anyway!) for people to serve cucumber in a dish of vinegar. Yuk! I much prefer the taste of natural cucumber to cucumber that has been swimming in vinegar - but the older generation always ate it that way.

The reason I like a Sunday roast type meal is because of all the different flavours.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:When I was young it was normal (in Birmingham anyway!) for people to serve cucumber in a dish of vinegar. Yuk! I much prefer the taste of natural cucumber to cucumber that has been swimming in vinegar - but the older generation always ate it that way.
I remember making the Greek tzatziki (sp?) quite often some 30+ years ago. If my memory serves me right it was with very thin cucumber slices and yogurt (and of course garlic).
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock