Fireworks

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Fireworks

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I feel for the animals too, Cathy, and acts of cruelty for fun, and stories of this, just spoil things for the sensible purchaser that wants to buy fireworks for a treat for his or her children to watch.

It's always the minority that spoil things for the majority, and gives the product a bad name. In this case fireworks.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: What makes you annoyed?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:Nigel - this was just exactly the point I was making! :roll:
Not the impression I got from what you said, Rob!
Rob Houghton wrote:I'd personally sooner see alcohol being banned in supermarkets...
Ah, but what Rob actually said was:
I'd personally sooner see alcohol being banned in supermarkets, so that if people want to drink they have to go to a pub... :wink: More people are killed each year by misuse of alcohol than fireworks...
The remainder of the comment and the :wink: symbol make all the difference!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

But now you're not reading Nigel's original reply of the 8th. properly. As far as I'm aware, Waitrose is a supermarket.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I know Waitrose is a supermarket, but I got the impression that Nigel thought Rob was seriously suggesting that alcoholic drinks should only be available in pubs. Maybe I got the wrong impression though! :?

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

You've not got the wrong impression at all, Anita. Rob was suggesting that. But Nigel said:

"It wasn't alcohol that split this family up, it was the husband who split his family up. Why should I be denied to buy my favourite beers from Waitrose because of louts who can't handle it?"

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

But I don't think Rob was really suggesting that. I thought Rob was saying it wouldn't make much difference to him personally if alcohol was only available in pubs, but that he wouldn't welcome general restrictions like that being brought in simply because a few people drink to excess and (in some cases) cause harm to themselves and others as a result. He was drawing a parallel with fireworks.

That's the way I understood it, anyway!

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm totally confused as to who said what now - I need a drink. :wink:
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Spitfire wrote:All my books are inaccessible at the moment, and I was trying to remember what the names of the fireworks were in the Secret Seven books. Wasn't there one called Jumping Jack, or Jack-in-a-box? And I seem to remember Crackers, but I'm not sure if that's from an SS book or an actual firework we used to have.
Secret Seven Fireworks has Moon Rockets but possibly other types too. Mr Twiddle has catherine-wheels, roman candles, squibs and rockets. I put extracts from these stories (and others) on the blog for November 5th.
Katharine wrote: I think we have a thread for Enid Blyton related bonfire stories, but I was just wondering if there is any mention of animals being frightened in any of them? I know there are one or two Secret Seven books set at that time of year, did Scamper join in or was he kept indoors?
Only one figure is missing from the Grand Firework Party. Guess who it is? Yes, it’s dear old Scamper. He’s terrified of bangs and crashes, so he is lying comfortable in his basket by the fire, pretending he can’t go because his leg is bandaged! From the end of Secret Seven Fireworks.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

All I can say is I had a great time at a private party with a bonfire and fireworks with close friends where a responsible person set them off having a fun time - in many ways the recreation of a child-like memory - after which having warmed up we had plenty of food. It wouldn't of felt the same had it of been an organized one like the huge one just across the ridge from where we were in the Black Country on Saturday, which was very visible.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:But I don't think Rob was really suggesting that. I thought Rob was saying it wouldn't make much difference to him personally if alcohol was only available in pubs, but that he wouldn't welcome general restrictions like that being brought in simply because a few people drink to excess and (in some cases) cause harm to themselves and others as a result. He was drawing a parallel with fireworks.

That's the way I understood it, anyway!
At least one person understood! Yes - exactly what I was saying...and my technique for saying it obviously worked, and had the desired effect, as it got Nigel all hot around the collar, lol! :lol:
Carlotta King wrote: I know the shops sell tons of things that could be dangerous, like knives and scissors and things, and I know we can't ban everything, but to me theyre just something really unnecessary and the less things we can sell that are dangerous, the better, in my opinion.

I guess I feel extra strongly about this because I'm crazy about animals!
I also love animals, before someone suggests I don't, lol - but that is exactly my point. As you said above, "but to me they're just something really unnecessary" - just as alcohol would be unnecessary to someone who doesn't drink, or chocolate to someone who doesn't eat chocolate, or meat to a vegetarian. I know fireworks are explosives and I see what you're saying, and can't really be compared to alcohol, chocolate or meat but it would just be a case of restricting things you personally didn't like/use.

Which, again, is what I was sort of saying earlier on. :D :D

I'm off to quaff a gallon of ale after all that!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Domino wrote:You've not got the wrong impression at all, Anita. Rob was suggesting that. But Nigel said:
"It wasn't alcohol that split this family up, it was the husband who split his family up. Why should I be denied to buy my favourite beers from Waitrose because of louts who can't handle it?"
Thank you so much, Dave. I am so relieved someone has understood my point! I think I'll pop down to our local Co-op now - they're selling three beers for a fiver!
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I actually thought this thread was about fireworks? :roll: :wink:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I thought it was about tea. :mrgreen: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
Domino wrote:You've not got the wrong impression at all, Anita. Rob was suggesting that. But Nigel said:
Thank you so much, Dave. I am so relieved someone has understood my point! I think I'll pop down to our local Co-op now - they're selling three beers for a fiver!
Again, this was EXACTLY the point I was making. Oh dear!!! :roll: Why should anyone be denied the pleasure of fireworks in their own gardens just because a few yobs misbehave? Exactly my point!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Spitfire wrote:All my books are inaccessible at the moment, and I was trying to remember what the names of the fireworks were in the Secret Seven books. Wasn't there one called Jumping Jack, or Jack-in-a-box? And I seem to remember Crackers, but I'm not sure if that's from an SS book or an actual firework we used to have.
Secret Seven Fireworks has Moon Rockets but possibly other types too. Mr Twiddle has catherine-wheels, roman candles, squibs and rockets. I put extracts from these stories (and others) on the blog for November 5th.
Thanks Fiona. I think I must be thinking of Good Work Secret Seven. Great blog post by the way - I really had no idea there were so many short stories featuring Bonfire Night!
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139