Fireworks

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Fireworks

Post by pete9012S »

Yes,marvellous research Fiona,especially Crack! Splutter-crack! Bang!!! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Are the most powerful fireworks actually available to buy in the shops, I wonder, or are they reserved for public displays only?
Yes, they are, Anita. Some years ago the police issued a warning that some "professional" fireworks had been stolen. The problems being that not only are they too powerful to be set off in the confines of a 'normal' garden but they are meant to be ignited electronically from a remote control system, rather than someone standing next to it with a match. They are meant to fire immediately not when the touch paper has burnt.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Cheers, Jack!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Spitfire wrote: Thanks Fiona. I think I must be thinking of Good Work Secret Seven. Great blog post by the way - I really had no idea there were so many short stories featuring Bonfire Night!
Neither did I! I had expected to throw together a short post and it turned into a mammoth task :lol:. I did have it in my head that there were two Secret Sevens which featured fireworks, but I quickly browsed the cave reviews and couldn't identify which the other one would be. And then I found so many other stories that I didn't go back to look again. Having grabbed that book off the shelf, though, they start talking about Fireworks on the second page!

Jack has a humdinger (which cost three shillings and sixpence!), and later when they accidentally set off the fireworks in the shed there are rockets, squibs, blue-flashes and whirligigs.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Well, I have to search for the words like humdinger, squibs(at first I thought a typo!) and whirligigs using Google! :oops: :oops: :oops:
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Where I'm from a whirligig is one of those collapsible washing lines that look like a cobweb! The others I've heard of as fireworks though :D .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Gosh, thanks for the further information, Fiona. I did wonder how you did your research, now I know! :D Still no Jumping Jacks though, goodness knows what I'm thinking of there.

I know those washing lines as 'whirligigs' too, Ice Maiden. I do love the names of fireworks, they are very descriptive - or suggestive! - of the fun to come.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Thanks to the cave it was easy to put in searches for 'fireworks' and 'bonfire' then look through all the titles (and the books they came from). Obviously it doesn't pull up works containing those phrases unless it's in a title, which is why I missed the other SS book. So who knows how many other fireworks are out there?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Don't know if I'm going slightly off topic here, but has anyone else been in India during diwali? Man, the fireworks constantly going on for 5 days are noisy, polluting, and drive my dog crazy. I don't even burst them anymore, as they just cause too much pollution here. :(
You can call me Sunskriti!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Sunskriti, I've never been to India during Diwali but I have attended Wiwali celebrations in Ithaca organized by Indian students. Of course, they're a shadow of what they're like in India according to my friends, but I loved the very festive atmosphere.

I absolutely love fireworks. I think private displays are banned in Bangladesh, so the only time I get to see them are perhaps during Hindu pujas and celebrations, although with the increasing Islamicization ( :( ) going on here, that too seems to have lessened. In New Zealand you can't buy fireworks except on Guy Fawkes Day, and there are public displays as well. I went to New Brighton beach for the display and it was wonderful. Cold, too cold, but wonderful!

During homecoming every year at Cornell there's a fireworks display in the "football" stadium. That particular showing always gives me goosebumps. School pride is something I've always had and it's just so nice that everyone celebrates it during homecoming, even though we're almost always guaranteed to lose the game! :lol:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote:I absolutely love fireworks.
Yes, I have wonderful memories of fireworks in our garden as a child. Official displays are too 'perfect'. You can't beat setting off your own in your own private garden!
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I also used to look forward to it as a child, with the family. We were allowed to run about in the dark with sparklers to light the way.
The fireworks were set off at intervals by our dad and the best one left until last. We also had a bonfire burning, but we never had a guy.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

That sounds very much like us. We also never had a guy. My dad didn't like the idea of burning a 'person' on a fire - but we never really missed having one. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

No, we didn't either. In fact we didn't have a bonfire!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

On our local news last night, it showed one mother's plight for fireworks to be not sold in the shops. Her daughter was badly burned by a firework attaching itself to her scarf, and they followed all the codes and stood well away as the firework was being set off etc, but her child has had to under go a series of skin drafts etc and she was saying it was horrific to hear her 4 year old screaming in pain, even when her dressing are being changed at the hospital she is in utter agony, and screaming. So very sad to hear of such a thing happening. And I bet this wasn't the only incident that happened on 5th November either.

She is now getting up a petition to have fireworks banned in the shops so the public can't buy them for their own displays and wants only organized displays so people can go and watch and be hopefully safe.

Two sides to every story I know.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member