Fireworks

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Fireworks

Post by Rob Houghton »

AWful story, I agree - but also agree there are two sides to every story...after all, there were millions of children who weren't burned by fireworks.

I tend to think that when people call for bans because of personal tragedy, its very understandable, but they are also only seeing things from their own point-of-view (which is also understandable, but they need to see the bigger picture). In life, these tragic things happen. Banning fireworks because this happens occasionally would be like banning shellfish because some people (like me!) are dangerously allergic to them. I would personally love to see a ban on the use of shellfish...but why should I deprive others of their enjoyment? I worry each time someone buys and eats shellfish, because I know that they could suddenly develop a serious allergy as I did.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

True, Robert, as I said, everyone has their own reasons for the way they see Fireworks. An discussion that may never be resolved.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Rob Houghton wrote: Banning fireworks because this happens occasionally would be like banning shellfish because some people (like me!) are dangerously allergic to them.
While I agree with your view over calling for a ban on something due to a personal tragedy, I don't quite agree with this metaphor. You know you're allergic and can avoid eating them, but as far as fireworks are concerned anyone following the codes has no idea what is about to hit them. I see that you mentioned people suddenly developing an allergy, but well that can pretty much happen with a lot of things. (As can personal tragedy) Am I sort of answering my own doubts here? :?
Ming wrote:Sunskriti, I've never been to India during Diwali but I have attended Wiwali celebrations in Ithaca organized by Indian students. Of course, they're a shadow of what they're like in India according to my friends, but I loved the very festive atmosphere.
It is usually extremely festive here during Diwali, but what you experienced was something rare. Here weddings, Ganapati, Navratri, you name it and you can burst crackers there. So it sort of takes the fun away. And while I previously didn't have much against crackers, after Scamper came along I sorta saw the bad side of them, and it's unbearable to see him so miserable for 5 straight days. Plus the pollution... I guess it's fine for kids to have fun, but adults at least should be doing this in moderation, or else the next generation is gonna mess up the air even more. :(
Ming wrote: I absolutely love fireworks. I think private displays are banned in Bangladesh, so the only time I get to see them are perhaps during Hindu pujas and celebrations, although with the increasing Islamicization ( :( ) going on here, that too seems to have lessened.
That's just sad. The Islamicization , I mean, not the ban on private displays. Coz that's probably better for everyone. 8)
Ming wrote: During homecoming every year at Cornell there's a fireworks display in the "football" stadium. That particular showing always gives me goosebumps. School pride is something I've always had and it's just so nice that everyone celebrates it during homecoming, even though we're almost always guaranteed to lose the game! :lol:
You mean American football, right? :) I'm applying for a Telluride Association program, if I get in, I might just come to Cornell for a month next summer. :D
You can call me Sunskriti!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Darrell71 wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote: Banning fireworks because this happens occasionally would be like banning shellfish because some people (like me!) are dangerously allergic to them.
While I agree with your view over calling for a ban on something due to a personal tragedy, I don't quite agree with this metaphor. You know you're allergic and can avoid eating them, but as far as fireworks are concerned anyone following the codes has no idea what is about to hit them. I see that you mentioned people suddenly developing an allergy, but well that can pretty much happen with a lot of things. (As can personal tragedy) Am I sort of answering my own doubts here? :?
:wink: I think you possibly are. The point was that I ate shellfish for many years until I was around 26. All allergies occur out of the blue like this - no one is born with an allergy, but rather an allergy is an over-reaction by the body to something it can't tolerate. This can come on at any time in someone's life (which is why, when using products like hair dye etc, they advise doing a test patch each time). So actually I think my analogy wasn't too far out - we never know what will happen in life. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

She is now getting up a petition to have fireworks banned in the shops so the public can't buy them for their own displays
Yes, I can understand that from her personal experience. To follow-on from Rob's illustration, would you want cars banned if your child was killed crossing the road?

In 30 years as a paramedic, I didn't attend one firework-related incident. Yet I attended several injuries where people fell over a cat.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I myself fell over our puppy, and broke my wrist, so maybe I should have banned Rosie from living with us. :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've often tripped over our cats! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Yeah, I guess I was sort of confused when I wrote that post, but I see your point. :lol:
I've tripped over Scampu very often at night.
You can call me Sunskriti!