Football

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: Football

Post by number 6 »

Absolutely delighted, Eddie! I certainly thought I was dreaming! I followed the Reds progress on the BBC Final score all afternoon. You could've knocked me down with a feather by the end! I had to go & have a serious lie down to recover from the shock! :lol: I honestly thought we'd get a right drubbing, so I'm over the moon that I was proved wrong with my prediction! :D
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great results in the FA Cup 4th round this weekend for the Baggies, the Seagulls and the Owls. Three cheers! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

A fantastic weekend of cup joy for your teams Eddie & John! The Baggies result was the pick of them, though. Forest did their usual Jekyll & Hyde routine once again...Beat the league leaders one game, then play naff the next & lose! :lol:
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

A great win for Brighton, Eddie, but you can't say that the Baggies win wasn't expected. They were only playing Liverpool away. I mean, who are they? :D
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Quite right, John. Who are Liverpool? :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

Forest and Wednesday are being dragged inexorably into a relegation dogfight. The new managers at both clubs have made no difference.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

You're absolutely right, John. Been saying it to myself for the last few months or so. Warburton had reached a plateau & didn't know how to go beyond that. He never had a plan 'B'. He kept with the same format even though it wasn't working at all. The new Manager must be given time, but that time may not be enough come the end of the season. It may be too late. We've had several experienced players come through the door during the January transfer window, but they've yet to find their feet & settle in, so I can't really blame them. I thought the Wolves result was the turning point for Forest, but it turned out to be another false dawn! :roll:

As for the Owls, well, they've really surprised me. I really thought they'd be up in the play-off places & looking towards the Prem, but everything has been a catalogue of disasters. Why the players haven't reached the consistency & performance levels of last season is beyond me. You mentioned that your ex-manager wasn't doing a good enough job. Maybe he had become disillusioned by the current owners of the club & was just going through the motions. The players may also be in the same boat. Whatever the cause, both our teams need to get their fingers out & start putting a shift in to get the results which will steer us away from the wrong end of the table... before it's too late! :|
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

What do you think of Wednesday's chances in the Cup, vs Swansea.
I see both Sheffield sides are still in but your rivals have a difficult tie at Leicester on Friday night.
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

I don't give Wednesday any chance against Swansea. We have 13 first team players injured and the team against Barnsley last Saturday included two academy players. The club is in a complete mess because of decisions made by an increasingly paranoid owner who might know how to run a business canning tuna fish but he knows absolutely nothing about running a football club. Relegation is a real threat and many fans are questioning the owners intentions but he refuses to address their concerns. Carlos Carvalhal is enjoying a great start with his new club and I fully expect him to return to Hillsborough and win.
Society Member
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

Not so bad after all! I saw some of the game and they played well in the first half at least and the goalkeeper made a great save too.
I was sure Wednesday had blue stripes on their shirts but maybe I was thinking of another team.
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

Wednesday did have stripes on their shirts, Lenoir. The new owner doesn't like stripes though so he did away with them. When asked why he made that decision he replied, "It's my club now". So ends years of tradition.
Well done Rochdale in the FA Cup today holding Spurs to a draw. It was thoroughly deserved. Good luck in the replay.
Best of luck to Eddie's Brighton in the quarter-finals too. See you at Wembley. :D
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

An easy quarter-final for Brighton: away to Manchester United. No problem! :wink:

Good luck to the Owls in their replay against Swansea, John. :D

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Yes, good luck to the Owls in their replay with Swansea, John! Personally, though, I'd rather have 3 points from a league match, than be playing in the FA Cup! Sadly, the Reds can't get 3 points for toffee & arent in the Cup, either!! :roll:

Man Utd away?....NO problems, Eddie!! :wink:
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

I thought I was right about the stripes, so thanks for clearing that up Eddie.
Pity it was changed. Confusing for me for a start!
There's hope - Cardiff changed to red for a few seasons but have gone back to the more traditional blue.
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

It was John P who wrote about the stripes, Lenoir.

I’m watching the Wigan/Manchester City FA cup match at present and Wigan are one-nil up with four minutes left to play. Come on Wigan! :D

Unbelievable - Wigan have beaten the mighty Manchester City, and are now in the FA Cup Quarter Finals. :D

Society Member