Football

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Football

Post by Eddie Muir »

Good wins for the Owls and Forest yesterday, John and Number 6. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

It certainly was a good day for Forest & the Owls, Eddie. Both teams desperately needed to win for different reasons. The Owls cemented themselves in the play-off's & Forest kept their heads just above the relegation trapdoor! Pity Brighton didn't win the other night. Two freakish goals sealed their fate, but at least they're promoted! :D
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Tonight is 'El Clásico'. I'm soo nervous! :shock: FC Barcelona has not been doing very good lately so I don't know if they have a good chance of winning against Real Madrid.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

It's an hard game to predict, Maria Esther, especially as Barcelona have been defensively poor just recently. However, if Messi is fit, then you've always got a good chance of winning! :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

There you go, Maria Esther, Messi scores the winner for Barcelona! As I said, you've always got a chance if Messi is fit & playing! :D
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Certainly!!! :D
You were absolutely right number 6! I was very thrilled this morning when I saw the results. A nice surprise for all fans as well! :lol:. And I was super glad to know that Messi scored two goals!
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

I thought readers of this column might be interested in this piece from the Biznews site:

There is a strong South African link in the amazing rejuvenation of English soccer club Lincoln City which this week won promotion back to the professional football league after a six year absence. Last month the club was the first non-league side in 103 years to make the quarter finals of England’s prestigious FA Cup – beating three top ranked teams along the way.

Lincoln City’s revival owes much to the involvement of South African Clive Nates, who decided to get involved in soccer after retiring after a successful career in money management. Nates picked the struggling amateur club because its chairman, who has a holiday home in Hout Bay, was prepared to allow him to be more than just a financial investor.

Using methods similar to those he employed when picking stocks, Nates spotted managerial duo Danny and Nicky Cowley whose arrival at Lincoln in May last year sparked the turnaround. Nates, who invested a reported £300,000 investment for a 25% stake, has also helped find the new players who have made all the difference.

Lincoln’s dream run in the FA Cup ended with a 5-0 drubbing at the Emirates Stadium. But it’s instructive that the club’s entire salary bill is only one tenth of that paid to a single player in that night’s opposition Arsenal team. Nates is clearly taking value investing to a new level.
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Very interesting, Lenoir. I'm delighted that Lincoln City have gained promotion to Division 2. They have had a great season and their promotion is thoroughly deserved. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

What a great bit of write up for all those involved at Lincoln, Lenoir! They've been outstanding all season & richly deserve their promotion. They'll be joining local rivals Mansfield Town & recently relegated Chesterfield in Division 2. They are always fiery derbys when these teams meet & it'll make it very interesting next season! :D
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

If SV Waldhof 07 Mannheim win this weekend their game, they're qualified for the expulsion games to the 3rd League. If not, there are still two more chances until the seasons ends.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm delighted that Forest have avoided relegation, Number 6. Sadly, Brighton missed out on winning the Championship title after poor results in their final three matches. Still they have gained promotion and have Premiership football to look forward to next season. Let's hope the Owls join the Seagulls and Newcastle via the playoffs, John. I'm also hoping that Kidderminster Harriers manage to get back into the Conference Premier by winning their playoff matches.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks, Eddie! I'm absolutely delighted that my relegation prediction didn't come true, but it was pretty close. It went down to the wire. Goal difference, that's all that kept Forest up! :D

Although Brighton didn't win the title, I'm very pleased that they've secured promotion. They deserved it. Hopefully, they'll have a good season & retain their premiership status. :D Take heart from Forest many years ago. They got into the old first division by the skin of their teeth & went on to win the title the following season! Anything is possible with a little belief!! Best wishes to Kidder. I also hope they get promoted, too!

Fingers crossed that the Owls join Brighton in the premiership next season, John! I predicted that they'd make the play-off's. They just need to finish the job now! Good luck! :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Good luck to the Owls tonight, John! I hope they make it through to the play-off final. Fingers crossed that they'll be playing the Seagulls next season! :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Hear! Hear! I agree with you entirely, Number 6. :D

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

It was certainly hard luck on the Owls last night, John. Losing in a penalty shoot-out is really hard to take. Forest have lost a few play-off's in the past, so I know how you must be feeling this morning! Hopefully, the Owls will have another crack at promotion next season. :|