Football

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Football

Post by John Pickup »

Mixed fortunes for our clubs this weekend. Great start for Forest, is this the start of a promotion season, Number 6? Dogged display from Brighton and three points for West Brom. I see that Kidderminster Harriers have started poorly, Eddie. I fancied them to climb out of that league this season.
Less said about Wednesday, the better. Players falling out behind the scenes, only one fit centre-half and the fans already calling for the manager's head. I'm off to see them at home to Sunderland on Wednesday night. Three points are the minimum requirement.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Mixed fortunes indeed, John. At least the Baggies and Forest have made a good start. Let's hope things start looking up for the Owls, the Seagulls and the Harriers.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I hope you have a good night on Wednesday and that the Owls get that required three points John. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

I see that Sunderland have just won away at Norwich 3-1. A tough match for us on Wednesday night, I fear. Thank you for your good wishes, Eddie.
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I fear that Forest remain a powder puff team! They lack any real leaders on the field, are without a few tough tackling defenders & have rode their luck quite a few times already this season! Promotion? No, I can't see it happening.
The seagulls did well, Eddie! However, I thought they played too deep & tried to shut City out by putting ten men behind the ball. Always a risky ploy! They didn't attack the opposition as much as I'd have liked. This invited City to put a lot of pressure on the home team. I think if they had been a bit braver in going forward, then I think they would've caused City some trouble. City were struggling to put two passes together for long periods of the game & weren't really playing well. This, I feel, was the Seagulls best chance of the game to get forward & cause City to make mistakes! I think they'll do well once they hit their stride.
The Owls will come good, no doubt & I feel they'll be in the play-off's come the end of the season. However, it's early days yet & our teams haven't got into any sort of rhythm yet! :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Your assessment of the Brighton match makes interesting reading, Number 6. :D

As you rightly say, it's early days and our teams haven't got into any sort of rhythm yet. However, I'm looking forward to following the progress of our teams in the coming weeks and months and will be hoping that they are all successful. :D

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Yes, I'll drink to that, Eddie! It'll be good if our respective teams had a great season & we all had a big smile on our faces come May! :D
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

Good to see Brighton get off the mark yesterday but beating Eddie's other team, West Bromwich Albion, would have dampened the celebrations.
I was at Hillsborough last night to see the Owls demolish Forest 3-1. I think we've beaten them in the last six meetings between the clubs and all I can say, Number 6, Forest need to learn how to defend set pieces.
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I was pleased to see Brighton win their first Premiership match yesterday, but It was a pity it was against West Brom, John. Still, let's hope this is a sign of better things to come for the Seagulls. You must be pleased with the Owls result against Forest. Not such a good result for Number 6. However, I notice that both teams have 9 points at the moment. It'll be interesting to see which team finishes higher in the Championship.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Congrats to the Owls. They thoroughly deserved the win, John! No complaints there at all. Our defence is shocking. It hasn't really changed since last season! The manager has brought in some good players, but failed to strengthen the back four. We persist with Matty Mills, for some reason only the boss knows, & Young Worrell is cream crackered after none stop footy for quite a number of months. Then he overlooks Hobbs, etc. :roll: I'm afraid my pre-season prediction is emerging & it'll be a case of squeaky bum time come the end of the season if nothing changes! The Owls will be up there, though. I can see them pushing for automatic promotion! :cry:

Great result for Brighton yesterday, Eddie! I bet it was a mixed day of emotions for you, though! I think if the Seagulls continue with the same level of energy, belief & confidence, then I think they'll stay up & do well for their first season back. I also think the Baggies will do ok, too! :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

It was certainly a day of mixed emotions for me, Number 6 but, if anyone was going to beat the Baggies, I was glad that it was the Seagulls. :D

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

I suppose you couldn't lose either way, Eddie! :lol:
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Very true, Number 6. :lol:

Society Member
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

My son has just contacted me to offer me a free match ticket for tomorrow night's home game against Brentford. Well, it would be rude to refuse.... :D
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

It would indeed, John. :wink:

Society Member