Football

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Football

Post by John Pickup »

Good old Forest. Doing the job we should have done. As for being hard to predict, Number 6, I disagree. Wednesday won't win. 8)
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Well, The Owls have had a blip recently, but so have Leeds. Maybe it's their turn to have a dip in form? Derby's are always difficult to predict. A perfect example is your game against the Blades. I would've put my shirt on the Owls coming away with a win, but look what happened! Maybe your team will turn the corner & put one over on them! Let's hope so. :D
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Poor result for the Seagulls, but what a great result for the Owls. You must be delighted, John. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

I am delighted, Eddie, and that made a mess of my confident prediction. 3-0 is a great result but the referee missed a blatant handball and a subsequent penalty for us and Kieran Lee had a perfectly good goal ruled out for offside when the Sky cameras showed it was clearly onside. Bannan and Hooper both hit the woodwork and Fletcher missed a clear chance with the goal at his mercy. So we should have had seven or eight! Leeds were dreadful.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I didn't know you could have handballs in Association footy like we do in Aussie footy. :D :wink: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

After a ‘week off’ our Premiership and Championship teams are back in action between tomorrow and Monday, John and Number 6. Let’s hope it’s a successful few days for all our teams. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks Eddie. My home town team, Gainsborough Trinity are away at Harrogate Town in the FA Cup tomorrow so good luck to them as well. Are Kidderminster still involved in the Cup, Eddie?
Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Although no one here pays much attention to international soccer, I'm absolutely delighted that Argentina qualified with a masterful hat trick from Mr.Messi :wink:
And USA have bowed out but it's ok soccer ain't our thing
You can call me Sunskriti!
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

John Pickup wrote:Thanks Eddie. My home town team, Gainsborough Trinity are away at Harrogate Town in the FA Cup tomorrow so good luck to them as well. Are Kidderminster still involved in the Cup, Eddie?
Good luck to Gainsborough Trinity, John. Kidderminster are playing Chester in the FA Cup tomorrow. Good luck to them too. :D

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Eddie Muir wrote:After a ‘week off’ our Premiership and Championship teams are back in action between tomorrow and Monday, John and Number 6. Let’s hope it’s a successful few days for all our teams. :D
Let's hope so, Eddie! I'm hoping the Reds see off the Sheep on Sunday! That'll make my day. Good luck to Gainsborough T & Kidderminster in the FA Cup today. It would be nice to see a weekend of good results go our way! :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Darrell71 wrote:Although no one here pays much attention to international soccer, I'm absolutely delighted that Argentina qualified with a masterful hat trick from Mr.Messi :wink:
And USA have bowed out but it's ok soccer ain't our thing
I'm glad Argentina have made it to the finals, Darrell71. The World Cup would be a poorer tournament without the likes of Messi.
I must confess, though, I'm not a big fan of international footie. I find it quite tedious & boring most of the time. However, If I'm having trouble sleeping, then I'll watch England play. It's like watching paint dry. It usually does the trick & I'm out like a light for the night within minutes of the kick-off!! :lol:
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

Great result for Gainsborough Trinity and Kidderminster Harriers. Both clubs in the hat for the 1st Round Proper of the FA Cup. :D
Great result for Bolton Wanderers today, gaining their first point of the season at home after six defeats. Sheffield Wednesday found them harder than a woodpecker's lips. :(
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Congrats to both Gainsborough T & Kidderminster H on their respective cup wins! :D

A bit of a shock result for the Owls, John. I had them down to turn Bolton over, but I suppose someone was going to come a cropper against them at some stage. I actually thought Bolton wouldn't win their first game until they played Forest! :roll:
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

number 6 wrote: I must confess, though, I'm not a big fan of international footie. I find it quite tedious & boring most of the time. However, If I'm having trouble sleeping, then I'll watch England play. It's like watching paint dry. It usually does the trick & I'm out like a light for the night within minutes of the kick-off!! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree, number 6, it can be terribly boring at times. But some teams, such as Argentina and Germany, (I dislike the German team, tho) have a unique, thrilling style and when they're in form it's truly a delight to watch. But I'm more interested in the La Liga and Champions League, mainly because FC Barcelona is near and dear to me.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

number 6 wrote:Congrats to both Gainsborough T & Kidderminster H on their respective cup wins! :D

A bit of a shock result for the Owls, John. I had them down to turn Bolton over, but I suppose someone was going to come a cropper against them at some stage. I actually thought Bolton wouldn't win their first game until they played Forest! :roll:
Thanks, Number 6. It was a good day for both Gainsborough and Kidderminster. It’ll be interesting to see who they get drawn against in the next round. :D Perhaps against each other. Sorry that the Owls got beaten today, John. :cry:

Society Member