Kiwi members?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Kiwi members?

Post by Ming »

I thought I would update on my travels so far. :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k8gii ... sp=sharing

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Wow, Ming... would it be easier for you to list where in NZ you haven't been?? :D :wink: Good to hear from you again — I'm sure lots of others here, too, would love to hear more about your travels and adventures so far.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Wow! Glad you're making the most of these opportunities and living life to the full, Ming!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Wow great stuff Ming. You've just about covereed the whole country by the looks of it. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Did you find any volcano of adventure, Ming?
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Wolfgang wrote:Did you find any volcano of adventure, Ming?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Wow Ming!! You do know a lot of places!! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

Ming wrote:I thought I would update on my travels so far. :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k8gii ... sp=sharing
That's incredible how many places you've been to, Ming. I've always wanted to go to New Zealand, as it's such a beautiful country. :)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Talking of New Zealand, just earlier today my dad (in Australia) sent me this link to Air New Zealand's rather quirky new ad... just thought Ming and others here might like to see it as well. :wink:

(If you're wondering about the "pav" comment, that's short for pavlova — over which there's a long-standing dispute as to whether the Aussies or Kiwis invented it. But the oldest known recipe comes from New Zealand, so the Kiwis are having a subtle dig at the Aussie goose's ignorance. :P It's all in fun, though — Aussies and Kiwis enjoy sending each other up, but we love each other really! Except on the sports field, of course. :mrgreen: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Ming

Post by Ming »

That was a hilarious advert, Courtenay - had me in peals of laughter. Air New Zealand is amazing and I've had good experiences every time. Their safety videos are very funny too - one was about Middle Earth!

Yup, I've covered much of the country! The south and southeast is still left to be explored, though. Hopefully soon - I've only got just over a month left and I want to make the best of it. Over spring break I also went to Rarotonga for my research, where I've been testing non-invasive ways of describing and locating archaelogical structures using geophysical methods such as multispectral and thermal photography.
Wolfgang wrote:Did you find any volcano of adventure, Ming?
You bet I did. :lol:

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/1 ... 6575_o.jpg - This one in front of Mount Ngaurahoe, which was Mount Doom in the Lord of the Rings films. Mount Ruapehu and Mount Ngaurahoe, which are side by side, are both active volcanoes and are overdue for an eruption.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4233_o.jpg

This is inside the volcanic crater of White Island, New Zealand's most active volcano. The yellow stuff on the ground is sulfur and the steam is rising from an acidic lake.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 0441_o.jpg

And here's me next to the lake.

I hope you weren't joking when you asked about volcanoes, Wolfgang! :lol:

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

No Ming, you had already posted pictures of volcanos, so I knew about it, I just wanted to know if there was a special "Volcano of Adventure". :-)
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Ming wrote:That was a hilarious advert, Courtenay - had me in peals of laughter. Air New Zealand is amazing and I've had good experiences every time. Their safety videos are very funny too - one was about Middle Earth!
I've never flown with Air New Zealand, but they do have a very good reputation (and are known for funny ads). As for Middle-Earth, I have an auntie who went for a holiday in NZ some years ago and visited the location where they filmed The Shire in the Lord of the Rings movies — "but you know, there was no little hobbit village there," she informed us sadly, as if she really expected there to be one! :wink:

My one complaint about the ad would be that we don't actually have any species of large white migratory geese in Australia (or New Zealand) — that one looks like an ordinary domestic goose, the sort that definitely wouldn't be flying across the Pacific at any time (in an aeroplane or otherwise). :shock: We only have two native goose species, the Cape Barren goose and the Magpie goose, neither of which are white (one's grey, the other is black and white) and neither of which migrate to America. But it's still a good ad. :mrgreen:
Society Member

Ming

Post by Ming »

Aurelien, in case you see this before you check your email, please check your email!

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Ming wrote:Aurelien, in case you see this before you check your email, please check your email!
Sorry about that, Ming. I check my e-mails regularly, except when my computer is misbehaving, as (unlike your generation) I don't have any alternative devices that I can use to access these e-mails.

Late Saturday night I restarted my pc to deal with one problem, only to have the restart stalled for hours on that Windows update screen which warns one not to turn one's computer off 'cos it's busy updating. Not sure what it was updating. I had downloaded & installed Windows KB3200970, KB890830, and KB3202790 the day before but, as I always do, I checked afterwards to be sure that there were no failed updates. Some non-Windows updates use the Windows Installer, without :? the courtesy of telling you that they are updating........or even that they have updated.

Hope to see you Tuesday morning. Let me know if 10.30 am doesn't work for you.

'Aurélien Arkadiusz'

PS
You've seen more of NZ than I have this century!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Have fun, Ming and Aurélien! :D
Society Member