International Women's Day

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

International Women's Day

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Very happy wishes to all the women in the forums! Hope you have an excellent day. HAPPY WOMEN'S INTERNATIONAL DAY!!! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Re: Women's International Day

Post by Francis »

Not being female but having had a mother, grandmother, sister, female cousins, girlfriends, wife, female friends, I can truly say that I fully support WOMEN'S INTERNATIONAL DAY.
Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

When I was young, I never realized, that despite being in 21st century, what women empowerment meant but with the passage of time I have learnt what it means to be a girl / a women. We may not see, but in a world full of men domineering women its a big deal to stand up for yourself, fight against social norms and believe in yourself even when you are not physically as strong as men.
Most of you may not agree, but we all know a women's life is way tougher than a man's, if she has to be independent.

So my salute to all the women out there, happy women's day!
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

It depends on where that woman lives and how conservative the society around her is, but in a majority of cases, a woman's life is tougher that a man's. Not in all cases though. Anyways, Happy Women's International Day!
You can call me Sunskriti!
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

Sunskriti, I had the same perceptions but whether its conservative or not, women are somehow or the other dominated and not in all , but in many places they have to struggle and fight.
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

Nah. There are exceptions and in quite a few places they can live equally.
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

Darrell71 wrote:Nah. There are exceptions and in quite a few places they can live equally.
I was not talking about, conservative areas in the first place. I am talking generally, of how a women is dominated naturally or, places which are mostly dominated by men in the modern day.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

In all my life so far (most of it spent in Australia), I can honestly say I have never once felt "dominated" by men or discriminated against in any way all for being a woman. But I'm well aware that I have a LOT of women before me, with a huge amount of courage and determination on their part, to thank for that privilege.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I've been dominated by women all of my life. :|
Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

:lol: :lol:
I know what you mean Nigel..... :lol: It's actually funny to imagine you being dominated by anyone, man or woman.
zaidi wrote:
Darrell71 wrote:Nah. There are exceptions and in quite a few places they can live equally.
I was not talking about, conservative areas in the first place. I am talking generally, of how a women is dominated naturally or, places which are mostly dominated by men in the modern day.
OK, so you aren't talking about geographical areas? Now I get what you mean. In any case though, the world is a much better place today, and I think it's not that bad in many places. (geographical or otherwise)
My school makes girls wear a punjabi dress (salwaar kameez), which is uncool, uncomfortable, inconvenient, unsuitable for the hot weather, etc etc. Boys can wear whatever they want. It's better than having a uniform, but I wish we could wear whatever we want. However, it has more to do with wearing traditional clothes rather than with being a girl. The guys are supposed to wear a kurta but it's not a rule so of course they don't do it.
I hate traditional clothes...... for me, a jeans/short and a t shirt is the best! :D
Other than that I've never been discriminated against.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Even if women aren't really discriminated, there is still a lot of male chauvinism. Like, women are supposed to do the jobs within their house such as cooking. And females are still seen as inferior. That is way we all need to fight for our rights. Just stop women objectification and we will be a step closer for the same rights.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

Yes, Machupicchu14 , you are right.
Naturally, men are usually taller and stronger, women need extra hardwork to pull up to that level if they want to fight or do more of male oriented jobs. Like if I am around 5-3 ,a normal boy would be around 5-8. That gives alot of extra advantage.
There are a lot of male chauvnists, who think its a women's job to look after the baby, or cook for the house or looking after. Thats what I've seen everywhere, women get pregnant, yet they should still be the ones to take care of the baby,and not their husbands.

how do you get dominated Nigel :lol: ?
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

zaidi wrote: how do you get dominated Nigel :lol: ?
I can imagine, but I'll keep my mouth shut! :mrgreen: :lol: :wink:

It's true about women being expected to do the housework, it's a sad reality and it needs to be stopped. The problem is in the women themselves. They think it's OK and natural for them to do everything. Why shouldn't guys cook? If women feel that something unfair is going on, they can rise against it, as countless sections of society have illustrated through history. But most women don't even think about it twice. :evil: :cry:
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Darrell71 wrote:Why shouldn't guys cook?
Well, exactly. I've always been proud of the fact that both my parents are good cooks and in fact Dad is better at it than Mum! 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Darrell71 wrote:It's true about women being expected to do the housework, it's a sad reality and it needs to be stopped.
I don't think this is true at all. In my experience, women and men have an equal share of housework and cookery to do, and it isn't just down to the woman. For example, in my home, my dad does most of the housework, whilst my Mum makes all the meals. Also, my older brother and I have an equal share of responsibilities, despite the fact that I'm a girl and he's a boy. Even in my grandparent's household, my Granddad does all the dusting, washing up, etc, and even cooks a few meals now and again! Maybe it depends on the culture, but in my experience, regarding household duties, etc, men and women are pretty equal nowadays.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member