News from the Ginger Pop Shop

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Re: News from the Ginger Pop Shop

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Terribly sorry Viv. I only managed to get down once but I will never forget it. I hope you find somewhere else soon. :(
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Just caught up with this thread. It's such a shame that Ginger Pop is closing, I've visited on a couple of occasions. Best wishes for the future Viv.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

Sorry to hear about your sad news, Viv. I hope you can find somewhere else to open up another shop or attraction in the not too distant future.
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Sorry to hear the news Viv. I really hope that you manage to find some new premises soon and look forward to visiting the shop in the near future.
Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

I hope you're able to reopen soon, Viv. I wish you every success.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

It has been a bad year for me thus far.

Last week my business partner Mark died of cancer.

I've explained my feelings on the Ginger Pop website

http://www.gingerpop.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Viv, sorry to hear about your business partner.

I found your comments very interesting, and extremely frustrating. I'd forgotten just how much hard work you'd put in to try and do justice to Enid's connection with Dorset. I did visit Ginger Pop once, and certainly didn't leave empty handed, at least one Golly related item was among my purchases. :D

I realise I must be hopelessly out of touch with the 'real' world - how can a book not have a beginning?

I hope that you can find something else that will make welcome use of your obvious talents for hard work and organisation.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Oh Viv - I'm so dreadfully sorry to read of Mark's death - I had the pleasure of meeting him and know what a lovely man he was. Reading your link makes for depressing reading too. I am glad I have had the opportunity of seeing both your enterprises and appreciate all the work you put into them both. The Eileen Soper place in Poole was a delight. I could have spent much longer there than I was able to. My best wishes to you.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Sorry to hear about your business partner, Viv.

Very interesting to read your link - its sad that these things have happened - and I agree with all you've said about Hachette etc. I was quite shocked to hear how the publishers have dumbed-down stories such as The Secret Island'. Its quite stunningly diabolical that modern authors can include child abuse, beatings, swearing, murders in their books (depending on age range) but Enid isn't allowed to show the children's aunt slapping Nora - which is a big plot point. Without the 'violence' the children experience, and the real hatred from their aunt, the would probably not have been so miserable and wouldn't have run away. As a child I found their Aunt despicable - but I certainly wasn't traumatised for life having read about her. This sort of messing with the plot disgusts me, quite frankly. No wonder people think (wrongly) that Enid is all fluffy and light and has no realism in her stories!

And then there's the first chapter of The Secret Of The Old Mill. I had heard about that, and still can't fathom it. Of course, publishers say that children don't like books with beginnings...they prefer a book to start with a bang, I guess, rather than setting the scene.
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 12 Feb 2017, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm very sorry indeed to hear about Mark, Viv. So sad for you and everyone who knew him.

I'm sorry too about all the business troubles and I hope that at some point in the future you'll have the opportunity to open up another shop or attraction. The Ginger Pop Shop and Eileen Soper's Illustrated Worlds were both really lovely.

All I can say is that I'm thinking of you at what must be a terrible time.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Thanks folks (friends!)

I was deeply upset about the failure at Poole, and then that's when I dropped out of these Forums. I was fed-up with the broader subject - not the friends I have here!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Viv, I'm so sorry to hear of Mark's death, plus all the other issues that have led to you closing the shop. My thoughts and condolences are with you.

I am outright gaping at some of the attitudes towards Blyton you describe (including from the publishers!!) and I reckon it's the biggest shame that things have come to this. There are so many people out there who DO love Enid Blyton — genuine, unexpurgated, non-dumbed-down Blyton — and not just older adults, either, but young people as well. As anyone can tell from this forum community, and I'm sure we're not the only ones out there! :wink:

I'm glad I was able to visit the Corfe Castle Ginger Pop Shop twice, and the Poole shop and Eileen Soper's Illustrated Worlds once as well. I wish I could have made it there many more times — both your shops were absolute treasure troves and a delight to explore.

I can only hope one day things will come full circle, so to speak, and there'll be a greater awareness of how unfairly Enid and her books have been trashed in the last couple of decades and a greater appreciation of what she wrote and all she achieved. Sending you all good wishes, Viv, and hoping things will look brighter for you — and your great love of all things Blyton — in the future.
Last edited by Courtenay on 13 Feb 2017, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm very sorry to hear the sad news about Mark, Viv.

I have just read your comments on the Ginger Pop website with great interest.

I wish you good wishes for the future and hope that you will be able to open another shop to replace the super one you had in Corfe.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Extremely saddened to hear of your troubles, Viv. I've read your Ginger Pop Shop web comments with an heavy heart. I really hope that there's light at the end of the tunnel for you soon. Good luck for the future.

PS:- Keep dropping in on the forums. Keep in touch.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Gosh, this is so sad, Viv. I'm so sorry about Mark, a lovely man, who as you know I met many many times.

Please accept mine and Stephen's condolences.

It will seem odd to us now when in Corfe, not to pop into the Ginger Pop shop, of which as you know I used to enjoy popping into for a chat. I am truly very sorry for your loss of both Mark and your Blyton shops. :cry:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member