News from the Ginger Pop Shop

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: News from the Ginger Pop Shop

Post by Courtenay »

Hope you do well at the steam fair, Viv — it looks like a great event.

Just thinking about the video, I find it so telling that the only government ever to officially ban golliwogs was Nazi Germany — and not because they were deemed insulting to black people, but because they might make Aryan children think of black people as their equals... :x

I'm now wishing I could collect a few of those lovely Robertson's badges! But I'm sure they're getting more and more expensive by the day.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Yes - my own research (modest :) )

Thanks for Thumbs Up and kind comments on the YouTube channel :D Please pass the link round to everyone who may (or even may not!) be interested. Especially "diversity" officers...

I can honestly say that the only way to move in my lounge at the moment is sideways - boxes of golly stuff everywhere!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

On our annual visit to the GDSF yesterday, it was our pleasure to see that Viv had a stall in one of the craft marquees. I am a little puzzled by the title, Je suis Golliwogg, however, as it reminds me of the terrorist attack in France.

Here are a couple of photos of the Ginger Pop stall.

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Great photos, Nigel - I think the 'Je suis Golliwog' is to show defiance at being unjustifiably attacked through ignorance and prejudice.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

This is a bit of a tangent, but this article/video reminded me of the golliwog controversy today. There's a young black American model who has a rare condition that gives her white patches on her skin. Some of her fans, in support, have been painting their skin to look like hers. This has attracted controversy from some quarters on the grounds that what these fans are doing is "blackface" makeup and therefore racist. Yet the model herself, Winnie Harlow, has stated openly that she doesn't find it offensive at all and is touched by the gesture. But that hasn't stopped the barrage of protests — in fact, she herself was denigrated by some commentators for her response.

Doesn't it seem familiar, especially in light of Viv's excellent video on something else that is written off as "racist" on similarly flimsy grounds? :x
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Looks as though you had a nice-sized space for your stall, Viv. Hope you made plenty of sales!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

an indescribable number of things went wrong on Wednesday (my lovely assistant thought the event was next week and the cherry on the cake was getting out my mum's travel kettle for a cuppa and finding the lead was for Europe..) and sales were abysmal.

Yesterday my lovely assistant turned up at 11.00 and fortune changed. Those who have seen the film Je suis golliwgg will have seen Chaka Artwell, and he could sell gollies in a style all of his own! Most of all, he gave white people "permission" to feel good about their gollies. We sold out of the cheaper ones and had to send John back for more stock!

He's back on Saturday, so today I'm selling tin toys :lol:

Viv
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for the update, Viv. Hope your stall does well over the next few days!

By the way, you said earlier in the thread that you were bringing out facsimiles of Florence and Bertha Upton's The Adventures of Two Dutch Dolls and a 'Golliwogg' in paperback and hardback. Are the books available yet, and how much are they selling for?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Viv was selling them, Anita. She had a sample copy for people to look through and I should have bought one. :cry:
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Sorry to hear of the difficulties Viv but you and the stall both look great and I'm glad it seems to have sorted itself out now.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Moonraker wrote:Viv was selling them, Anita. She had a sample copy for people to look through and I should have bought one. :cry:
:evil:

However, Nigel was lucky. One of the things that went wrong was that soon after we discovered that the glue of the sample book was disintegrating, as was the book. As were the books in the rest of the box.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The printer has the glue-machine-mender in. But there was no-way that either of the books would be ready for the stand, and I was assuming that sales would be high... :cry:

It's been a cr**p week

Viv
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Sorry to hear of all these difficulties, Viv. Just a thought — at least the problem with the book binding was discovered before you'd sold dozens of copies, so you won't have dozens of dissatisfied customers finding their books falling apart!

I'm so glad you've reprinted the book — I'd love to buy a copy, once they're ready. And I am still determined to buy at least one of your gollies one of these days as well, if only I can make it to Dorset again some time!

That's fantastic that Chaka Artwell was there to help you and will be back tomorrow. I was really moved by what we heard of him in your video and I love what you say about how he gives "white people 'permission' to feel good about their gollies". Brilliant! I wish I could meet him and shake his hand.

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow and a much happier day all round, just as you deserve! :D
Society Member

Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I wonder why things go wrong in runs - hopefully, Viv, things will now go right in runs as well. I do hope so.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Maybe the PC police had put a curse on the stall...
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Today was the last day of trading for the Ginger Pop Shop at its location in the Town House, The Square, Corfe Castle.

After over three years of uncertainty, the lease of the former post office has been sold.

There is a very small chance of something re-opening, but maybe not this year.

Thank-you to everyone who has supported me over the years.

Viv Endecott