News from the Ginger Pop Shop

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moonraker

Re: News from the Ginger Pop Shop

Post by Moonraker »

Really sad news, Viv. I too met Mark on several occasions. What a year you have had. I will always remember the opening of your Poole shop which you kindly invited Tony and me to attend. It was a really well-designed shop - in fact, the term shop does it injustice - it was so much more.

Reading your website announcement, I agree with all the points you make. I am so pleased to have grown up in the 50s where I could read Blyton before publishers considered that they knew far more than the children reading her books, or the author herself.

I can only pray that your luck changes and you can return to some form or retailing in the future. Maybe a second-hand bookshop in Corfe would be something to think about, although the internet and charity shops seem to have played a part in closing so many of these. Do keep in touch.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am very sorry to hear the sad news about Mark.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Terribly sorry that you lost your business partner, Viv.

What a wonderful summary on your website which reminds us of the wonderful work you have done on Enid's behalf - well done Viv.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I am sorry to hear the sad news about Mark, Viv.
I read your link with interest and have to agree with the points you make.
I last visited your shop with Julie last July, I'm very sad that it has closed.
Best wishes for the future.
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I cannot think of anybody more feisty than Viv has been in the noble art of defending Enid's legacy.
I hope we will see a reincarnation of her shop,
Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

"modern children don’t particularly like books that have a beginning"
:shock: :?: :!: That is the weirdest statement I've heard in a while. Whatever does it mean? Sure, cryptic beginnings are interesting, but that doesn't mean normal ones AREN'T!! If all books had cryptic beginnings it would be a shame. EB books have traditionally had mild, normal beginnings and endings, and awesome middles! (That probably sounds weird) I seriously disagree with that statement, and I'd call myself a 'modern child'. :roll: :roll:

In any case, Viv, so sorry to hear about your business partner. I hadn't met him, but I'm sure he was a great man. RIP. :(

Interesting article, and highly frustrating, especially about the 2009 film and about what happened to the Dorset events. :x
You can call me Sunskriti!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I am also truly sorry to hear about Mark. I never met him but it sounds like he was a wonderful person. It's also galling that you have had to close down your two wonderful businesses. All I can say there is that you actually did it! You had a dream and you made it come true. Sure It didn't last but you can do something again hopefully and I really hope that you do. In the meantime you achieved more with those ventures than many others achieve in a lifetime so you have much to be proud of.

Despite the sombre news it is very good to hear from you again.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Lucky Star wrote:All I can say there is that you actually did it! You had a dream and you made it come true. Sure It didn't last but you can do something again hopefully and I really hope that you do. In the meantime you achieved more with those ventures than many others achieve in a lifetime so you have much to be proud of.
Well said, Lucky Star. Viv, I do hope that some way opens up for you to revive your Blyton work in the future — and in the meantime, I'm sure everyone here would agree that we'd love to hear from you here still from time to time.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Definitely, Viv! Don't be a stranger on here! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Dear Viv,what a really tough time you have had with it all.
Sincere condolences on the loss of Mark.

Pete
xx
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

I'm so sorry about your double loss, Viv. What a terrible start to the year for you.
Courtenay wrote:
Lucky Star wrote:All I can say there is that you actually did it! You had a dream and you made it come true. Sure It didn't last but you can do something again hopefully and I really hope that you do. In the meantime you achieved more with those ventures than many others achieve in a lifetime so you have much to be proud of.
Well said, Lucky Star. Viv, I do hope that some way opens up for you to revive your Blyton work in the future — and in the meantime, I'm sure everyone here would agree that we'd love to hear from you here still from time to time.
Yes, I absolutely agree with these thoughts. I feel sad that I never had the opportunity to visit either shop. Very best wishes to you Viv.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
timv

Post by timv »

Sorry to hear the sad news about Mark and your shop, Viv. Corfe Castle won't seem the same without the Blyton shop; the Post Office problem of expiring leases seems to be getting really bad in this part of the UK and in my own area of S Hants four have closed in the past year. It's frustrating to have the Ginger Pop shop close with the reopening of the rail link from Corfe to the main line at Wareham coming up in the next year (albeit delayed) and bringing in more tourists.
I am sure that the continuing Blyton connection to Purbeck should provide some opportunity to start another business in the area; perhaps shop premises in Swanage will become available, cheaper than the sort of rent that would be demanded in Poole or Dorchester.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's good to see the support Viv's shops had on the website - and I fully supported them too of course, even though I never got to visit - but I think people are slightly missing the point that even if Viv had another premises to use as a Blyton shop, it would be a struggle to make ends meet because she can't compete with the cheaper book prices of supermarkets and other book sale type shops. I think that was one of the main issues. :-(
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 19 Feb 2017, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

The other thing is Business Rates which the likes of Amazon and the discounters are paying on average less compared to small businesses like Viv's.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Sorry to hear the sad news, Viv. You can always sell your items online. No premise, no rent, no hired staff.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!