Dr Who

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Paul Austin

Re: Dr Who

Post by Paul Austin »

there's also this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60shMyabeMo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

Battlefield's amusing for the moment where Bambera goes "Oh, shame!".

So what did she *really* mean to say?

1) "Blast!"

2) "Oh, gosh and bother!"

3) "Gee, I'm annoyed with myself!"

Send in the correct answer to:

The "Bambera goes ****"" competition

BBC BROADCASTING HOUSE
lONDON
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I became a "proper" Doctor Who fan around 1987 and put up with a lot (*coughs* Delta and the Bannermen, The Happiness Patrol), but I think 1989's Battlefield was the first time I openly admitted that even MY programme had its duff moments!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

For me, Dr Who went 'off' around the mid 1980's...I preferred Tom Baker, Peter Davidson, and Colin Baker. I guess 'our era' is the one that sticks with us!

I do admit the effects have improved a lot since those days though! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Well, I became a fan when I was five, and Tom Baker was the Doctor. I really thought the quality of the show had completely disappeared during the Colin Baker era. No fault of Colin Baker, it was really the quality of the writing and the quality of the production. I have a hard time understanding why there are fans who think the Colin Baker era was somehow the best era of the show.

In the 1980's fans started saying "Hey, it isn't as good now as it was in the 70's" and the BBC said "No, you just are misremembering the show from the 1970's. The show from the 70's wasn't as good as you are imagining it." But the 80's was the first decade of VCRs and video tapes, so fans good buy video tapes of Doctor Who in the 1970's and watch them, and say "No, it isn't tricks of the memory, it really was better in the 1970s!"
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Definitely agree that Tom Baker was the best doctor - my interest fizzled out during the Colin Baker era, but these were the three doctors that made the biggest impression - Tom being number 1. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Oh, I've been watching since 1976 and Tom Baker was definitely my Doctor. It was just after a conversation at school in 1987 that I suddenly realised I wasn't merely a regular viewer - I was the world's biggest fan! Doctor Who always had been and always would be the greatest series ever.

Unfortunately, 1987 also coincided with the start of the show's rapid downfall...
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

The Doctor may be the Oncoming Storm but Sylvester McCoy was the Mumbling Drizzle.
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

Results of a Yougov poll over people's perceptions of how fictional characters would vote in the EU referendum:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/05/29/br ... rs-brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Doctor, as you might expect, is solidly pro-Remain but wouldn't have a vote anyway. Pretty much everyone else seems reasonably judged except that Sir Humphrey is probably closer to the middle, I doubt Sherlock Holmes would care one way or the other, and do people seriously imagine that they can judge Captain Birdseye's political views from a few 30 second adverts for fishfingers?!!!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm amazed that The Doctor is pro-remain! I would have imagined he'd be all for independence! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Back in the early 70s, The Curse of Peladon was a sort of sci-fi version of joining the Common Market which was being debated at the time, and it was making out it was a very good thing. Although I think the sequel set fifty years later was suggesting it hadn't been so great after all.
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

Mmm, but in that case the villains were anti-Federation forces posing as the Federation to cause trouble, so a New Who* remake would have Azaxyr turn out to be Nigel Farage in a rubber mask.

There's also a hint that the broader problems are being caused by the Peladonian nobles creaming off the benefits of Federation membership for themselves (but this isn't developed because the actual scripts were written by Terrance in a hurry and a lot of Hayles' plot vanished in the process). In any case the Doctor is typically cosmopolitan in his outlook and opposed to the kind of cultural insularity and xenophobia that underlies about 90% of Brexit rhetoric, so I can't see him as anything other than a Remainer, if he had a vote.

* Funnily enough while most eligible Old Who companions strike me as pro-Remain, most of the New Who ones seem to me to be pro-Leave. Except the self-obsessed Moffat-created ones who probably haven't even noticed that there's a referendum on.
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

Chris Eccleston recently gave an interview supporting an anti-bullying campaign and revealing that as a child he had both been bullied and been a bully himself.
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

I started watching Dr Who, from the 3rd Doctor onwards. Jon Pertwee's Era. I still remember being scared by the Keller Machine, in The Mind Of Evil.

My brother and I were too late, really, to watch the Hartnell and Troughton Era's, unless the BBC (and later the ABC), showed repeats of them.
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

The major problem with "The Enemy of the World" is, as has been pointed out, Troughton frequently visits the 21st century, yet no-one ever says "Hold on, you look just like Salamander, that world saviour/dictator who iinexplicably vanished in 2017."