Dr Who

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Dr Who

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I've just crept out from behind the sofa to post this e-mail...

Did anyone elso see tonights episode of Dr Who?

The last time that I saw Maureen Lipman dressed up in a nice 1950s frock was as our beloved EB in Sunny Stories.

But tonight in Dr Who, there she was looking just like Enid, but as a nice TV presenter who was about to suck my face off? :twisted:

aaaaahH

Viv

(creeps off to back behind sofa - where's my mummy????)
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

I saw it whilst simultaneously rebuilding a computer, so wasn't really concentrating - am going to watch it tonight on BBC3...

"Are you sitting comfortably?"
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Bah! Stop teasing me! I'm a lifelong Doctor Who fan and it galls me that America is so far behind in showing the new series. Sci-Fi channel picked it up in March, so I'm currently nearing the end of the first series (just watched the second part of the war-time one -- "Are you my mummy?").

A lot of the episodes have been too silly and comedic for my liking. I liked Father's Day, where Rose saves her dad from a hit-and-run, and Dalek, where the lone Dalek shows what it's made of, and I like the two-parter I mentioned above. But how's the second series in comparison? I suspect David Tennant is going to be much better as the Doctor, and I hope Russel T Davies has dropped the silly gags and played it all a little more seriously.

Having owned 110 books back in the 80s (I got to the point where I had every single book published at that time), and watched every single one of the original episodes week-by-week from start to finish on UK Gold (took a whole year), I really want to like this new Doctor Who series and not be embarrassed by silliness... like monsters that emerge from human suits with zips on the foreheads... and terrible foes that consist of a flap of skin with a face on... I mean, be serious!!!

The lone Dalek episode was pretty good, except that it pains me that the "gravitation" is soooooooo slow. How about a Dalek that whips about in the air, too fast to run from, instead of having it rise slowly straight upwards and then, seconds later, turn in a slow circle. I mean, it's just not threatening enough. But that's Doctor Who all over -- worse than the old rubber suited aliens was the fact that they all ambled about at the speed of an old man on a walking frame.

*Sigh* I didn't get a chance to watch a new episode while I was visiting, but I know the Cybermen were on. How were they?
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

There are some pics and reviews of the new series on this site:

http://www.gallifreyone.com/

Personally, I thought the Cybermen weren't as scary in earlier stories. Still a pretty good foe though.
Society Member
Lulie

Post by Lulie »

I missed both the usual Saturday episode and the re-run today thanks to silly hospital visiting hours :evil: I'll have to catch up somehow!
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

moonraker wrote:I thought the Cybermen weren't as scary in earlier stories. Still a pretty good foe though.
I always thought they were "scarier" than the Daleks (especially since the old BBC budget didn't stretch very far and Daleks couldn't get up the stairs). Just keep the Cybermen away from gold and they're pretty versatile.

In case you don't know, they first turned up in Doctor Who in the episode The Tenth Planet, William Hartnell's last episode in 1966. Mondas is, apparently, Earth's exact twin planet, but it drifted out of orbit. The human inhabitants began extending their lives by replacing body parts with cybernetics, thus the Cybermen were born. There's some pretty hefty flights of fantasy in the Doctor Who lore, almost like Blyton herself would write, that says Mondas is identical to Earth even down to the shape of the continents. Hmm. And the Cybermen installed a propulsion system within Mondas' core to steer it around the galaxy. And you thought George Lucas' Death Star was unique!

Now if only the Cybermen could come up against the Famous Five. Do you think Julian would stand them down? Intimidate them with his "frightfully grown up manner" and annoyingly polite but cutting words?
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Keith Robinson wrote: I always thought they were "scarier" than the Daleks (especially since the old BBC budget didn't stretch very far and Daleks couldn't get up the stairs).
Oh yes they could!! - they cornered the Dr (McCoy) in the school playground, and as he ran up the steps to the door, with darkness rapidly falling, we thought it was a definite escape, but wait, what's this strange light under the child of Davros?!?! No, no it can't be, the Darleks are.... they're..... Levitating!

Ahem sorry, typing that brought it all back to me. :oops:
Tony Summerfield

Dr Who

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Whilst you were all sitting in the pub after the EB Day, I was sitting at home with a strong drink in my hand, watching David Tennant doing his bit as a teacher in a school inhabited by giant bat-like aliens!!

Best wishes
Tony
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Oh yes they could!!
Yes, I know they first did that in McCoy's era, but he wasn't very good, and Bonnie Langford... oh dear. Colin Baker was bad too. I stopped watching after Peter Davison regenerated.

But anyway, the point is that throughout the REAL Doctor Who (the first 4-5 Doctors), the Daleks were ground-bound. In fact, in the first Dalek story they were only able to travel on metal floors, because they needed the power generated through the floor, but in the Tom Baker episode Genesis of the Daleks, which took place before the "original" story, they were rolling about on the dirt outside the city. Hmm.

Continuity, eh?
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Re: Dr Who

Post by Keith Robinson »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Whilst you were all sitting in the pub after the EB Day, I was sitting at home with a strong drink in my hand, watching David Tennant doing his bit as a teacher in a school inhabited by giant bat-like aliens!!
Do you think he's better than Chris as the Doc? And hey, isn't that the episode where Sarah Jane Smith returns? With K-9? Or is that later?
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Keith Robinson wrote:Continuity, eh?
It's called Evolution, darling :lol:
Tony Summerfield

K-9

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Yes, you're quite right Keith, both Sarah Jane and K-9 reappeared, looking a bit older for one - but K-9 hadn't aged a bit!!

I think both the latest Docs are good, I must say I quite like the constantly twinkling David Tennant, but I guess for some it might be too much tongue in cheek. He played a part in the latest Harry Potter film in much the same style though a bit heavier I guess.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

George@Kirrin wrote:It's called Evolution, darling :lol:
No, it's called "getting it wrong" - chronologically it seems they were able to roll about on dirt, and then they were restricted to metal floors, and then (later on) they could roll about on dirt again.

Enid Blyton never had continuity problems like that... did she?
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Re: K-9

Post by Keith Robinson »

Tony Summerfield wrote:He played a part in the latest Harry Potter film in much the same style though a bit heavier I guess.
As long as he doesn't start singing like he did in Viva Blackpool!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

For our friends who are not fortunate enough to receive the outpourings of the Beeb, Doctor Who-Series2(Vols 1&2) is available to purchase on DVD at:

http://www.moviemail-online.co.uk

ImageThe man they call Keith is correct; Daleks are not in our league. Death to Earth!