Dr Who

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
KEVP

Re: Dr Who

Post by KEVP »

Hmm. I think the only other times the 2nd Doctor visited the 21st century was in "The Moonbase" and in "The Seeds of Death". Which also took place on the Moonbase.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Today is the 40th anniversary of my very first memory of Doctor Who. A pretty woman, trapped under a pile of rocks, clutching a stone hand. The first episode of The Hand of Fear, broadcast on 2nd October 1976.

I was three and a half!
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

That's the one where the Tardis materializes in somewhere that, just like all of the planets in Doctor Who, looks like a quarry. Only to discover they are actually in a quarry!

Also with that line "It looks 'armless!" which they recycled in the first Chris Eccleston episode.
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

I have been a big fan of Doctor Who, for a long time, but I haven't enjoyed recent Doctor Who, I do like Peter Capaldi, but a lot of his stories are complicated and difficult to follow, a lot of Matt Smith's stories, were the same, I never had this problem, with classic Doctor Who.

Tom Baker, is my favourite Doctor, and Jon Pertwee, is my second favourite Doctor.

This week, I have been enjoying watching the following DVD - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Pow ... B01LOC83Y2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; watched the final two episodes, this afternoon.
Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Thirty years ago today, we lost Patrick Troughton. Three days after his 67th birthday.

R.I.P.
Moonraker

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Moonraker »

It was good to see our friend Gary Russell giving Stephen Moffat the 2023 Terrance Dicks Award for writers. Some of my favourite stories of his were The Empty Child, The Girl In The Fireplace, Blink, Silence In The Library, The Time Of The Angels and Asylum Of The Daleks.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's good to see! Yes, the episodes you've picked out were brilliant, Nigel.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

I am looking forward to seeing the brilliant Russel T Davies running the show again.

Can't wait for his stories featuring David Tennant, Catherine Tate and (briefly) Bernard Cribbins to screen.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

A little while back, I treated myself to the DVDs of the very first Dr Who episodes.

After watching the episodes, I've now started on the 'extras'. So far I've watched 2 of the comedy sketches, and at the end of the second one there was the cast list in order of appearance.

The second name to appear was Gary Russell. I ran it back and yes, there indeed was our very own Gary, although I'm afraid I hadn't spotted it was him when I first watched it.

I then finished watching the list of names and 'Julie Davis' appeared. I'm just wondering if it is the same actress who played the part of Jo in the 1970s Famous Five series?
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Katharine, a quick check on IMDB lists the Julie Davis who played 'Jo' as only having played that part and she doesn't appear to have played in anything else. There are several other Julie Davis's listed.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

GloomyGraham wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 21:57 I am looking forward to seeing the brilliant Russel T Davies running the show again.

Can't wait for his stories featuring David Tennant, Catherine Tate and (briefly) Bernard Cribbins to screen.

I watched the three "specials" that were broadcast in November - December. I quite liked the first one but things went downhill after that. The second was poorly-paced and the third was a mess.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Katharine wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 22:09 A little while back, I treated myself to the DVDs of the very first Dr Who episodes.
I don't know if you have access to ITVX Katharine?
I have been enjoying the John Pertwee and Tom Baker episodes from the early 1970's onwards.

I'm afraid like Betty Maxey and Eileen Soper I like these two Doctors equally.
Is there a pattern here? Mmm, well on reflection I like Sean Connery and Roger Moore equally as James Bond too... :D

Anita, I haven't watched any modern Doctor Who episodes at all.
I think the last incarnation I watched was that blond guy that was in all creatures great and small!

Just starting a re-watch of the Three Doctors episodes from series 10 - fantastic!!

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker for me too. Tom Baker as a slight preference as his episodes coincided with my own heyday of watching the show.

And yes, Sean Connery and Roger Moore were my two favourite Bonds as well. Definitely Connery first but I always think Moore's stint is very underrated.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Boatbuilder wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 23:17 Katharine, a quick check on IMDB lists the Julie Davis who played 'Jo' as only having played that part and she doesn't appear to have played in anything else. There are several other Julie Davis's listed.
Thanks, I did check that out, but wasn't sure if IMDB is 100% accurate, although I know they are pretty good.

If I spotted the correct person on the DVD, she could possibly have been 'Jo', but it was hard to tell as she wasn't on screen for long, and she's now an adult.

Maybe Gary will spot this at some point and be able to let me know? :)
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

pete9012S wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 10:50I have been enjoying the John Pertwee and Tom Baker episodes from the early 1970's onwards.

I'm afraid like Betty Maxey and Eileen Soper I like these two Doctors equally.
Is there a pattern here? Mmm, well on reflection I like Sean Connery and Roger Moore equally as James Bond too... :D
:lol: Tom Baker was my first Doctor Who and I watched the programme regularly until he left, when I was ten. After that, I only saw it every so often.

My interest was rekindled years later when my children watched Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith as Doctor Who. There were some great stories in that era, particularly 'The Empty Child' and 'Blink'.

pete9012S wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 10:50Anita, I haven't watched any modern Doctor Who episodes at all.
I think the last incarnation I watched was that blond guy that was in all creatures great and small!
That was Peter Davison!

Society Member