What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Darrell71 »

OMG I can't believe no one is talking about the Manchester attacks, it is so so sad and atrocious! I know such attacks happen all the time, some place or another, but this was so deliberately targeted at people with most of their lives still in front of them, it's sickening ugh. :shock: :cry:
You can call me Sunskriti!
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Yes, but what exactly can one say?
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Appalling events. I am really sickened by this. The frequency of these murderous assaults is very worrying. :cry: :cry:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

It's kind of hard to talk about something when it's emotional impact leaves you feeling numb and shaken to the core that someone out there can consider targeting children deliberately to kill and maim. It really is and you've hardly had a moment today when you didn't start crying.
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Jack400 wrote:Yes, but what exactly can one say?
Can't argue with that, but there's always someone posting about this kinda thing.
Lucky Star wrote:The frequency of these murderous assaults is very worrying. :cry: :cry:
Couldn't agree more. Exactly what I always think, them terrorists must be laughing their heads off that the whole world is shaken, again, and again, and again, and again... :cry: and nothing changes.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Darrell71 wrote: Couldn't agree more. Exactly what I always think, them terrorists must be laughing their heads off that the whole world is shaken, again, and again, and again, and again... :cry: and nothing changes.
To be honest, there's very little that can be done.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

As the perpetrators generally turn out to have been "already known to the authorities", it's possible that increased surveillance might help.

However, I don't want to get into an argument about that sort of thing. My thoughts are with the poor people who were caught up in the blast, and their loved ones.

One thing we can all do is try to be like the people of Manchester - the kind, generous people who have gone out of their way to offer help and comfort. We've heard on the news about the feeling of solidarity and about what people have done to help, e.g. taxi drivers giving free rides to people who were in shock after coming out of the concert venue, children who had been separated from their parents being looked after by strangers, and people joining searches for those who were missing. As someone said on the news, actions like that remind us how much good there is in the world and diminish the power that the terrorists think they have.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

And not too many people know that Iraq bombing one day before Manchester bombing. More than 50 Iraq civilians had died. My thought to all the victims and their families around the world. I have been praying constantly that the perpetrators behind all this will face the severe justice in this world and before God eventually. I condemn their crimes.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: One thing we can all do is try to be like the people of Manchester - the kind, generous people who have gone out of their way to offer help and comfort. We've heard on the news about the feeling of solidarity and about what people have done to help, e.g. taxi drivers giving free rides to people who were in shock after coming out of the concert venue, children who had been separated from their parents being looked after by strangers, and people joining searches for those who were missing. As someone said on the news, actions like that remind us how much good there is in the world and diminish the power that the terrorists think they have.
Anita, that sounds like the kind of wise advice Enid herself would give her readers if she were writing in today's world. :wink: Bless you.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I agree with Sixret - it seems to me hypocritical to make such a to-do about one bombing event (Manchester) and not covering another one with even more victims. Any terror act is one too many, no matter how much victims there are, and they deserve all to be covered equally. Unfortunately I'm afraid that as long as people don't respect other people's beliefs and don't granting them the same rights they want to have granted themselves, there'll always be the danger that some will take refuge to terrorism.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I think all countries probably give a lot more coverage of attacks that happen at home. If a bombing happens abroad we may hear on the UK news about the location, the number of fatalities and perhaps the number of injured. If it happens in Britain we're told the victims' names and ages and hear statements from their families and friends. Sometimes we even learn a little about the victims' jobs, schools, interests, etc. I agree that it's terrible that these things happen anywhere in the world, Wolfgang, but I'm not surprised that we get to know more about the lives of the affected people if the attack takes place in our own country.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

How much saner is the world created by Enid Blyton. I am sure that our earlier years have a big say in how we turn out as adults.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I think all countries probably give a lot more coverage of attacks that happen at home. If a bombing happens abroad we may hear on the UK news about the location, the number of fatalities and perhaps the number of injured. If it happens in Britain we're told the victims' names and ages and hear statements from their families and friends. Sometimes we even learn a little about the victims' jobs, schools, interests, etc. I agree that it's terrible that these things happen anywhere in the world, Wolfgang, but I'm not surprised that we get to know more about the lives of the affected people if the attack takes place in our own country.
You have expressed exactly what I was thinking in response to Wolfgang's observations, Anita. It is only natural that we hear more about such events in our own country (although I do feel we get an overdose from the news channels at such times!) I did hear about the Iraq bombing too, but it is entirely natural to feel something like that more keenly when it happens on one's doorstep, so to speak. It is a very sad world at present but often events like this bring out the best in people too. There have been heart-warming reports of the help offered by many, and the reaction of the wider community has been uplifting and positive.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I think all countries probably give a lot more coverage of attacks that happen at home. If a bombing happens abroad we may hear on the UK news about the location, the number of fatalities and perhaps the number of injured. If it happens in Britain we're told the victims' names and ages and hear statements from their families and friends. Sometimes we even learn a little about the victims' jobs, schools, interests, etc. I agree that it's terrible that these things happen anywhere in the world, Wolfgang, but I'm not surprised that we get to know more about the lives of the affected people if the attack takes place in our own country.
I can only speak of my experience, but the media here gives a lot of covering to local bombing and terror acts, within the EU and in the US. Sadly other countries are mostly only worth a paragraph - if at all. In principle that makes them 2nd class victims, because distance isn't the issue here. I think it's that coverage that makes them do these things here - why else claim the IS to be responsible for many of these acts although it's later proved that they didn't give order for that.
A less sensational coverage would remove the publicity platform they crave for, wouldn't stir up that many resentiments (what they want to achieve) and would give the authorities time and peace to sort things out without the pressure of having to give statements all the time. I'm not saying media shouldn't cover things, but it should be done in a more sensitive and rational way, not playing with our emotions. Unfortunately it's exactly what they want to.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:One thing we can all do is try to be like the people of Manchester - the kind, generous people who have gone out of their way to offer help and comfort. We've heard on the news about the feeling of solidarity and about what people have done to help, e.g. taxi drivers giving free rides to people who were in shock after coming out of the concert venue, children who had been separated from their parents being looked after by strangers, and people joining searches for those who were missing. As someone said on the news, actions like that remind us how much good there is in the world and diminish the power that the terrorists think they have.
I couldn't agree more, Anita, it has been most heartening to see the strength and solidarity of the people of Manchester holding together. We feel great admiration for everyone going about their business and carrying on normally. Everyone we've spoken to at Chelsea, though subdued, agree wholeheartedly we can't give up on doing the things we love and enjoy, crouching in corners would mean those who wish us ill would have won.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.