What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Eddie Muir »

number 6 wrote:Happy Anniversary to you both, Eddie! Have a great day. :D
Many thanks, Number 6. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Happy Anniversary to you and Chick, Eddie!

When I was at junior school, a boy arrived an hour late one Monday morning because his family had forgotten to put the clocks forward over the weekend. They must have gone through the whole of Sunday without realising! That's less likely to happen these days as so many computers and other devices update automatically, serving as a reminder.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
When I was at junior school, a boy arrived an hour late one Monday morning because his family had forgotten to put the clocks forward over the weekend. They must have gone through the whole of Sunday without realising!
:lol:

Yes - I'm sure a similar thing happened to someone when I was at school! It was always something I dreaded as a child, so it had obviously happened to someone I knew, or else I wouldn't have thought about it! :lol:

I must admit, though I think I'm in a minority, I quite like the clocks going forward and back. Especially when they go forward, and we realise spring is here, with lighter evenings and longer days. It marks Summer for me, and I think I'd miss it if we didn't alter the clocks.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I don't understand, why do we need to "to put the clock forward"? Here, we never do that such thing!
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

Happy Anniversary, Eddie and Chick! :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

I found this article. I was so curious so I searched for it on Google. For those who doesn't know.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1998581/c ... our-sleep/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I hate the clocks changing and can't see any need for it. I shall spend the rest of the day feeling a bit groggy because I'm missing an hour's sleep. It's no good me trying to compensate by going to bed an hour earlier last night, my body doesn't work like that - I shall have to catch up tonight when I'm shattered. My poor daughter had an early shift this morning so she'll also be exhausted by the end of the day due to an hour less in bed. For the next few days I shall probably have a last minute panic for the school run and putting the evening meal on, as I'll forget that I can't rely on the position on the sun to tell me the time. It was also hard when the children were little, trying to explain that they weren't being made to go to bed early when the sun was still shining! :roll:

In the winter I don't mind the extra hour in bed, although when I had young children it didn't make much difference - their tummies woke them up at the usual time for their breakfast and didn't care that the clock said it wasn't time to get up yet. However I find it very depressing losing the hour in one go in the Autumn. It's bad enough having less and less day light in the evenings, but I can cope with it because it's a gradual change. I'd say that I'm borderline depressed for a few days as my body adjusts.

In today's 24/7 life, I really can't understand why we continue to do it - normally I'm all for keeping up traditions, but this is one I could live without.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

Maybe the British will have a referendum about it - whether or nor not to keep the daylight savings ;-).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

sixret wrote:I don't understand, why do we need to "to put the clock forward"? Here, we never do that such thing!
The intital idea in the early 80s was to save energy. Depending on where you live, the distance to the equator is the factor, you'll have long daylight periods of time during summer. Some economists thought that it would be better if the sun rises at 5.00am and sets at 9.00pm instead of rising at 4am and setting at 8.00pm.

After more than thirty years field test the economists learned that the saving efect is neglectable. As far as I know there is a committee of the EU that decides about it, but it postponed the decision for years...
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:When I was at junior school, a boy arrived an hour late one Monday morning because his family had forgotten to put the clocks forward over the weekend. They must have gone through the whole of Sunday without realising! That's less likely to happen these days as so many computers and other devices update automatically, serving as a reminder.
:lol: I did something similar to that. The teacher had been called away and shortly after I half noticed the rest of the class tidy up and leave. I didn't really think about it, assuming they were taking advantage of the fact there was no teacher to stop them slipping off early and carried on with my class work. An hour later the teacher came back, most surprised to see me and asked me why I was still there. Puzzled, I looked at my watch and said it wasn't home time yet, to which she replied as it was 4.20 it was long past home time! I'd forgotten to put my watch forward that morning and as all the school clocks were right I hadn't noticed until the last lesson, which happened to be in a class with no clock so I'd gone off my hour out watch :oops: .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Wolfgang wrote:The intital idea in the early 80s was to save energy.
I don't know exactly when people started changing the clocks but it was much earlier than the 1980s! Or it was in Britain, anyway!

Edit: I just looked at the link Sixret provided. We started changing the clocks in 1916.

Society Member
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

In Germany there was a restart of it in the early 80s or even 1980. I know that during WW2 there were also daytime savings, up to two hours even.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Oh, I see. It's different in Britain. I'm not sure whether we ever stopped the practice altogether but we have experimented with it from time to time. According to this article in The Telegraph: "There have been various trials over the decades from double summer time (GMT + 2 hours) during the Second World War to permanent British Summer Time (GMT + 1 hour) during the late 1960s but the current system of changing the clocks at the end of March and October has been in place since 1972."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/0 ... ve-daylig/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:Yes - I've heard that, which is why many book sellers even advertise 'from a smoke-free and pet-free home' - because sufferers can even get a reaction from a book that has been near to a pet or even in the same house. 8)
André is allergic to cat hair, I'm actually allergic to both, cat hair and dog hair, but fortunately my allergy is much less now than it used to be in the early 1990's when a dermatologist tested me.
We make it a rule not to let Cody into our bedroom (the door is always closed) and usually are only downstairs with him.

I order used books online, but only noticed 'smoke-free homes' so far.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I don't mind the clocks going forward an hour as we get the lighter nights now. Which is great in the summer as the days seem longer.

I hate the clocks going back into winter, as the nights then begin to draw in too quickly, and it's dark by 5.30pm!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member