What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Best of luck with your studies, Poppy and Sunskriti!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Best of luck with your studies, Poppy and Sunskriti!
From me as well! :D
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Its a long time ago, but I do remember we did Hamlet, and later we did King Lear. I had never studied Shakespeare before that (our school didn't do it at GCSE level or 'O' Level) so it was all new to me, and I really enjoyed it. It really brought home to me how powerful his writing is.

We also did the war poets - which I believe is often studied in GCSE these days. Other books I remember studying were the Grapes of Wrath, the Great Gatsby, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Rainbow by DH Lawrence, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - though I'm sure there were more! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Thank you Anita and Chrissie :D

Ah, how was Hamlet then? We haven't started that one yet and I'm not usually keen on Shakespeare so I'm not really looking forward to it either! :lol: And yeah, at GCSE English Literature there were was a section on War Poetry but my school did the Love and Relationships ones instead.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm quite a fan of Shakespeare, so I enjoyed Hamlet a lot. I think when it comes to Shakespeare, it all depends on the tutor, in my experience. We had a really inspirational tutor who had a natural love for Shakespeare and she inspired us a lot. let us know what you think when you begin studying it! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Yeah, I think you're right actually. I am really lucky; I've got an excellent English teacher, she is just so enthusiastic about the texts, so I'm sure she'll make Hamlet interesting! It's just all the weird terms and phrases that Shakespeare uses - it's like a completely different language at times! We studied Macbeth for GCSE and I'm told that this is one of the easier Shakespeare texts to understand, yet I found that difficult enough to comprehend at times! But yes, I'll definitely let you know what I think of Hamlet when we begin studying it. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Hamlet is quite 'deep' of course - but because of that its interesting, with loads of stuff to discuss - like why the ghost appears ( in Shakespeare's day ghosts were a symbol of troubles ahead etc) and exploring Hamlet's strange almost incestuous relationship with his mother etc! Then there are all the murders, madness, poison, etc, lol! It's not known as a 'tragedy' for no reason! ;-)

There are some really lovely bits of blank verse in the script and of course, some of Shakespeare's most famous quotes, such as 'to be or not to be' - a piece that I once pretty much knew by heart! :D

I recommend looking at the old black and white film of Hamlet with Laurence Olivier as Hamlet - I can remember we watched it in a lesson - and suddenly Shakespeare's words took on new meaning and power - Olivier really makes the words make sense!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote: I recommend looking at the old black and white film of Hamlet with Laurence Olivier as Hamlet - I can remember we watched it in a lesson - and suddenly Shakespeare's words took on new meaning and power - Olivier really makes the words make sense!
I recall my mum saying she and a school friend saw it at the cinema (I'm not sure if they were actually studying the play), but they were mainly impressed with Laurence Olivier's tights! :wink: I didn't do Hamlet at school, but would have liked to.

All the best with your studies, Poppy and Sunskriti!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

All the best with your studies, Poppy and Sunskriti! :D
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Thank you sixret, Courtenay, Chrissie and Anita! :D
I've only ever read Julius Ceasar by Shakespeare, as we had a part of it for English last year. I absolutely loved it, but Shakespeare is rather hard to comprehend at times, so I've not started anything new. I might try Macbeth soon though. :D The man was a genius.
Poppy wrote: Anyway, my friend tells me that Language is largely focussed on different types of words (eg. nouns/adverbs/prepositions) which I didn't expect; Language at GCSE is mainly centred around creative writing, but I don't know, maybe that comes later in the course. I'm absolutely loving Psychology. We're doing all about Research Methods at the moment, which is apparently the most boring part of the course, but I'm quite enjoying it to be honest. It's a lot to remember, but I've got my revision resources well and truly sorted! It's Mind maps galore in my house right now! :lol: Anyway, good luck for it all! :D
I saw the paper pattern for English Language and it seemed more about creative writing, but either way I would love it. I would've liked to do Literature too but unfortunately it's hard to get good teachers for that kind of thing in India so I don't want to risk it. Language on the other hand I can do by myself and my dad helps me out.
I've never done Psychology before, but I've read a lot of Behavioral Economics books and I really love it, so I'm definitely excited for that one. :D
Good luck for everything that you're doing, Poppy!
You can call me Sunskriti!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

As I am related to Shakespeare, I really ought to like his work. I did try - reading A Midsummer Night's Dream and watching a couple of old films. I have even seen a play or two. Trouble is, I don't. :|
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Me neither. :oops:
I didn't care for the movie "Hamlet" with Sir Laurence Olivier and was so bored by "Much Ado about Nothing" at the movie theater that I fell asleep.
The best thing about "Midsummer Night's Dream" in my opinion is the music by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Chrissie777 wrote: and was so bored by "Much Ado about Nothing"...
Maybe the title says it all? :wink:

I loved Macbeth when we did it at school, but was somehow unimpressed with Twelfth Night at university. However, a few years ago back in Melbourne, I went to a local school's performance of "A Midsummer Night's Dream Bollywood Style"... IT WAS HILARIOUS. Seriously — the already-pretty-bonkers plot somehow made more sense with a genuine Bollywood dance in every scene. I wasn't the only one in the audience who was just about screaming with laughter much of the way through! :lol: :mrgreen: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

My first encounter with Shakespeare was at the age of twelve when I was at grammar school. From then on I studied a different play each year right up to my GCE O Level and A level exams. Later, as an English student at the University of Sussex, I read most of the plays. Studying Shakespeare really requires a considerable amount of effort, but the effort is well worth it in my opinion for what you gain from close study is extremely rewarding. :D

For those interested, I studied the following plays:

GCE O Level: Julius Caesar

GCE A Level: King Lear and Measure for Measure

BA Hons Degree: Most of the plays and sonnets, but my finals Shakespeare paper was The Characterisation of Hal: A Discussion with reference to Henry IV, Parts I and II and Henry V. (5000 words).
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Eddie Muir wrote:My first encounter with Shakespeare was at the age of twelve when I was at grammar school. From then on I studied a different play each year right up to my GCE O Level and A level exams. Later, as an English student at the University of Sussex, I read most of the plays. Studying Shakespeare really requires a considerable amount of effort, but the effort is well worth it in my opinion for what you gain from close study is extremely rewarding. :D
I couldn't agree more, Eddie! I think before watching plays and films, you really need to study the texts and at least get a vague comprehension of what they are about. Hamlet was the first ever Shakespeare play I studied, at A Level, and it really did blow me away.

I find it hard to put into words, but each time I've studied Shakespeare - at A Level twice, then in an Access Course (when we did Othello) I have started out feeling apathetic, and within a few minutes, Shakespeare's magic floods over me and you realise just how clever and how deep and above all how relevant to life and how human, his writing is. 8)

I think too many people try to figure out every word and every meaning - like its some sacred text that we should be able to understand, but feel bad if we can't. We tend to forget that Shakespeare wrote the 'TV soaps' of the day, and it was mass entertainment - not highbrow - it was entertainment for the common man in the street, filled with action and murder etc. It dealt with themes that everyone understood, and wasn't intellectual at all. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member