English Grammar, Spelling and Vocabulary

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: English Grammar, Spelling and Vocabulary

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've only ever heard back, not bat in that phrase. And I've heard dishwater far more often than ditchwater.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Eddie Muir wrote:The presenter probably said with a capital 'ch' to indicate how good the tune was in his opinion. Capital letters tend to be used as emphasis.
I used the capital letters to indicate the name of the two letters... did he say 'ch' or 'C (cee) H (aitch)' ?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think the 'dish-water' and 'off his own back' are just examples of people miss-hearing, and also not understanding the meaning, as it might be outside their personal experience, so they transfer the saying into something they understand better.

I've heard people say 'dull as dish-water' but I know its not right, and I would always say 'as dull as ditch-water'. The same goes for 'off his own back' - doesn't actually make sense to me, while 'off his own bat' is the phrase I always use.

Many sayings like this have been corrupted over the years - especially around Birmingham, I think. One that has become part of every-day usage is 'donkey's years' which actually should be 'donkey's ears', I believe, because donkey's ears are long.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Daisy, he said 'ch', so I suppose that must mean it was meant tongue in cheek, although as 'ch' is a di-graph, I suppose some people might think it could be classified as a letter.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I've only ever heard "dull as ditchwater" but I can see how "dull as dishwater" might creep in.

I've heard a couple of people say someone did something "off his own back" instead of "off his own bat" so that's another phrase that may well evolve.
I've only heard 'ditchwater' as well.

Two that I see increasingly online are 'on tenderhooks' and 'a damp squid'.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

IceMaiden wrote: Two that I see increasingly online are 'on tenderhooks' and 'a damp squid'.
I chuckle at the "damp squid" ...considering their environment I should think they are all pretty damp!
"Tenderhooks" for "tenterhooks" is an understandable mistake I guess. People who don't read a lot must hear (or mis-hear) many words they never see written down.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

I have seen the word "choon" used online to mean "tune".

I am pretty sure it is a tongue-in-cheek slang expression, people intentionally misspelling the word for fun.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

The OED gives the following definition of choon:

Origin 1990s: informal respelling of tune.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

IceMaiden wrote:Two that I see increasingly online are 'on tenderhooks' and 'a damp squid'.
I used to think it was "on tenderhooks" when I was a child - and then I saw how it was written!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've had to look up 'off his own bat' as like I said, I don't think I've ever heard anyone actually say that.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/off-his-own-bat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One question that often gets asked on this website about the figurative expression 'off his own bat' is "should that be 'off his own back'"? Well no, it shouldn't. 'Off your own back' originated as a mishearing of the former expression. It has gained sufficient currency to be considered as a viable everyday alternative of the correct version, but purists dismiss it as a straightforward error...

The bat in question is a cricket bat and the first activity that was said to be done 'off someone's own bat' was to score runs.

The first citation of 'off his own bat' in print comes from the pen of the celebrated cricket historian and statistician Henry Thomas Waghorn, in Cricket Scores, 1742:

"The bets on the Slendon man's head that he got 40 notches off his own bat were lost."
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've always heard it as "off one's own bat" and figured it originally referred to cricket. Must admit I always assumed the "dull as..." was "dishwater" — well, the water you wash the dishes in is pretty dull by the time you've finished! — but "ditchwater" does make more sense, so I will make sure to say it correctly in future. 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

When I was a child I heard people talking about "razing a building to the ground", I always thought they were saying "raising". Like it was some idiom, they were raising it to the ground, so not raising it at all.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Please help.

Taken from GAD group:

Now I have finished the translation of Leo Bruce's "Case for Sergeant Beef." Checking my translation, I have some questions, and I hope someone in this group might help me.

1) In chapter 1, Townsend call on Sgt. Beef, and Beef tells him "Hullo. I was wondering when you'd turn up. Come along in. And a happy New Year!" Actually, it was New Year's Eve that they visited Barnford to investigate their case. Do you usually say "A happy New Year!" before New Year's day?

2) In chapter 21, Mrs. Pluck replies Beef's question, "Well, if you want to know he's been funny, Very funny." To this, Townsend wrote, "This common, but curious, misuse of the language did not perturb Beef," I cannot understand what is the misuse of the language.

3) In chapter 24, I came across the following expression: "Mrs. Pluck was in the bottle and jug and wanted to see Beef most particular." What does "in the bottle and jug" mean?
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

London.

The book was first published in 1947.

To put the questions into perspective.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

1) I've never heard anyone wish a happy new year before the day, but then I'd never heard of the word 'chunes' until this week either. :D

2) I'd need to know more about the context of the word funny. Funny can mean amusing, as in telling jokes or playing tricks. It can also mean feeling unwell, as in someone had a funny turn, or a funny tummy. Or it could mean that someone feels that someone has been behaving unusually, perhaps being unfriendly for no obvious reason.

3) If capital letters are used for bottle and jug, it would suggest to me it is the name of a pub. I think I've heard of someone 'being in jug' when they are in jail.
Society Member