English Grammar, Spelling and Vocabulary

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: English Grammar, Spelling and Vocabulary

Post by John Pickup »

Daisy wrote::lol: I must say I immediately thought of something to eat when I first read the word!
So did I. Was it nibbits?
Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

Sometimes it feels so nice, to know that I might be insignificant but the thread I started long ago is still going on :D
And I just wanted real help from you guys, my school is forcing us to pay for , applying through school to universities, and currently we are on loan and we cant pay to school, i've asked them for a waiver and they haven't responded yet and the worst part is they are not even willing to send transcripts and recommendations to universities if I amnot paying them the fee for registering from school to apply.
I've asked a couple of people but except one, no one has responded in helping me improve my college essay, I asked my English teacher but she said she was busy.and my counsellor who said until u don't pay as in register I cant help you.
So i need you guys, in helping me improve this essay I have written and comment also on my story.

These lyrics,
“I'm gonna live my life like I'm gonna die young
Like it's never enough, like I'm born to run
I'm gonna spend my time like tomorrow won't come
Do whatever I want like I'm born to run ”from the song ‘ I’m Born To Run’ by American Authors, are the mantra of my life both metaphorically and literally.
As a child, I suffered from emotional abuse, tough parenting, and bullying which resulted in depression and low self-esteem. In the main while, I was being brought up in system where a child was defined by grades.
My mind collapsed as the result for the IGCSE’s came. I would sit in dark for hours or go to the rooftop. That year I decided on giving two retakes, taking a gap year while the result wasn’t even bad, but it was my expectations that crumbled me.
Going through this hard period with past pain encroaching me.I was dying inside, feeling like a complete failure.
The lucky part was, we had shifted to a stunning area which was filled with greenery and a park. It was huge and beautifully made. The park was 10 mins walk from my home.
I went there one day with my little sister who was two, usually under my care. The park had a running track of about 1.85 kms. I took her to the swings, and from the swings I saw men running on the track. A surge of female power ran through me and I knew I should run. Running changed my life physically, mentally and emotionally. I was the only girl who ran and that felt amazing, all other women and girls only walked.
As I began, to go out from home on my own, I got weird looks from my mum as if my idea was completely absurd .On the way to the park, I faced harassment, in the park it was safer, but even then there were men who would follow me or stalk me because I was a girl on her own, and that too running because fewer females had such vigorous interests. My parents couldn’t drop me, and depending on them meant missing out on most days and I had no other girl who could go with me.
I cried oceans, being afraid of something worse happening .However, I didn’t give up I gulped fear and made myself appear stronger which helped me to some extent, and the chances of people trying to make a pass decreased because I appeared fearless however it still happened but I would take a stand against that.
Running in itself for a longer distance, meant a lot of pain and challenging. My consistency and speed, took a year to increase. From stopping after every minute of running, I went to running consistently for 15 mins of 1.85 kms. The pain didn’t cease, but my endurance increased and after completing a track, I almost felt like I flew in the air, like nothing was impossible if you keep going on.
Running gave me a whole new life, other than my physical activities. When I was at home, I would try n fulfill all my passions. Just like dance and music, I would dance for hours and do it passionately which increased my interest into fitness and sports. I explored more of my passions from, space to literature. I visualized being an astronaut, finding a new discovery in science and maths. I cooked my own recipes, I started writing a novel and I started developing interest in brain mechanics of achieving success.
I was transforming as person, I felt proud of myself because I had the growth mindset. I felt more empowered and empathetic for, the unfortunate people around me .I was becoming much more kind and motivating towards other people.

Regards
Zainab
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Hello Zainab, it's nice to see you here again. I'm not sure what you are asking - if you want someone to correct your essay, is it quite fair to submit it as your own work? If your admission to University depends on it, that doesn't seem quite right.
I wonder if this story is an invention of yours or you are actually talking about your own experience of life, or perhaps a mixture. I would like to know more.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

I think the content of your essay, the story, is excellent. There are some minor grammar, spelling and vocabulary mistakes however that make it look like you are not a native speaker of English.
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

No this is my real story Daisy,
The essay the plot and the writing is my own, i just want people to edit or improve the errors in it ,thats allowed and that's what counsellors do.
Thankyou KEVP, could u help me improve it like where i need to correct it?
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Right Zainab. I have emailed you on here with a revised version, taking out commas where they are not needed and making a few small alterations. For example in an essay you should use "and" - not just "n" even if that is how you say it!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I too thought the content was very good - a lively and very readable account. Yes, there were some grammatical errors - which can easily be put right - as I am sure you will see from Daisy's revisions. Really good piece, though - I enjoyed it and thank you for sharing it. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

Thank you so much , these positive comments are really making my day and giving me hope,because I am completely isolated by my school, I asked them to waive off my fee but they aren't responding. And the universities ,need my school to send them recommendations and transcripts.And my counsellor isn't even helping me improve the essay until the fee waiver issue is sorted, I was doing everything on my own.

And there was much more to the story, but I couldn't write more than 650 words.This time taught me how vulnerable sometimes a girl could be, and i felt for other women. I felt for other kids who have the potential to grow yet are put down and degraded for their grades.I learnt how important your childhood is in making you who you are, emotional abuse is too bad for a child. I often felt I was a complete looser and no one deserves to have a child like me,but then I learnt that struggle and failure are the most important parts in making you a better person and more successful person.

Thank you Daisy, your support will forever be remembered! :D
Thankyou Rob and Kevp once again, your words have truly made my day and motivated me. :D
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

That's a very evocative and moving account, Zainab — thanks for sharing. As others have said, with just the few slight corrections from Daisy it should be fine. Wishing you all the best with your university application. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Is it just me or is the phrase "who knew" now applied to every possible situation and circumstance :?

I enjoyed reading your essay Zainab, good luck with your university application, and I wish you every success in your academic career.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

floragord wrote:Is it just me or is the phrase "who knew" now applied to every possible situation and circumstance :?
That's interesting! Its something I admit I used to say a lot - about 10 years ago, but its a phrase I rarely use nowadays. Where I lead, people follow!!! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Good luck with your universityapplication, Zainab! I really hope you get the course that you like. Like others, I enjoyed reading your writing. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Rob Houghton wrote:Where I lead, people follow!!! :lol:
That sounds just like a Nigelism! :D :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

Thank you so much Courtney,Sixret and floragod!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Every single word is like gold for me,its the only thing that makes me happy in tough time!
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I have just read your superb essay, Zainab. Good luck with your university applications. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member