English Grammar, Spelling and Vocabulary

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Domino

Re: English Grammar, Spelling and Vocabulary

Post by Domino »

Another company that had two pronunciations was the Austrian company, Eumig, that mainly made cine cameras and projectors. In England it was pronounced 'Yu-mig' but in Austria and most of Europe it was pronounced 'Oi-mig'.
My first cine camera was an 8mm. (that's standard eight) Eumig C3M with a three turret lens. I later owned a Eumig projector, with automatic threading (though it was usually safer to lace the film manually!)

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Or there's the Korean car company, Hyundai. In Australia we pronounce it Hyun-day (rhymes with Sunday — their motto in Australian adverts used to be "All Dai, Every Dai, Hyundai"), but over here they seem to pronounce it more like High-yoon-die.

Ah, here we go — looks like we Aussies have it right. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Onlne dictionary. Is the sentence grammatically correct?

sub·lim·i·nal
ˌsəbˈlimənl/
adjectivePSYCHOLOGY
(of a stimulus or mental process) below the threshold of sensation or consciousness; perceived by or affecting someone's mind without their being aware of it.
synonyms: subconscious, unconscious; More
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yes — "without their being aware of it" would, I think, traditionally be considered the more grammatically correct way of putting that phrase, although "without them being aware of it" would probably be more common now. Either way is acceptable, as far as I know. :)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret

Post by sixret »

Thank you, Courtenay. :D

I thought the correct one was, " they are being aware of it." :oops: :oops: :oops:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

"Without they are being aware of it" I am afraid would sound like someone talking with a rather stereotyped South Asian accent. At least in my opinion.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's not surprising for the same mistake to crop up again and again among people from a particular region, KEVP. Speakers may be basing the structure of a sentence or clause on the way it would be said in their native language, unaware that the structure is different in English. The same goes for speakers of English learning French (for example).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I guess this is a good thread to talk about SRA Reading Lab. Does anyone remember this?

I'm in a group on facebook about Old toys and memories - and someone mentioned this. The person who commented initially was American and called it 'SRA' although I'm not sure what we called it when I was at school. Maybe just 'Reading Lab' or 'Comprehension cards'.

It was a box-file of cards, with a piece of writing, an illustration, and grammar/comprehension questions to answer. The box was colour-coded, from 'easy' to 'hard' - each level had maybe 10 or 12 cards to it. Once you completed one level you could go up to the next. We worked independently and I can remember being very competitive with school friends, trying to beat them to the next level!

One level I particularly remember was the 'Aqua' level - because it was a colour I hadn't heard at the age of 7 or 8.

They came in a box a bit like this I think -

Hopefully some others around my age and older will remember these! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

This sounds like something we had in the school I went to in the USA, elementary (primary) school. For some reason we called them "Benchmarks".
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

We used those cards in the first two years of junior school (age 7-9). We called them "SRA cards". I really enjoyed them as the comprehension passages were interesting and I liked working independently and going up from colour to colour. When we'd finished a card we were allowed to take the corresponding answer card and mark our own work, which made me feel very grown up and responsible.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Gosh, I vaguely remember we had something like that for a while in Grade 1 — that was in the late 1980s and the cards looked fairly old even then (I can't remember what we called them), so they probably dated from the '70s. Inverloch Primary School at the time certainly wasn't known for keeping up with the most current teaching aids, so that would be about right... :P :wink:
Society Member

Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I really loved them, and like Anita I enjoyed being able to mark them myself. It gave children responsibility and made them feel in control, which was a very good aspect of them. I'm sure some children cheated though! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I remember this teaching aid very well. I forgot what we called it back then. But I remember we were not allowed to mark our own card. I marked one of my friend's card and other student would mark my card. We marked with red pen. I remember that I felt proud to mark someone else card!

Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

In 11th grade I switched from CBSE (the Central or National Board of Education) to SSC (the State Board of Education) because that's what was offered in my college and the English in the SSC board is TERRIBLE. Like there are mistakes in EVERY SINGLE sentence and it physically pains me HELP. :roll: :roll: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :x :x :x
You can call me Sunskriti!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Darrell71 wrote:In 11th grade I switched from CBSE (the Central or National Board of Education) to SSC (the State Board of Education) because that's what was offered in my college and the English in the SSC board is TERRIBLE.

Like there are mistakes in EVERY SINGLE sentence and it physically pains me HELP. :roll: :roll: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :x :x :x
A bit like your last sentence, then! :wink:
Society Member