Online dating again

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Re: Online dating again

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:I was just about the right age to take on board the whole internet danger thing after the Holly Wells and Jessica [I feel bad cause I've forgotten her last name] but that really convinced me not to trust anyone online.
Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman were murdered by someone they knew - a caretaker of a local school, who was also the fiancé of a teaching assistant in their own school who worked with their class. I don't think internet relationships had anything to do with it. Or do you mean that hearing about cases like that made you more wary in general, especially of people met online?
I thought they'd been emailing back and forth until he convinced them to meet? At least thats what I remember. I wasn't very interested at the time.

Bit of both really. I've always been a bit careful. I always try and let someone know where I'm going. And I won't meet up with anyone I'm not thoroughly convinced about.

I did find it slightly amusing that when I met Fiona, her boyfriend rang her up and asked her if she was alright and to make sure I wasn't a man. :shock: :lol:

I can understand why he did it though!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote: I have to admit for me even friendship doesn't really start unless I've communicated with them online.
What a weird person you are. :roll:
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Pippa-Stef wrote:I thought they'd been emailing back and forth until he convinced them to meet?
Oh, you might be right, I don't remember that.
Pippa-Stef wrote:I did find it slightly amusing that when I met Fiona, her boyfriend rang her up and asked her if she was alright and to make sure I wasn't a man. :shock: :lol:
:lol: I can understand him being concerned though.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

A couple of my friends got hitched to people they met online, and they are very happy. Most people just treat it as another way of getting to know people, and of expanding your social circle. That said, I was rather surprised to learn that there are literally all kinds of "dating" sites (quotes intentional) on the internet, many of which need to be approached with a massive degree of caution, or simply stayed away from, because they don't really deal with dating in the conventional sense. Has anyone heard of chat-roulette for instance? It is apparently quite popular with American teenagers, and well, let me put it this way - if I were a parent, I would probably be having nightmares.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think I'd be rather cautious of dating on line if I were single. Even if the person sent you a photo, how could you possible know it was of them!! Once I'd joined this Society, it took me ages to plump up the courage to actually visit the forums on line!! I guess the older you are you can see more dangers that lurk within the internet, whilst young people accept it as part of their social society.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I 'evesdropped' on the forums for a while before I actually joined in. I think somewhere like this forum would be a great place to meet new people, although I don't think there have been any romantic meetings have there? The meeting at Old Thatch earlier in the year, The Enid Blyton Day or perhaps one of Viv's events at Corfe Castle would I think be a safe way to meet people in person.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:I don't think there have been any romantic meetings have there?
I have certainly formed some great friendships through the forums. The ones of you that I have met, have without exception, confirmed the greatest expectations! :D
Society Member
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

We have a couple who met on my forum even though they lived in different continents and they have been together for several years now
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Moonraker wrote:I have certainly formed some great friendships through the forums. The ones of you that I have met, have without exception, confirmed the greatest expectations! :D
This has been my experience too, Nigel. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Mine too! :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

And mine!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Moonraker wrote:I have certainly formed some great friendships through the forums. The ones of you that I have met, have without exception, confirmed the greatest expectations! :D
Ditto!!!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

I met my boyfriend on the Internet dating site Match.com. We swapped e-mails for a couple of days then met in real life and we've been together for four years.

The nice thing about these kinds of sites is you can learn in a short amount of time if you're basically compatible with someone (provided they're honest, of course) in terms of politics, religious views, whether you want kids some day, etc. Better to know immediately than after a few months.

I have two favourite stories: The first is an e-mail I got from a guy who I think meant to call me sweetie but spelled it sweaty. I can post it if you want to see an alarming number of typos crammed into such a brief message.

The second is that, on Match.com, you can see who's viewed your profile and send them messages. I went out on a date with a guy, we had a nice time, and I called a friend after to tell her about it. She also used Match.com -- in fact she was the one who persuaded me to try it -- and she looked up my date's profile. The next night, she called me to say he had messaged her and started to chat her up. She read his message and I started laughing because it was word for word the one he wrote me. My friend and I were puzzled though as to why he would contact her in the first place considering she lived about 100 miles away, but it turned out he was moving to her state in a few days, he just hadn't gotten round to mentioning that to me, or anywhere on his profile. In retrospect, I think I was supposed to be a last hurrah in his hometown. Champion. :roll:
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

Ha! Yeah, there's always one. Or more than one :).

I'd be amused to see the 'sweaty' email if you want to post it. My normal MO was to respond to anyone who messaged me and be polite even if I wasn't interested (just tell them that I did not think we'd be compatible etc) but now and then I'd get messages that were so poorly constructed and/or so obviously generic and being sent to dozens of women that I'd not bother. If someone showed they'd read my profile and were responding to it then I'd reply but not otherwise.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

Here it is: "I'm *name redacted* just wanted to know what you thought of me sweaty, good looken, ugle, wiered, or just a pyscho?lol."

I can't remember if I replied. I think I did, because I seem to recall him calling me "sweaty" twice.
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"