London Riots 2011

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Re: London Riots 2011

Post by Icecream342 »

Daisy wrote:
Icecream342 wrote:
I am scared of lots of things; Bats, spiders, lots of other things
Why? Have they ever attacked you? Maybe you don't like them, but they wouldn't harm you, so you have no need to be afraid of them.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: I was im bed and there was a GIANT spider on the floor. It went under my table. out again, Over all my wires, under my desk and then on my wall. I was really scared.

Also There was a bat in my dining room and it flew towards me and my mum(we were in there on our laptops) and I fell aslep on the sofa in my lounge. I didn't propoly go to bed until 1:00am!
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
tkurbjuhn

Post by tkurbjuhn »

Politically correct people have two problems now: they cannot admit that most of the rioters are black people.
And they cannot admit that the mixture of races creates civil wars like a few years ago in Paris and now in London.
Enid Blyton and the people of her time knew this, I believe her books are loved because she shows a secure society with little disturbing elements easily handled by Fatty and co. And an important part of a secure society is the dominance in numbers by one race, regardless what race. If people look around they must see similar persons or they get stress, see the studies of Robert Putnam.
The reason for brainwashing the european societies to pc-people of course are the extreme capitalists, as this sort of capitalism only works without borders and without people with national feelings. These capitalists promised a paradise on earth, but now we see the reality.
The future will bring a religious society, religion helps integrate people of different races a bit. It will become a world a bit like in the Blyton books regarding the feeling of security, but of course without freedom of speech and without so much freedom for women.
Icecream342

Post by Icecream342 »

tkurbjuhn wrote:Politically correct people have two problems now: they cannot admit that most of the rioters are black people.
And they cannot admit that the mixture of races creates civil wars like a few years ago in Paris and now in London.
Enid Blyton and the people of her time knew this, I believe her books are loved because she shows a secure society with little disturbing elements easily handled by Fatty and co. And an important part of a secure society is the dominance in numbers by one race, regardless what race. If people look around they must see similar persons or they get stress, see the studies of Robert Putnam.
The reason for brainwashing the european societies to pc-people of course are the extreme capitalists, as this sort of capitalism only works without borders and without people with national feelings. These capitalists promised a paradise on earth, but now we see the reality.
The future will bring a religious society, religion helps integrate people of different races a bit. It will become a world a bit like in the Blyton books regarding the feeling of security, but of course without freedom of speech and without so much freedom for women.

True, very true

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

tkurbjuhn wrote:Politically correct people have two problems now: they cannot admit that most of the rioters are black people.
I find your views utterly abhorrent. You sound almost like Hitler with your ideas of one race dominating others. And I fervently hope there never will be a world without freedom of speech or one where women have less freedom than men.

Icecream I'm really hoping you either did not actually read the post, or that you didn't understand it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Icecream342

Post by Icecream342 »

Fiona1986 wrote:
I find your views utterly abhorrent. You sound almost like Hitler with your ideas of one race dominating others. And I fervently hope there never will be a world without freedom of speech or one where women have less freedom than men.

Icecream I'm really hoping you either did not actually read the post, or that you didn't understand it.

Didn't understand it Fiona.

Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Icecream342 wrote:

Then why in the world did you AGREE with it?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Paul Austin wrote: http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/golliwog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - read this and then come back and tell me if you still believe that the golly is "harmless".
I'd read about the history of the golliwog before, and have seen Florence Upton's Golliwogg and Dutch dolls which are on display in the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood. However, I fail to see anything grotesque about gollies - to me they look cheerful, smart and friendly. Bratz dolls on the other hand are ugly and are found in all shades of flesh colour, so why aren't the people who object to golliwogs also complaining about those?
We only have to look at photos and footage of the rioting to see that people of a number of races are united in wreaking havoc! It's hard to say what causes mob violence and destruction on such a large scale but I feel that what is going on may have a link to the aggressive culture of mass consumerism that has developed in recent years - "Buy yours now"; "The latest must-have item"; "The right label". There is a growing trend for individuals to focus on themselves and their own image and pleasures, and to judge others not by whether they're kind, helpful, hard-working, etc, but by the labels they wear and the gadgets they carry. The focus is on image rather than substance, and I find that terribly dehumanising. People are not valued for what they are, but for what they have, meaning in effect that things are valued more than people. Coupled with that is an idea that it's "cool" to be anti-authority and laid back to the point of being inert. Some people have rejected the notion of making plans and working towards goals. They live for today, seeking a "buzz", and joining in mass rioting not only provides them with the kind of thrill they seek, but enables them to loot items they prize so highly, like designer gear and the latest technological gadgets. They seem to have lost touch with the things that normally drive humanity - an interest in the world around them and an urge to understand more about it; empathy for fellow human beings and animals and a desire to help; an appreciation of the simple pleasures of daily life. Instead, they aspire to nothing more than whatever is currently the fashion, desiring things on a whim just because "everybody who's anybody" has them, and they are the "must-have" items of the season. Such people may get caught up in the madness of the moment simply to be part of "what's going on" - as long as they "have a ball" it doesn't matter to them if others are hurt or even die.

Thankfully, we're also seeing the best side of humanity - people of all races uniting to protect their communities and help one another.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Icecream342 wrote: Didn't understand it Fiona.
She has been eating too many sugar filled humbugs. By her own admission, they make her loopy.
Society Member
Icecream342

Post by Icecream342 »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Icecream342 wrote:

Thought I was ment to :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :oops: :oops: :cry: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

They say that "A picture speaks a thousand words". However, that many pictures is just a babble!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Icecream342

Post by Icecream342 »

70s-child wrote:
Fiona1986 wrote:
Icecream342 wrote: Didn't understand it Fiona.
She has been eating too many sugar filled humbugs. By her own admission, they make her loopy.

True. My Tounge is tingling very hard now as I have been eating humbugs.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:They say that "A picture speaks a thousand words". However, that many pictures is just a babble!
Not quite a thousand emotes, but my version!

Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Paul Austin wrote:What does Ming etc. think of the golly issue?
I've never seen a golliwog before in my life. I don't know why exactly I am being asked this question, neither do I presume to know who "etc." refers to, but even after reading that article, gollies still aren't "grotesque" to me. It's just a toy, one that is far removed from my culture, but not something I can ever find offensive.

There are good gollies and bad gollies in Enid's stories, and there are also good and bad teddies, soldiers, pixies, fairies and humans.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Icecream342 wrote:
Fiona1986 wrote:
Icecream342 wrote:

Thought I was ment to :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :oops: :oops: :cry: :oops: :oops: :oops:
You don't have to reply to every post you read! Good gracious, what a lot of useless words would be used. If you don't understand something you can either ask what is meant, or you can wait to see if someone else answers the post and see if it makes it clearer to you.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
We only have to look at photos and footage of the rioting to see that people of a number of races are united in wreaking havoc! It's hard to say what causes mob violence and destruction on such a large scale but I feel that what is going on may have a link to the aggressive culture of mass consumerism that has developed in recent years - "Buy yours now"; "The latest must-have item"; "The right label". There is a growing trend for individuals to focus on themselves and their own image and pleasures, and to judge others not by whether they're kind, helpful, hard-working, etc, but by the labels they wear and the gadgets they carry. The focus is on image rather than substance, and I find that terribly dehumanising. People are not valued for what they are, but for what they have, meaning in effect that things are valued more than people. Coupled with that is an idea that it's "cool" to be anti-authority and laid back to the point of being inert. Some people have rejected the notion of making plans and working towards goals. They live for today, seeking a "buzz", and joining in mass rioting not only provides them with the kind of thrill they seek, but enables them to loot items they prize so highly, like designer gear and the latest technological gadgets. They seem to have lost touch with the things that normally drive humanity - an interest in the world around them and an urge to understand more about it; empathy for fellow human beings and animals and a desire to help; an appreciation of the simple pleasures of daily life. Instead, they aspire to nothing more than whatever is currently the fashion, desiring things on a whim just because "everybody who's anybody" has them, and they are the "must-have" items of the season. Such people may get caught up in the madness of the moment simply to be part of "what's going on" - as long as they "have a ball" it doesn't matter to them if others are hurt or even die.

Thankfully, we're also seeing the best side of humanity - people of all races uniting to protect their communities and help one another.
You took the words right out from under my finger tips Anita! :)
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anita, I think you have a great way with words.

Having watched news coverage of the recent riots I don't feel there appears to be any one motive. Several people had expressed the view that it was youngsters with no future, unable to get jobs etc. etc. One of the first people to be convicted was a classroom assistant in a primary school. I think he was 31, so hardly a 'youngster'. He was black, the next 2 people to appear on the news bulletin were white, the people they targetted appear to have ranged from Hungarians, Polish and an English family business dated back over 100 years. I fail to see any continuity in motive for the violence. If it was anti 'foreigners', why torch the family business, if it was against lack of jobs, why the teaching assistant, if it was people from ethnic minorities, why the white men? There also appear to have been a number of women charged for violence too, so it's not even restricted to the male sex alone. The only common thread these people appear to have is a blatant disregard for anyone or anything.

| think the dignified way he father of one of the young men killed by a car is conducting himself is a great example of the individual, and to label anyone because of their background, skin colour etc. as being responsible for trouble is unjustified.
Last edited by Katharine on 11 Aug 2011, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member