General Natter Room

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: General Natter Room

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I can see how Alice's Adventures in Wonderland could work quite well with a Brexit theme as the story is surreal and is peppered with larger-than-life characters, equivocal statements, bizarre happenings and unexpected twists.

Almost as surreal are Amazon's recommendations about what else to buy. Apparently, customers who bought Alice in Brexitland also bought:

Blephasol 100ml Sensitive Eyelids Eye Lotion
4.5 out of 5 stars 435
£10.61 Amazon Prime

and

Aerolatte Milk Frother with Storage Tube, Black
4.3 out of 5 stars 1,064
£9.52 Amazon Prime.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Surreal indeed, Anita. :shock:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh dear, is that a Cheshire Farage in the tree?? :shock:

Mind you, regardless of whether Alice in Brexitland is funny or not (I wouldn't mind having a look at it for myself), I notice immediately that the author on the cover is given as "Leavis Carroll". In other words, a topical send-up of the original author's name, regardless of the fact that his works are no longer under copyright and he's certainly not around to complain anyway. (To be fair, I don't think anyone would believe for a moment that Lewis Carroll was still alive and writing to this day, but you never know... :wink: ) Why couldn't the author and publishers of the infamous Famous Five for Grown-Ups parodies show the same respect for Enid Blyton's name? Probably because her name still sells books and they know it... :roll:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

A bit scared of going to Australia now after reading this article.. :shock: :|

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.telegraph ... s-are/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Oh for goodness' sake... we get those in our houses all the time. :roll: They're not poisonous to humans at all, don't worry. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I can suppose that but seeing one would be enough to give me a heart attack. :lol:
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

We do realise that arachnophobia is a very real thing and in some people can be quite intense.

You'd better not read 'The Lord of the Rings' then, Maria Esther. especially the bit about Shelob.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

the spiders in The Hobbit were bad enough! I'm not scared of spiders, but I'm not keen on them.
:D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Or Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. :lol:
You can call me Sunskriti!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Oh yes — I remember watching the film of that one and I can still just see poor Ron's face as they meet the giant spider!! :shock: :lol:

No, seriously, I do realise that for some, fear of spiders really can get to an almost paralysing point and it's not at all easy to control, let alone get over. I'm not exactly fond of huntsman spiders myself — they don't utterly terrify me, but I certainly won't sleep in the same room as one! But having grown up with them, it's easier to realise that they're not as scary as they look. If we have one in the house, we always catch it in a container with a lid (a large ice cream container, usually) and let it go outside. Which I can do myself, if I have to, but it's usually Dad's job. :wink:

I do think Australia has a far worse press than necessary when it comes to poisonous/dangerous/scary creatures, by the way. Yes, we DO have some very venomous spiders and snakes (not to mention sharks and crocodiles), but when you look at how often the average Australian actually encounters them, let alone how often anyone dies or is seriously injured because of them, the figures are really very low. I lived in Australia for the first 30 years of my life and don't think I have ever even seen a deadly poisonous snake or spider in the wild. So don't let all the hyped-up reports put you off — it isn't nearly as scary a place as it sometimes sounds. :wink:
Last edited by Courtenay on 29 May 2017, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member

Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Domino wrote:We do realise that arachnophobia is a very real thing and in some people can be quite intense.

You'd better not read 'The Lord of the Rings' then, Maria Esther. especially the bit about Shelob.

Dave
:shock: :shock:
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Courtenay wrote:

No, seriously, I do realise that for some, fear of spiders really can get to an almost paralysing point and it's not at all easy to control, let alone get over. I'm not exactly fond of huntsman spiders myself — they don't utterly terrify me, but I certainly won't sleep in the same room as one! But having grown up with them, it's easier to realise that they're not as scary as they look. If we have one in the house, we always catch it in a container with a lid (a large ice cream container, usually) and let it go outside. Which I can do myself, if I have to, but it's usually Dad's job. :wink:

You can't imagine!!! It all started when I saw this massive black hairy spider in New York. Until then I wasn't fond of spiders but not that scared of them. Now, I get a panic attack if I see one. Actually, I don't like 'creepy crawlies' at all.
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I don't like spiders, ever since I was bitten by one last year. I must have been sleeping in my tee-shirt and couldn't get out so it bit me a couple of times, and I really did feel quite ill for a few days. The whole area where the bite was on my side, came up like a bubble and it was extremely painful. I put them out as soon as I spy one, and I've taken to putting conkers on the ledge of my opened windows, so they won't get in. (They don't like conkers!)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Domino wrote:We do realise that arachnophobia is a very real thing and in some people can be quite intense.
Dave
Dave/Domino, I like your avatar from "Stage Freight". 8)
Seems I'm not the only Hitchcock fan on this forum :).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Courtenay wrote:Oh yes — I remember watching the film of that one and I can still just see poor Ron's face as they meet the giant spider!! :shock: :lol:

I do think Australia has a far worse press than necessary when it comes to poisonous/dangerous/scary creatures, by the way. Yes, we DO have some very venomous spiders and snakes (not to mention sharks and crocodiles), but when you look at how often the average Australian actually encounters them, let alone how often anyone dies or is seriously injured because of them, the figures are really very low. I lived in Australia for the first 30 years of my life and don't think I have ever even seen a deadly poisonous snake or spider in the wild. So don't let all the hyped-up reports put you off — it isn't nearly as scary a place as it sometimes sounds. :wink:
I must admit, I like Australia and find the people I've encountered to be so lovely and friendly, but I could never ever go there. Your spiders are a whole other planet of terrifying to ours and ours are bad enough :shock: . They don't even need to be poisonous, the very thought of getting a glimpse of one is enough, I just know I'd never relax. As it is I always open any parcel from another country cautiously incase something has managed to creep in, irrational I know but after reading articles of people finding some huge exotic thing in their grapes or something it put it in my mind. I think if you have a phobia of something, anything to do with it sticks firmly in your mind and is even exacerbated in an attempt to keep yourself from encountering it.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶