General Natter Room

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: General Natter Room

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:A lot of message boards and discussion forums have closed in recent years, Chrissie, including ones I've been a member of. The usual reason is that fewer and fewer people are using them and places like Facebook and Twitter are where everything is happening now. I'm not on Facebook or any similar social media and have no interest in them (I did try Facebook once and didn't like it at all). Thank goodness the Enid Blyton Society forums are still thriving!! :D :wink:
Courtenay, the problem is that there are only new movies or TV series discussed on the imdb Facebook page, there is no link to/for classic films and their credits/cast etc.
I don't even understand why the imdb has a FB page at all? :roll:
Does it serve any other purpose than making new productions known?
IMHO it does not contribute anything compared with their great website.

There are so many different movie genres (musicals, westerns, thriller, mystery, film noir, dramas etc), but all I can see on imdb FB is some questionable newly produced TV series which gets discussed plus dozens of disappointed imdb users who complain about shutting down the message boards (me being one of them).

Sorry if this post comes across as grumpy :oops: , but it really is a big shock for me as I enjoyed participating in the imdb message boards, especially film noir and older movies in general.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It does sound a shame for all that information to be lost. I don't see how Facebook could do the same job even if all the information from the message boards was somehow transferred to it, as the format is different and not as user-friendly.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I don't see how Facebook could do the same job even if all the information from the message boards was somehow transferred to it, as the format is different and not as user-friendly.
Anita, they can't. :cry:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Suggesting the IMDB forum could be replaced with Facebook is just silly. You can't go onto Facebook and find the IMDB page and then think "I'd like to read what people said about x film" even if it is a recent release. You'd have to scroll through their whole timeline in the hope of spotting it.

I've never posted on the IMDB forum but sometimes I do read threads under the programme/film's page looking for extra info or even just someone who shares me opinion!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Yep I often search the message boards for some info if there's a movie I'm thinking of watching and want to know more about. It's a shame it's closing, after so many years it was bound to be a storehouse of trivia, info, clichés and what not. I definitely think they should at least archive the current conversations even if they stop the functions that let people login/reply etc.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

We use IMDb on a daily basis - but only to check up on where we have seen an actor before. I didn't know they had a message board, although I wouldn't have used it in any case.
Rob Houghton wrote:attention seekers lol! :P :lol:
That wasn't my intention! I was really only following on from Pete's post - which I would imagine was made with his tongue in his cheek! I am sure I don't post as much as I used to, but still enjoying looking at threads that interest me.
Julie2owlsdene wrote:Its really funny in a way, that when you retire, you seem to have less time on your hands, than when working.
How true that is. :|
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

On a recent check I noticed that there have been 273,404 posts on these forums and four members who have all retired and now have less time on their hands are responsible for 20% of the posts on the site.

As I haven't yet retired, logic suggests from the posts above that I should have more time on my hands, so I am slightly embarrassed that I am only responsible for just 2% of the total posts. :oops:
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

But you always write intelligent thoughtful posts, Tony - quality rather than quantity! :-D

...and yes, I know, I'm a creep, lol! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Crumbs, I hope nobody is seriously thinking about retiring from the forums! I don't post much myself but I like to have something to read you know!! :lol:
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Looking at your post, Tony, I would say you have plenty of time on your hands! And yes, Rob, you are a first-class creep! As I suspect I am one of your researched retirees, does the 20% refer to posts made since we retired or all posts since the forums started?
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Darrell71 wrote:Yep I often search the message boards for some info if there's a movie I'm thinking of watching and want to know more about. It's a shame it's closing, after so many years it was bound to be a storehouse of trivia, info, clichés and what not. I definitely think they should at least archive the current conversations even if they stop the functions that let people login/reply etc.
Archiving would be a great idea. 8)
I wish computer technology would be already developed to the point that you could keep some website indefinitely on your computer, even if they shut it down.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Tony Summerfield wrote:As I haven't yet retired, logic suggests from the posts above that I should have more time on my hands, so I am slightly embarrassed that I am only responsible for just 2% of the total posts. :oops:
Please keep posting, Tony, I always enjoy reading your posts! 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:
Julie2owlsdene wrote:Its really funny in a way, that when you retire, you seem to have less time on your hands, than when working.
How true that is. :|
Well, I've already felt that way when I was in my early thirties and a working woman, even though I loved my job. Nevertheless I was always looking forward to finally reaching the point in life where I would be having more spare time once I'll be over 60, but it just doesn't seem to happen.
I blame it on having too many interests/topics that fascinate me and look them up on the Internet. And one thing leads to another, I find links to similar pages and so on. :roll:

John Steinbeck once said that people spend a lot of time trying to find ways to save time. :wink:
I guess it's a battle which I can't win...I will always have way too little time.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Chrissie777 wrote: I wish computer technology would be already developed to the point that you could keep some website indefinitely on your computer, even if they shut it down.
Won't that have some security issues? :?:
You can call me Sunskriti!
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Darrell71 wrote:Won't that have some security issues? :?:
No, probably not with the imdb as they don't have virusses or make you use cookies.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock