General Natter Room

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: General Natter Room

Post by Rob Houghton »

sixret wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
pete9012S wrote: I sort of made a decision a while back to retire once I had reached a certain amount and leave some space for the next generation.
Yes, I considered retiring from the forums some time ago - once I had reached 20,000 posts. I have just passed my 12th anniversary and have probably nearly said all I can say on Enid's books.
Please don't. I enjoyed reading most of your witty one-lined comments. Some of them really made me laugh out loud. I have known you through internet for so long since Yahoo group and for me you are always a synonym for Enid Blyton Society forum. :D
Definitely! I always feel a bit disappointed when Nigel isn't around on the forums. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

You can't retire now, Nigel. :shock: You've just won the Caption Competition!!! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I'd also hate to see people retire from the forums. I hope there will always be new things to talk about in the world of Blyton - or fresh angles on old things!
I sometimes worry that blyton-wise I've already said everything on EBS forums (and repeated it numerous times :oops: ) that came to my mind. Don't get me wrong, please, I still enjoy reading EB books very much, I'm a Blyton addict and always will be, but I doubt that I'll be able to notice anything new that I have not already noticed and mentioned here at the forums at previous readings.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I don't ever find the forum discussions feel old or repetitive or I've-said-it-all, at least for me — there are plenty of Enid Blyton books I haven't read yet, and it's always interesting to hear other people's views on books I know and love or books I'm only just discovering. (And occasionally on other topics too, like tea. :P ) Besides, this has got to be the most genuinely fun and friendly and nice community of "like minds" that I've ever discovered online. I wouldn't leave it any time soon — not for the world. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Daisy wrote:You never know, Nigel. Other people's observations can trigger new thoughts at times.
That's a good point! 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:I don't ever find the forum discussions feel old or repetitive or I've-said-it-all, at least for me — there are plenty of Enid Blyton books I haven't read yet, and it's always interesting to hear other people's views on books I know and love or books I'm only just discovering. (And occasionally on other topics too, like tea. :P ) Besides, this has got to be the most genuinely fun and friendly and nice community of "like minds" that I've ever discovered online. I wouldn't leave it any time soon — not for the world. :D
Courtenay, wait until I'll have read "The Children of Kidillin" :wink: ! That will be a first read for me.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Courtenay wrote:You can't retire now, Nigel. :shock: You've just won the Caption Competition!!! :wink:
Haha! I would find it difficult to stop looking in. For one thing, I would miss you all! I used to read every post, I had loads of time when I was working - sitting around waiting for the next call. Now I only read threads that appeal to me, unless I have plenty of time on my hands. Maybe I will just go into semi-retirement! :)
Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

pete9012S wrote:Thanks Sixret. :D

I sort of made a decision a while back to retire once I had reached a certain amount and leave some space for the next generation.
Golly, I know some at one forum that in the space of fifteen years clocked over over thirty-six thousand posts, one I called a one man posting machine! And they haven't stopped :lol:
To me the time to stop posting is either when forum feels stale or or you no longer get anything out sharing your interests with others.
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Moonraker, Pete and co, please don't retire guys. I enjoy your sense of humour, not to mention opinions on EB and her books, and if the other recent posts on this thread are anything to go by, I'm not alone.
Seriously though, the forums wouldn't be the same without you, and anyways, we ain't exactly short of space on the internet. :D
joanne_chan wrote: To me the time to stop posting is either when forum feels stale or or you no longer get anything out sharing your interests with others.
Totally agreed.
This is a great online community, so I daresay it'll never get stale, at least for me. :D
You can call me Sunskriti!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

attention seekers lol! :P :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Its really funny in a way, that when you retire, you seem to have less time on your hands, than when working. I've often heard the phrase, I don't know how I managed to work and fit everything in. :lol:

My calendar gets full quickly now with everything I do, more so than when I was working, as I hardly used the calendar back then. Now I have to put everything down, and the full days go by so quickly.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

I'm very disappointed right now. I just found out that one of my favorite websites, the imdb.com, which I use several times per day for research closes down their message boards :(.

This is their dumb excuse: IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.

Increasingly, IMDb customers have migrated to IMDb's social media accounts as the primary place they choose to post comments and communicate with IMDb's editors and one another. IMDb's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/imdb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and official Twitter account (https://twitter.com/imdb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) have an audience of more than 10 million engaged fans. IMDb also maintains official accounts on Snapchat (https://www.snapchat.com/add/imdblive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/imdbofficial/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/imdb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and Tumblr (http://imdb.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Because IMDb's message boards continue to be utilized by a small but passionate community of IMDb users, we announced our decision to disable our message boards on February 3, 2017 but will leave them open for two additional weeks so that users will have ample time to archive any message board content they'd like to keep for personal use. During this two-week transition period, which concludes on February 19, 2017, IMDb message board users can exchange contact information with any other board users they would like to remain in communication with (since once we shut down the IMDb message boards, users will no longer be able to send personal messages to one another). We regret any disappointment or frustration IMDb message board users may experience as a result of this decision.

It's not a small group, it's a large group of movie buffs and people who try to find certain movie titles.
The only alternative listed on the Facebook imdb page is this strange website: https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/16227-dark-passage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BUT they don't have a message board.

I was a member since 2002, it was my "working tool" at the movie archives in Hamburg, Germany, when I was still answering readers' letters of CINEMA magazine. Sometimes I hate change! :(
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's a great pity, Chrissie. :( I don't think I've ever posted on imdb but I have sometimes enjoyed reading people's comments on the message boards.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita, I've enjoyed reading that, too!
And it's not so much the chit chat between movie buffs that I will miss, it's the many details about movies that imdb users contributed years ago and that will all get lost after 20th of February once they close the message boards for good. Many people wrote about actors they have known many years ago or they mentioned particular movie locations which were not disclosed in "filming locations" further up in the movie facts, but sometimes could be found in one of the threats on the message board.

I just made a list for the next 10 days and the movies I still want to look up, before it's too late. :cry:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

A lot of message boards and discussion forums have closed in recent years, Chrissie, including ones I've been a member of. The usual reason is that fewer and fewer people are using them and places like Facebook and Twitter are where everything is happening now. I'm not on Facebook or any similar social media and have no interest in them (I did try Facebook once and didn't like it at all). Thank goodness the Enid Blyton Society forums are still thriving!! :D :wink:
Society Member