General Natter Room

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: General Natter Room

Post by pete9012S »

I sympathise Rob. I used to go weight training around three times a week when I was fifteen with grown men.
I lifted far too heavy weights whilst I was still growing and slightly damaged my spine.

The guys used to pile more and more weights onto the bench press to see the maximum each of us could lift.
I remember I could lift 40lbs more than my bodyweight quite easily - but I wouldn't want to attempt those figures with my extra pounds today!!!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

If I'm more mature now than I will be when I'm 40, I don't even want to imagine what I'm gonna be like then. :roll:
I just named my dad's nose Fred. Yep, sure sign of extreme maturity.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Darrell71 wrote: I just named my dad's nose Fred. Yep, sure sign of extreme maturity.
Oh dear. :lol: Reminds me of the old joke...

"The police are looking for a man with one eye called Murphy."
"So what's his other eye called?"
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

:lol: :lol:
Oh his ears were just named Lemony and Snicket. Now for them eyes. :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

Btw you guys, I just read through some of my old posts from back in 2012 on the MT Quiz thread. (I read my old posts when I have time sometimes, it's fun to see how everyone has changed/grown.)
I'm actually genuinely embarrassed. I was such a brat ugh. I wonder how anyone even put up with me. :lol: (and still does). But I did read a post from a user called 70s-child about how I shouldn't be let off the hook for being rude just because I was Indian. She even PMed me a link to an article describing badly behaved Indian kids on an International flight, and saying I reminded her of the article. So 5 years later, lemme just clear it up. In 2012 I hadn't even been in India for long. I was hardly an Indian kid tbh, and I really wasn't that rude all the time. I just used to get riled up easily and didn't know if a joke was going too far. I know no one even remembers any of this but I just felt a sudden urge to say it lol. Don't judge a person by their nationality, because there are badly behaved kids/adults everywhere. And I was never one of them. Still am not. :D
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

A very interesting post Sunskriti - and I do remember 70s-child. You were not the only one she chose to argue with and she didn't stay around that long. However you are still here 5 years later, about which we are pleased. We have had a few children who have come and gone within about 2 years so it is good to see people like you and Poppy still popping in when you can and lovely to hear of your progress.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

Glad to hear it. :wink: :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Darrell71 wrote:Don't judge a person by their nationality, because there are badly behaved kids/adults everywhere.
We often think that, Sunskriti. We watch programmes such as the Levison Wood travel programmes. His latest was a walk from Russia to Iran. He passes through dangerous places where I wouldn't want to visit. However, the native folk - both adults and children - are charming people. All willing to help him and offer hospitality. It is only the rulers and religious extremists that ruin these lands. "Ordinary" people seem the same the world over. As John Lennon wrote:

♫♫ Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today... Aha-ah...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace... You...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
♫♫
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Quite! Its a shame that this dream of peace hasn't been enacted yet, 50 years later. :-(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

It seems more and more like a dream the way the world is now. :cry:
Moonraker wrote: He passes through dangerous places where I wouldn't want to visit.
Neither would I. Too much bloodshed.

My dad was in Dubai recently, and he was in a cab with a cabbie who was clearly not a local. They started talking, and it turned out he was from Pakistan. Now I hope most of you are aware of the bad and sad history between India and Pakistan. But that man seemed so happy to be in a cab with my dad. He told him "Our countries may be rivals, but here, so far from home, you seem like a brother to me. You remind me of home, and I live for these moments, in which I meet fellow South Asians. "
My dad asked him how long he had been in Dubai.
"17 years. But next month, I'm going back home, forever."
"Why?"
"Idhar kaam hai, paisa hai, lekin ghar nahi hai, saab." (There is money and work here, but there is no home.)
"My daughter is getting married soon. I never even got a chance to watch her grow. Now I finally have enough savings to go home and spend time with my younger kids."
My dad says the sheer joy on his face, at seeing someone who spoke his language, and knew what he was talking about, was something he will never forget. The man was from Peshawar, a place near the Afghanistan border that we would never visit even if we were paid too. Too much terrorism. But the people are never bad.

We have had this experience so many times when we visit foreign countries. An Indian and a Pakistan having a friendly conversation in India? lol. But abroad? Every single Brown street hawker will see your skin color, ask where you're from, and reply with a "I'm from Pakistan!" or "I'm from Bangladesh!" It's amazing.

I'm a terrible babbler, am I not? :lol:

When I was talking about badly behaved kids I didn't have this angle in mind at all but anyways.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Belated congratulations on your tenth anniversary with the forums Eddie. They are a wonderfully enriching way to pass time. I believe we have all made many great friends on here.

Here's to another ten. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you, John. We certainly have all made many great friends on the forums. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

When you get to the age that you are as forgetful as I am, it is always nice to get email reminders of forthcoming appointments:-

'We would like to remind you that you have an appointment with us on Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 10:00 AM. Please remember to bring a state or govenment issued photo ID (drivers license, passport, etc.) to the appointment.'

However, when I checked my diary it would seem that I haven't got an appointment this Thursday at Divinity Tattoo in Phoenix, Arizona! :lol:
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

:lol: :lol:

Not having more work done on that Noddy tattoo then Tony? :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I thought it was Anita who had the Noddy tattoo... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

is the above just a useless piece of scam advertising? I presume the poster is just a troll? :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member