General Natter Room

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: General Natter Room

Post by Rob Houghton »

Katharine wrote:A little anxious by nature, and occasionally so obstinate that you get yourself into trouble, you’re nonetheless good-hearted and utterly devoted to your friends, just like Moley :?
I was Mole, too! :lol: In reality though, I'm really more like Eeyore. :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
snugglepot
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Faraway Tree, Barney Books
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by snugglepot »

I'm Charlotte, too.
I wish one of the options had been Hedwig from Harry Potter.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I turned out to be Mrs Beaver, I'm happy with that but like Daisy I found some of the questions weren't really applicable.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Being in a better mood I tried it again - although I thought the questions were pretty stupid. I came out as Mrs Beaver. :|
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

It limited the questions by only using quotations from books!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

I got Mole as well. Probably pretty accurate!
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

I too was a mole. The questions were rather strange, for humans, anyway.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I don't know what I got other than a fit of the vapours when a big cartoon spider flashed up on the screen. I didn't get any further as I shut the whole lot down quick! I was expecting Bambi or Tom Kitten or something not that :shock: .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Sounds like the Charlotte the spider out of Charlotte's Web (the same as Courtenay got). :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

I've never bothered with that and don't know a thing about it because I know I couldn't handle the illustrations so it never occurred to me it would come up. I was thinking along the lines of Disney, Bugs Bunny or Scooby Doo :lol: .
Society Member

Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Gosh, if the 1973 cartoon version of Charlotte is scary, don't go looking at the 2006 CGI version... :shock: :wink:

Seriously, though, Charlotte's Web is an absolute classic — I would have been 6 when I first read it — and I'm sure it had a lot to do with the fact that I love spiders and refuse to kill them (except deadly venomous ones, of which there are only a few species even in Australia!). Mind you, funnily enough, it didn't have any effect on my willingness to eat meat, despite the fact that the whole plot is about how Charlotte saves Wilbur the pig from being slaughtered... But I've never much liked pork and bacon anyway. :wink:

Back to the quiz, this is what it says about Charlotte — I would say it sounds like it suits you, IceMaiden! :D
Like a certain spider we know, you are wise, kind, and creative. You will work tirelessly in the aid of a friend, and you’re not at all afraid to speak up for what you believe in.

'Charlotte’s Web' by E. B. White
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Its quite ironic that IceMaiden should turn out to be a spider when she can't stand them! :shock: Sounds like Charlotte is one of your better spiders, though! :-D Believe it or not I've never read Charlotte's Web or seen a film version either!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

It really is worth reading, Rob. It's set on a farm in 1950s New England and there are lots of beautiful, idyllic descriptions of nature as well as lovable and memorable characters and a very engaging story. Both the films are lots of fun too, though they're a bit different from the book and from each other. The 1973 cartoon is more cute and light-hearted, with some good songs, too — it's a musical. The 2006 film (live action + CGI) is a little bit more serious, but it really brings out the theme — more so than the original book does, in fact — of how Charlotte and Wilbur's friendship makes the whole farm a better place. Between the book and the two films, I'd highly recommend any or all of them! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

Courtenay wrote:Gosh, if the 1973 cartoon version of Charlotte is scary, don't go looking at the 2006 CGI version... :shock: :wink:

Seriously, though, Charlotte's Web is an absolute classic — I would have been 6 when I first read it — and I'm sure it had a lot to do with the fact that I love spiders and refuse to kill them (except deadly venomous ones, of which there are only a few species even in Australia!). Mind you, funnily enough, it didn't have any effect on my willingness to eat meat, despite the fact that the whole plot is about how Charlotte saves Wilbur the pig from being slaughtered... But I've never much liked pork and bacon anyway. :wink:

Back to the quiz, this is what it says about Charlotte — I would say it sounds like it suits you, IceMaiden! :D
Like a certain spider we know, you are wise, kind, and creative. You will work tirelessly in the aid of a friend, and you’re not at all afraid to speak up for what you believe in.

'Charlotte’s Web' by E. B. White
I kid you not Courtenay, my phobia is so bad I can't even read The Tale of Mrs Tittlemouse without skipping a certain two pages - and that's a book aimed at little children!! :oops: :shock:

The description definitely fits though! Well perhaps not the wise bit :P but the rest does, especially the last part :oops: As Rob says that how ironic that I match the description of a character I can't bear to look at!
Society Member

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42997068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've just read this article. I know I'm not very widely read, but in my experience, I've mostly read female authors. Not because I'm anti-men, but that's just the way it has happened. A quick glance along my bookshelves, and I immediately spot Enid Blyton, Agatha Christie, Angela Brazil, Elinor Brent Dyer, J.K. Rowling, E. Nesbitt, and Noel Streatfeild. Then there are numerous 1950s school girl books, again mostly written by women. The only male that features heavily is Arthur Ransome. I know those are children's books, but a quick search in my brain of other authors I've heard people recommend mostly comes up with women, ie Lynda La Plante, Jackie Collins, Stephanie Meyer. The only male authors I can think of are older such as Shakespeare and Dickens.

Maybe it's a modern problem then? No, the children's bookshelves show a similar picture, Linda Chapman, Antonia Barber, and Jill Murphy. I know I struggled to find any books for my son other than the set of Thomas The Tank Engine (written by a man), and the books he liked best were written by Francesca Simon - oh look, yet another female author!!!!!

The only book shelves that are male author dominated are unsurprisingly those with my husband's books on. He likes authors such as Andy McNab.

I'm sure fellow forumites are now going to overwhelm me with male authors they love to read, but certainly in my experience there's no shortage of women writers about.
Society Member