General Natter Room

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Re: General Natter Room

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
If you don't get replies to all your posts, it doesn't mean they aren't being read. Sometimes people have time to read but not reply, or they don't know the answer to your question, or don't feel they have anything to add to the point you've made. I read just about everything that is posted on the forums, your posts included, but if I tried to reply to everything it would take me all day! :) We all have to be selective because of other demands on our time. And there's always the chance that older threads will be revived at some stage and attract new comments.
You are right Anita. I'm not one that will read every post, I would probably just have a quick look at the topics I'm not really interested in and sometimes I like following other topics, seeing other people comments but then I feel I have nothing to add to it. And of course, there's time as well, some days, when I'm quite busy, I get online to read the posts and then log off without posting anything.
Something similar happened in NB group, one of the members is 18 and he got really upset when we didn't answer his question, he even said he didn't wanted to remain in the group :shock:, we all had to explain him what you just said to Zainab and I guess is probably how young people with lots of free time feel.
And what I have found is that in the EBS everyone is wanted and for me this is my second family.. :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Machupicchu14 wrote: And what I have found is that in the EBS everyone is wanted and for me this is my second family.. :D
Awww! :D I agree, this has got to be the nicest, most welcoming forum I've ever been a part of. I only remember a handful of times when discussions have ever turned nasty here, either from deliberate trolls or heated political opinions, but it never lasts long and it's generally taken for granted that being friendly and kind and respectful to everyone is the most important thing. I like to think it's our shared love of Enid Blyton that has that influence. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Machupicchu14 wrote:And what I have found is that in the EBS everyone is wanted and for me this is my second family.. :D
That's a lovely thing to say Maria Esther and I agree everyone is made very welcome on here.
Courtenay wrote: I like to think it's our shared love of Enid Blyton that has that influence. :wink:
Not only our shared love of Enid Blyton, but also, I think, the lessons of tolerance, kindliness and thought for others which we all learned from our reading of her stories, as we were growing up.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Daisy wrote:Not only our shared love of Enid Blyton, but also, I think, the lessons of tolerance, kindliness and thought for others which we all learned from our reading of her stories, as we were growing up.
I love the bold ones! :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

I m sorry Anita, if it felt like I was saying to the Board Administrators, no you always do, and I didnt say you should be doing or everyone else.
I've been very attached to EB forum ,even though there were alot of times, that because i was a child I couldnot say things clearly so there were alot of negative remarks and I felt really bad. Even then, I always forgot and moved on.
I think, this feeling could occur to anyone, sometimes there specific comments or things said to people who are related but they choose not to reply for some reason, but you feel ignored or not heard too.
Its a natural feeling,it came to me its not like my fault, Ive been here for around a couple of years and it does sometime feel,neglected or not heard too.( its just a feeling arising from circumstances not someones fault here :P)
It just is a reminder that if someone feels they have something positive to add, for those who dont post that much or can post, to do so, it could really be very motivating.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think we all feel that way to a certain extent - especially if we make a point and then it's ignored, but later down the thread someone else says the same thing and are applauded for it! This mainly happens because people don't always read the whole thread, especially if comments have gone onto a new page. I'm sure no one does it on purpose though. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote: This mainly happens because people don't always read the whole thread, especially if comments have gone onto a new page. I'm sure no one does it on purpose though. :-D
I either follow the entire thread from the beginning or read at least the last 3 or 4 comments. I make it a rule to check the previous page of a thread unless it's already close to the bottom of the page and I still remember what has been commented by other forumites before.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I try hard to read as many threads as I can on here but I can't post on all of them, just catching up with a few that have moved along three or four pages takes a while! I don't like looking like I'm only dipping in and out or giving the impression that I'm not really bothered either as I am, I simply don't have the time to be on here as much as I'd like. Having said that I'd rather not be on a forum enough than on too much. I have been on forums where some posters don't ever seem to leave for more than about a minute, apart from not knowing how they can manage to do that, I do wonder why somebody would want to spend virtually every waking moment on a site, any site. I'm sure they'll regret it in later down the line when their wondering where the years went :( .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I've never received notifications from EBS since day one I became a member. I do not know how.

I am very busy with my work, life and reading. I also have other interests apart from Enid Blyton. I admit that I don't read most of the comments.

I read all my favourite threads and threads related to EB whenever I visit this forum. That's for sure because the subjects interest me. The comments(anything related to Enid Blyton and her works) in these threads are the highlight of this forum, in my opinion. And I read them even if they are long posts. I really enjoy reading thoughts/analysis/write ups made by other forumites about Enid Blyton books/magazines/life. This is the main reason I visit the forum.

I read other threads' latest comments only(although sometimes I do go back to see the flow of the conversation of certain issue) and reply to those comments sporadically especially if they involve forumites' good/bad news.

Whenever I make the replies/comments, I often go back to those threads to see if anyone has responded to my comments to respond if necessary. Although sometimes I forget the threads that I have commented hence no reply from me. This is how it works for me because I have never received notifications from this forum. Not even once.

So please, if I don't reply to your comments, don't get sad/angry. It is just that I forget the thread or sometimes I even forget that I have made the comments in the first place! Weeks later I found my comments and could not even remember I wrote those comments!
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

When you click on "Post Reply" there's a list of tickable options below the reply box, one of which is "Notify me when a reply is posted".
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Rob Houghton wrote:I think we all feel that way to a certain extent - especially if we make a point and then it's ignored, but later down the thread someone else says the same thing and are applauded for it! This mainly happens because people don't always read the whole thread, especially if comments have gone onto a new page. I'm sure no one does it on purpose though. :-D
I have had this happen to me too - and think that the person making such a comment hasn't bothered to go back a post or two to make sure the point hasn't already been made!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I don't read all threads. I just don't have the time. I tend to ignore all the games threads and rarely look at the Other Authors thread. If I am away for a few days, I just can't catch up with the pages of new posts. As for being ignored, that doesn't bother me. I don't reply to the majority of posts, and in the threads that I look at, I tend to speed read them so probably miss quite a lot. I haven't even read all of the Journal yet! I think it is a feature of forums that we feel the need to either reply about something and/or be irritated if we think we are being ignored!

The Journal receives pages of comments before and after its publication. No other magazine that I read gets any feedback from me or others in the way that they do on here. The MSS has no forum, so there are no comments or posts to make on each Acksherley! - the journal of the MSS. I receive The Railway Magazine monthly, but never write to them, reviewing every article like some of us tend to here. If I didn't like the magazine, I wouldn't buy it. There are many here who don't buy the Journal, so that might suggest that they aren't that interested in Enid Blyton. I have subscribed to the Journal since joining in 2005, which speaks volumes. I might not comment on every article, but it doesn't mean I don't read and enjoy them.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:There are many here who don't buy the Journal, so that might suggest that they aren't that interested in Enid Blyton. I have subscribed to the Journal since joining in 2005, which speaks volumes. I might not comment on every article, but it doesn't mean I don't read and enjoy them.
Totally agree. I sometimes forget to comment, but that doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed the Journal. Sometimes, like you, I don't read it all straight away. I still have about half of it to read, and this is just because I've been doing other things - but I will get to it shortly.

I tend to think that if people don't buy the Journals they have only a secondary interest in Enid Blyton - certainly aren't massive fans. I have also subscribed to the Journal for many years - since 2000, I think - and I have enjoyed each and every one. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I don't get email notifications, I don't want to be flooded out with emails. I just check the site a few times during the day and view Active Posts. I too can't reply to everything as I don't have the time, only if I feel my input is needed. And some may think it isn't! :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I get email notifications - when my email provider can be bothered. Quite often I'll have none all day, so I check out the new posts on EBS and as soon as I do, I receive ten emails all telling me of notifications - which by then I've already looked at!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member