General Natter Room

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: General Natter Room

Post by Chrissie777 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I don't get email notifications, I don't want to be flooded out with emails. I just check the site a few times during the day and view Active Posts. I too can't reply to everything as I don't have the time, only if I feel my input is needed. And some may think it isn't! :lol: :lol:
Julie, I never miss reading any of your comments in the threats that I follow. And I enjoy them very much! 8)
I get notifications, because at least twice a year I take time off from the computer for several weeks (chronic tendonitis) and then try to catch up on the notifications from EBS later on when my right arm feels better again.

Actually I don't get flooded with EBS notifications (maybe a dozen per day), but I certainly did get flooded with Facebook notifications in my Yahoo inbox since I've joined them in 2014. Some friends shared about 100 websites per day with me (how I envy them for having that much time!!!). I got tendonitis just from clicking delete 100+ times a day whenever I checked Yahoo. Finally my husband helped me turn those FB notifications off.
The bad thing about turning them off is that you no longer know about upcoming birthdays, but that can't be helped.

I'm also a member in a German nostalgia website for Baby Boomers and in a Yahoo Group on French author Anne Golon (Angélique), but they are not nearly as active as EBS.
I spend least of my time on FB as their many selfies and pics of exotic drinks really don't interest me. So I might miss some really good things on FB, but simply cannot read everything. I have my priorities and EBS is definitely one of them. :D
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I don't get email notifications, I don't want to be flooded out with emails
No, I get enough emails daily without needing another to tell me Courtenay is trying out another pretentious tea!
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

:lol: :lol: Nigel, as I choke over a mouthful of common or garden Typhoo. :wink:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

I'd agree with a number of you, this is one of the nicest places I've ever joined having more the feel of close friends who share likes and knowledge with each other, as if we are in a room together.
Usually I try to read a series of posts around related topics before considering responding, looking at the points made and if I feel I can add something to what's been said rather than posting 'at' a thread a semi automatic response regardless.
I guess inevitably some people will get more responses than others but always feel those who don't are just as well regarded if not sometimes more so.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote: No, I get enough emails daily without needing another to tell me Courtenay is trying out another pretentious tea!
Oh dear, and there I was just about to email you to let you know I'm just thinking of having another cup of my new favourite Twinings China Rose. :mrgreen: :P :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

:wink:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Haha. You can't beat a good cup of Rosie-Lee, me old China plate. :D
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I'll drink to that. 8) (It's Lady Grey — Earl Grey with orange and lemon — if you were wondering. :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have tried to like Earl Grey, but I really don't like that "scenty" flavour. It is a shame as I feel I should be a tea snob and fit in well with the crooked-finger brigade. I did see some Lapsang Souchong in a farm shop earlier today, and almost bought a box. However, I thought it would be a waste of money. I could really do with an assorted box - one tea bag of every variety!

We'd better move on before we get hauled in front of the Head for having two tea threads! :shock:
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

talking of tea and being a tea snob - I'll never make the grade. I only really like common tea - especially Co-op 99 and I prefer it in a mug - a good thick pottery mug rather than a china one.

in fact, clearing cupboards today I found two china tea sets and have put them ready to be taken to a charity shop - hate drinking tea out of bone china.

8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Pleb. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I never set out to be a tea snob — it's just that I find ordinary "English Breakfast"-style tea (PG Tips, Co-op 99, and all the rest of it) too bitter for me! :lol: I have tried it with milk and/or sugar, but that makes it even less palatable. Earl Grey, on the other hand, is usually milder and I like the slight citrus taste. So I started drinking Earl Grey because it's a variety that's widely available and doesn't raise too many eyebrows when one asks for it. I believe Her Majesty likes it too. :wink:
Society Member

Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote: I believe Her Majesty likes it too. :wink:
Talk about Hyacinth Bucket!!! ;-) :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Rob, I rest my case. Maybe if Australian television remade The Good Life, Courtenay could be cast as Margo!
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote: Talk about Hyacinth Bucket!!! ;-) :lol:
Well then, I'm sure you'll be relieved to know I don't have any relatives with a Mercedes, swimming pool and rrroom for a pony. :wink:
Society Member

John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Tea? What a waste of money.
Society Member