Computer Upgrades, Issues and Conventions

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Re: Computer Upgrades, Issues and Conventions

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Woah Sunskriti!! I never thought people would do that! :shock:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I don't even speak to spam callers! :roll:
Scrolled too fast and read spam as having 'er' in the middle instead of 'a' :shock: :shock: :shock:

I can usually identify SPAM callers purely on the fact that they take more than five seconds to speak once I pick up. If they haven't said anything in that time I hang up.

We fairly regularly get calls asking for various people we've never met and I believe the calls (some of them at least) originate from Virgin Mobile. Our landline is with Virgin so why they think it belongs to four or five other people is a mystery.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Julie2owlsdene wrote:I don't even speak to spam callers! :roll:
Scrolled too fast and read spam as having 'er' in the middle instead of 'a' :shock: :shock: :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well thank goodness for that, Julie! :wink: :wink:

We only speak to them if it's clearly someone who thinks we're still in US and it promises to be fun to play along for us!
You can call me Sunskriti!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I've not upgraded my Mac recently
I haven't worn a mac since being at school. A shame that they have rather gone out of fashion.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

The only Mac I've ever had is a Big Mac -- but not for years! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Well, mine (the computer, that is) is working very well with the new system, probably even better than before, so I'm happy. And especially relieved that Mac OS 10 doesn't seem to be any relation to Windows 10. :mrgreen: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Apple products have their own downsides. I bought my iphone 4s in 2011. The latest update that iphone 4s could support was iOS 9 introduced in early 2015, if I am not mistaken. After that, my iphone could no longer be updated. If I were to update my iphone 4s to iOS 9.1, it could have made my iphone to stop functioning properly.

Because of this inability to update, I could still use the basic functions like call, message and some of the downloaded games but most of the downloaded items have become obsolete because they could no longer be updated. This is the subtle way "told" by Apple that I need to get the new and latest iphone in the market in order to get the new updates!

Apple is one brand that keep introducing new update every so often! Unlike phones with Android.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

As much as I recommend progress, I also wish that sustainability of ressources and investments of customers would be satisfied as well. The introduction of new standards and the vulnerabilty of those to abuse by malevolent members of the human society that makes well-running machines of a previous generation obsolete because they're no longer supported is most annoying.
Many people know that javascript is an open door for malware, but most sites state that without javascript their site doesn't function. I know their reason behind it, they want to collect data, and they don't care much about the security of their customers as long as they get what they want.
If your system is already endangered just by browsing a web page without actually clicking anything, I can't help getting the feeling that something turned terribly wrong. Why isn't it impossible to introduce standards that allows you to browse the web without the permanent danger of getting your system hijacked? It's absolutely absurd if the ministry for security offers a "secure" browser which has to run in a virtual machine run by Virtual box (software to create virtual machines), Virtual box has to be a defined version so you can't use newer versions for other purposes, and you can't run different versions of Virtual Box on your system.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

The key is thay they do not want their old products to sustain the period much longer than needed. Their R&D will continually create new products. In order to have potential buyers, their old products should become obsolete so that the buyers will replace the obsolete products with the new ones. This hidden marketing strategy is to ensure that their new products are popular and guarantee to have great sales. At the end of the day, they will do anything to boost the sales of new products that will lead to profit enhancement.

The targetted buyers:

1) People who love gadgets who will buy new product just for the fun of it and to satisfy their curiosity of what is the advanced new technology that new product can offer.

2) People who old product has become obsolete(software etc) so that they will seek for the new products with the latest software/technology.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

We have one of the rare old black macs, but after many years it's system sort of just stopped working well. :( It may well become a collectors item one day, black macs were only manufactured for a short period of time.
We now have two Airs, and one is a few years old but has been working very well so far, even after upgrades. I have El Capitan, and don't wanna upgrade it to Sierra, like ever, cause, well, I love this one!
You can call me Sunskriti!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

My Air is almost 4 years old (it was a year old when I bought it) and it's still working as well as the day I got it, especially with the new upgrade. I skipped El Capitan, though, so I can't compare it with Sierra! I was happy with the previous system I had (Mountain Lion), but this has some new features and otherwise works just as well.

I would be a lot more annoyed if I had to replace the entire computer every few years instead of it being upgradable (especially considering how much it cost, even second hand). As Wolfgang says, technology companies are brilliant at making their products become obsolete very quickly so that people will have to buy the new ones. :evil: It's not good for the environment, with all the electronic waste, and not good for customers' bank balances either (only for the companies'). :roll:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Since I installed Windows 10 and wanted to use Office XP Microsoft always notified me that it wasn't able to install SP3 but will try again. And it tried and tried and tried... and failed. Trying to download the SP3 manually and installing it aslo failed - for whatever reasons. I assumed for some time that it was due to the 64bit-version of Windows I was using.
Some time later I realised, on my Laptop things run just fine, and I had saved the SP3-update file there as well. So I copied it on my PC, and the installation ran without a problem.
The same happens with some more updates after installing SP3 - MS notifies me that they're available, but doesn't want to give them to me :evil:
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

I just spent the last three hours to create a video-DVD-menu of some video-files I had subtitled. I had tried the files before I doctored them, and that worked well. After doing all the subtitles the software said that the process was fine although it wasn't - it didn't write any data. I made an update of the software, and now it complained that there wasn't enough space available, although the drive it should have written the files had more than 100GB free. I started to suspect that it was the drive on which XP was installed, although it still had 5 GB free.
So I installed the software on a Windows 7 system of a virtual machine, and now it produced the necessary files, but the aspect ratio didn't work. I suppose I have to try tomorrow again...
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

It could be interesting to monitor our blood-pressure while we tackle computer problems.... :shock:

'Aurélien Arkadiusz'
Domino

Post by Domino »

No need. We know it'll go through the roof! :D

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member