Our Travels

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
auscatherine

Our Travels

Post by auscatherine »

Thought this topic deserved its own thread. I have just been reviewing my frequent flyer points (which I also earn through spending on my credit care) due to changes to my banking arrangements and have realised that I almost have enough for two tickets to New Zealand (which we could supplement with two cheap tickets for the kids)! I have never been to New Zealand but have been feeling more and more drawn to going there. I have this image of it being a kind of magical place (maybe this is because of the Lord of the Rings and Margaret Mahy association :lol: ) and a bit like somewhere existing in a parrallel universe to Australia. Not sure which city to fly into yet. I know Qantas (the airline I have my points with) flies into Auckland but not sure where else.

I am never happier than when I am planning a trip away. Anyone else have any travel plans or stories to share?
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Re: travels - planned or recently returned from

Post by hope189 »

We are going to visit our relatives weekend after next. Not exactly the most exiting holiday. But still, better that sitting at home with nothing to do.
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Are they far from you, Hope? Which part of India are you in? Have a good trip!
hope189

Post by hope189 »

Thanks auscatherine. These relatives are far from me. But I don't mind the journey as I love travelling. In fact my mum has promised me a visit to a big bookstore. Hurrah!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I'm going to Paris for two days in May which should be nice as I love Paris. I'm also planning a typically Famous Five-ish walking/rambling holiday in the Dorset/Devon region later this year. BTW, to all the train buffs here, I read recently that the Wareham to Swanage line has reopened. Is this the Swanage steam train that has extended the line or is the regular services from London etc which now go all the way down to Swanage?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote: I read recently that the Wareham to Swanage line has reopened. Is this the Swanage steam train that has extended the line or is the regular services from London etc which now go all the way down to Swanage?
More HERE.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for posting the link, Nigel. I know someone who will be very happy to see that :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

You're more than welcome, Julie! :D
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Excellent. Thanks for the link Nigel. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
hope189

Post by hope189 »

Lucky you, Lucky star. I've always wanted to go to Paris. Have you been there before?
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Yes Hope I have been a couple of times and it is a really beautiful city. I am looking forward to it immensely. However I shall have to do some brushing up on my few words of French. :?

Society Member
hope189

Post by hope189 »

Bon voyage, Lucky star!!!!!!!!!!!
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Chick and I will be spending a week in Dorset in July and so Nigel's link is especially interesting. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

A weekend in Paris sounds so exotic to me. have a great time!
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

auscatherine - I always hear great things about New Zealand from people who have been, so I'm sure your future trip will be very exciting!! I've not been myself, but my dad used to commute their for work and said it was a great place. He worked in Wellington, but often visited Auckland. I think he also really liked Christchurch.
Lucky Star wrote:I'm also planning a typically Famous Five-ish walking/rambling holiday in the Dorset/Devon region later this year.
That sounds perfectly lovely Lucky Star!

I have recently returned from a two week holiday in Walt Disney World, which was sooooo magical!! It really was a dream come true! One of those holidays you dream of, but never really believe will happen. I went just before Christmas, and was there long enough to go on every ride (except the Tower of Terror - I was too chicken for that one) and meet all my favourite characters. It was heaven!! My favourite things were having breakfast with Cinderella in her Castle, riding the merry-go-round with Goofy and watching the parades. It was all so good though - I couldn't stop smiling!:)
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man