Last Song You Listened To

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Last Song You Listened To

Post by Courtenay »

I've always liked that song, thanks, Pete. Wouldn't mind a travelling piano like that either. :mrgreen: (But does she have a licence to drive it??)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Sadly, it seems Vanessa was not driving the vehicle herself:

'It was really fun. It was two days [of filming]. I was on a flatbed truck that they put the piano on, and they just had a little seatbelt on me, under my skirt. I really don't know what was going on with those red sweatbands—that was the director's choice. He really liked the idea of me wearing red sweatbands on my wrist. When the marching band was behind me and the horses were behind me, I was like, "This is so amazing. This video is awesome." They may not like me, the song, or piano but that video...I love the video....
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I'm quite amazed to hear the piano really was moving (even if it wasn't self-propelled :wink: ) — I have to admit I assumed they filmed her playing it stationary and just edited in various moving backgrounds behind her! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Most interesting, Pete. Thanks for the information. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

The BBC Proms on BBC4 last night featured a fabulous East-West 'fusion' of the music of Ravi Shanker (the sitar was played by his lovely daughter) and Philip Glass, a musical treat on i-player!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Here are the Rolling Stones at their best with You Better Move On from 1963:

https://youtu.be/AKdfkPhNTzY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I enjoyed that Stones track, Eddie, which I hadn't seen previously. Thanks for posting. :D
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

You're welcome, John. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Sandra Barry and the Boys - Really Gonna Shake

https://www.dropshots.com/Domino43/date ... 3/21:44:55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sandra Barry was born Sandra Alfred and in 1954 played a young schoolgirl in the film, "Belles of St. Trinian’s". She appeared in Dave King's television series in 1957 and also on radio in "Educating Archie" with ventriloquist Peter Brough and his famous dummy, Archie Andrews. In that year she recorded her first disc, "Six Day Rock", which flopped. in 1964, as Sandra Barry and backed by The Boys, she recorded this number, which wasn't a hit.
Decca dropped them and Sandra launched herself as a solo artist, backed for live appearances by The Jet Blacks (which included John Paul Jones who would later be bassist with Led Zeppelin). The Boys changed their name to The Action and gained a cult following amongst the Mods.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Billy Fury, I'm Lost Without You:

https://youtu.be/h-wz2FHcq6g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was a UK number 16 hit for Billy in 1965.

I've just heard that Marc Almond has recorded a cover version for his forthcoming album.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Arabella Steinbacher & Akiko Suwanai - J. S. Bach : Concerto for Two Violins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leTVfMb2uME" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two stunning violin virtuosi, one German, one Japanese, performing Bach's double violin concerto on two 300 years old Stradivarius at the auditorium of Musee du Louvre in Paris, playfully injecting new life into one of the most beautiful and timeless Baroque masterpieces.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Carol Kaye - Most Heard But Least Known

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tufJsPSI8tQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

pete9012S wrote:Arabella Steinbacher & Akiko Suwanai - J. S. Bach : Concerto for Two Violins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leTVfMb2uME" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two stunning violin virtuosi, one German, one Japanese, performing Bach's double violin concerto on two 300 years old Stradivarius at the auditorium of Musee du Louvre in Paris, playfully injecting new life into one of the most beautiful and timeless Baroque masterpieces.
Absolutely beautiful, thanks, Pete. As far as I'm concerned, the second movement of this is one of the most exquisite pieces ever written for strings (or any other instrument, really).

And now for something completely different... in a quiz I just encountered in the newspaper, this question had me stumped: "Jenny Boyd, younger sister of Pattie Boyd, inspired which 1968 song by Donovan?" Turned out — I should have known — to be this...

(Why don't they write songs like that any more?? :mrgreen: )
Society Member

Domino

Post by Domino »

Benny Goodman - There's a Small Hotel

https://www.dropshots.com/Domino43/date ... 1/21:02:59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Helen Ward first joined Benny Goodman's Orchestra in 1934. She was his most popular vocalist, singing on five of his US chart-toppers. He became engaged to her in the summer of 1936 (though this was not made public at the time), but after a few months backed out saying he wasn't ready for marriage and wanted to concentrate on his career. Helen left the band in December 1936. She went on to sing with Teddy Wilson, Hal McIntyre and Harry James. She died in 1998, aged 85.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

A great track, Dave. I've been a Benny Goodman fan since the late 1950s when I went to the pictures to see The Benny Goodman Story, starring Steve Allen in the title role.

Society Member