Last Song You Listened To

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Domino

Re: Last Song You Listened To

Post by Domino »

Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra - They're Either Too Young or Too Old

http://www.dropshots.com/Domino43/date/ ... 7/19:00:47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When vocalist Helen O'Connell left Jimmy's Orchestra in 1943. she was replaced by Kitty Kallen, who had previously sung with Jack Teagarden and who would go on to sing with Harry James and then Artie Shaw. In the 1950s she commenced a solo career and in 1954 had a No: 1 in both the US and UK with "Little Things Mean a Lot".

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Where Have You Been All My Life by the great Gene Vincent from 1963:

https://youtu.be/6NoEgKggpbo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

metal musicians write a country song in 24 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6YhlN9JmvA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This song made me smile. :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Duke Ellington and his Orchestra - Five o'Clock Whistle

https://www.dropshots.com/Domino43/date ... 8/23:19:51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ivie Anderson was Duke's longest serving vocalist from 1932 to 1942. She had started out as a dancer in the musical revue "Shuffle Along" in 1922. After a spell in Cuba in 1924, she danced at The Cotton Club in New York City. She sang with the orchestras of Anson Weeks and Earl Hines before joining the Duke. She suffered badly from asthma and this forced her retirement in 1946, thereafter opening a restaurant in Los Angeles. She died in 1949, aged 44.

Dave

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

It Hurts Me by Elvis Presley. It was co-authored by a lady named Joy Byers who wrote many songs for Elvis, particularly for his movies. Sadly she died this weekend aged 82.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2DZ32pB9Ro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

A great performance of a great song by Elvis, John. RIP Joy Byers.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Just listened to an excellent recording of Gustav Holst's The Planets — a very famous orchestral suite, but for some reason I don't think I'd ever heard it all the way through, just most of the individual movements. Holst was very interested in astrology, and each movement of this suite is based on the supposed characteristics or powers of each planet.

Even almost a century after its premiere (in 1918), this music still sounds very modern and has probably inspired plenty of film scores — and I'm sure just about everyone will recognise the theme from Jupiter (fourth movement), which was recycled as the tune for the Remembrance Day hymn I Vow to Thee, My Country. :)
Last edited by Courtenay on 22 May 2017, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Domino

Post by Domino »

The funny thing is that Holst regarded his Planets suite as worthless.

People of my age will always associate Mars as the theme to the first two Quatermass TV serials.

Dave

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I've just been reading more about it from Wikipedia and how the fade-out effect at the end of Neptune, the last movement (achieved originally by having the women's chorus stand in an adjoining room and the door closed very slowly and silently at the end), was very unusual for its time — before recorded music with a volume control was commonplace — and audiences were quite entranced by it.

Once Pluto was discovered in 1930 and designated as the ninth planet, it seems Holst had requests to write a new final movement for The Planets, but he refused — largely because, as you said, Dave, he thought the work was far more popular than it deserved to be and it had eclipsed (pardon the pun :P ) all his other compositions.

There were a couple of efforts in later years (Leonard Bernstein improvising in 1972 and Colin Matthews commissioned in 2000) to provide a movement for Pluto as a new ending, but then in 2006, Pluto itself was officially demoted from "true" planetary status, so all that was moot in the end. I think just as well, as Holst's Neptune is a striking, quietly mysterious ending that doesn't need anything else tacked onto it.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Domino wrote: People of my age will always associate Mars as the theme to the first two Quatermass TV serials.

Dave
Being an oldie, I certainly do. :wink:

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I don't! :lol: Had to look it up, I must admit... I don't think they ever showed it in Australia, or otherwise I'm sure my dad would be a fan. (Gosh, the first series was screened three years before we even had television in Australia. :shock: )
Society Member

Domino

Post by Domino »

That's right, Courtenay. And since everything was performed live in those days, there were no recordings, other than what they called telefilm, which was very expensive and poor quality. Only the first two episodes of The Quatermass Experiment exist in this form. An attempt was made more recently to do a new version of it (on the cheap), but it was attrocious; not a patch on the original. What made the original so briliant was the writing of Nigel Kneale and the ground-breaking directing of the producer, Austrian-born Rudolph Cartier.

Dave

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Here's are two tracks from Chuck Berry's final album, simply entitled Chuck, which is due for release on 16th June. The first is Lady B. Goode and the second is Big Boys:

https://youtu.be/o5udGaUmC14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Zoh-apWRE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great stuff!

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Lonnie Donegan..Battle of New Orleans. I can remember my Dad playing Lonnie's records at every opportunity. He met the great man on a few occasions & even had the privilege of singing on stage with him (many, many years ago!).This Lonnie song was always my fav as a kid...& still is!! :D

https://youtu.be/ojqS7nWWyXw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Tavares - Don't take away the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gi4tOrKphw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone who remembers Disco still around??!! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member