Last Song You Listened To

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Last Song You Listened To

Post by Eddie Muir »

I've just been listening to Elvis Presley singing Hard Headed Woman:

https://youtu.be/xnms1hWOTus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This great rock 'n' roll recording was a UK number two hit in the summer of 1958 and I lost track of how many sixpences I spent playing it on the jukeboxes during my school holidays that year. I was 14 years old. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Millicent Martin - Get Lost, My Love

http://www.dropshots.com/Domino43/date/ ... 1/17:50:06" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She was born in Romford, Essex in 1934. She appeared on Broadway in "The Boy Friend" (which starred Julie Andrews) in 1954. She thereafter appeared in several stage productions in both New York and London, but she became better known in 1962, when she was chosen to be the resident singer on the famous BBC satire show, "That Was the Week That Was". She also appeared in many of the sketches on that show. This led to her own BBC TV series, "Mainly Millicent", which ran for three seasons. She starred in the films, "Nothing But the Best" and "Alfie". She later starred in the West End musicals, "The Card" with Jim Dale (1975) and "Follies" with Eartha Kitt (1988). She played Gladys Moon in the BBC TV series, "Moon and Son", alongside John Michie (1992).
This song was released as the B side to Millicent's very good vocal version of Ray Brown's "Gravy Waltz".

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Eddie Muir wrote:I've just been listening to Elvis Presley singing Hard Headed Woman:

https://youtu.be/xnms1hWOTus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This great rock 'n' roll recording was a UK number two hit in the summer of 1958 and I lost track of how many sixpences I spent playing it on the jukeboxes during my school holidays that year. I was 14 years old. :D
I spent a small fortune (for me) on feeding the jukeboxes during that summer. There were so many wonderful records by Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis, the Everly Brothers, Chuck Berry to name but a few.

Another great track that used up more than a few sixpences was Ooh! My Soul by the incredible Little Richard. It only managed to dent the hit parade peaking at number 22, but it deserved a much higher chart placing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0zxESS3djI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

A superb rocker from Elvis Eddie. As you say the summer of 1958 was a wonderful rime for music. Hard Headed Woman came from the movie King Creole, arguably Elvis' finest performance on the silver screen. I imagine you saw that a couple of times that year too. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I certainly did see the film King Creole a couple of times in 1958, John. Since then I have watched it numerous times and agree that it is Elvis's finest performance on the silver screen. :D

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Diana Dors - Where Did They Go?

http://www.dropshots.com/Domino43/date/ ... 0/20:43:03" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She was born Diana Fluck in Swindon, Wiltshire in 1931. She was a product of the Rank Charm School. To quote from Quinlan's Directory of Film Stars, "her career had as many curves and swerves as her once hour-glass figure".
Never a great singer, she made a handful of records.
She died in 1984.

Dave

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

London Grammer...Strong. Only discovered this 3-piece band a few weeks ago, & boy! Can't the young lady sing! :D

https://youtu.be/6drfp_3823I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by number 6 on 21 Nov 2018, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

'Hey You Guys' - Freddie "Fingers" Lee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG26_btuIdU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

A superb Del Shannon performance from 1962. Cry Myself to Sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l_1UB2p13o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

A great record by a great singer, John. I saw him live at the Brighton Dome in 1985 and he was superb on stage: not only as a singer, but also as a guitarist. Brilliant! :D

Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

I bet it was indeed an excellent evening Eddie. :D

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

It certainly was, John. On the bill with Del were Bobby Vee, Bo Diddley, Ricky Nelson and Frankie Ford. Wonderful memories! :D

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Jo Shelton - Tread Softly

http://www.dropshots.com/Domino43/date/ ... 6/20:24:49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jo was the younger sister of Anne Shelton. Their birth name was Sibley. She was never as famous as Anne, but made a couple of well-received records in 1959. She enjoyed some success in Canada, making appearances on CBC television.
[She should not be confused with the actress, Joy Shelton, who was no relation.]

Dave

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Just ran across something that's definitely in the now-I've-seen-everything category: four cellists playing Ravel's Bolero... on one cello. :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Very impressive, Courtenay. :D

Society Member