Last Song You Listened To

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Domino

Re: Last Song You Listened To

Post by Domino »

Lenoir wrote: "An instrumental, but not sure who she was."

I guess only Benny Golson, who composed it, can tell you that.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Going through my recording of the 80 I started to listen Uriah Heep, among the songs is "Come away, Melinda" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmbw2RRGGbk
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Domino

Post by Domino »

Léo Marjane - Seule Ce Soir

https://www.dropshots.com/Domino43/date ... 3/22:18:58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She was born Thérèse Maria Léonie Gendebien in Burlogne, France, in 1912. She began singing in the early 1930s, and cut her first records in 1936. In 1941 she recorded this song (composed by Charles Trenet), which was enormously popular in France and was adopted as her signature tune. The title translates as 'Alone Tonight'.
In 1944, when Paris was liberated, she was criticised for singing at venues frequented by German officers and on the Nazi-controlled Radio Paris. She was put on trial for being a collaboratrice, but British undercover agents, who had been working as waiters, spoke up for her, revealing that she had aided the Resistance, and she was acquitted. Public opinion, however, remained hostile, and she fled first to England, then Belgium, in both of which she was largely unknown. She then went to the USA, where she starred in a number of television shows. She returned to Paris in 1949, now billed simply as Marjane. Her comeback was a disaster, with audiences objecting to her acquired American style. She continued recording until 1957, but the perception of her past continued to alienate the public. She died in 2016 at the age of 104.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Morrissey - Spent the Day in Bed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL_-GwbEP4g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

great lyrics!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

Good one, Pete. :D

My son and I went to see Morrissey at the Brighton Dome on 22nd July 1991 and we both enjoyed his performance. The stage was covered in flowers thrown by fans (especially the male fans). A great evening. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

On the previous night, 21st July 1991, we went to the Dome to see Marty Wilde, Joe Brown, Jess Conrad and Craig Douglas. Another great evening, but a very different show from the Morrissey one. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Are you ever at home, Eddie? :D
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Most of the time, John. :wink: It was very unusual to go to two shows on consecutive nights. We were actually given two free tickets for the Morrissey show. I doubt whether we’d have gone otherwise.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I'll be heading up to Liverpool tomorrow morning for a meeting. I'm hoping to spend the afternoon wandering around various places that inspired the Beatles, before the long trip home. :D

One of my fav Beatles songs...Eleanor Rigby. Weird, but ground breaking vid from Yellow Submarine! :D

https://youtu.be/HuS5NuXRb5Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

A brilliant recording and video, Number 6. :D

I hope you enjoy your trip to Liverpool tomorrow. It is a fabulous place. As well as checking out all the places connected with the Beatles, it is also worth wandering across to the Albert Docks where there is a great statue of Billy Fury.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks for the info, Eddie. I shall venture down to the Albert Docks to have a look at the statue. I'm just hoping I've got enough time! :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Didn't have time to get down to Liverpool Docks this afternoon, Eddie, which was a shame. The meeting dragged on for far too long! However, a local at the meeting kindly took us on a quick tour of a few Beatles locations before we headed home. Managed to beat the rain & have a walk along Penny Lane, then on to the birthplaces of both John & Paul. 8)

Here's another Beatles location I also visited....Strawberry Fields! :D

https://youtu.be/0aX9-dhii3o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I’m glad to hear that you managed to see some of the Beatles locations, Number 6.Strawberry Fields Forever is a great track from an amazingly talented group. :D

Society Member
AlexH
Favourite book/series: The Faraway Tree & Famous Five
Favourite character: Saucepan Man

Post by AlexH »

The last song I listened to was called The End, by The Big Moon - which is quite appropriate considering Moon-Face is on the cover of two books I've recently bought. :)
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

Wolfgang wrote:Going through my recording of the 80 I started to listen Uriah Heep, among the songs is "Come away, Melinda" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmbw2RRGGbk
A great version of that poignant song.