Your favourite holiday location.

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Re: Your favourite holiday location.

Post by Darrell71 »

Hmm, I can't quite seem to decide my fave holiday location. But I prefer places that are rainy, cold and cloudy, and though I'd really love to go to Greece, I'm dreading all the sun. :lol:
Tbh I love the Northwest part of USA, but it's home, so not exactly a holiday location. So I'd have to say southern Europe. Ooh, or England! I loved Spain, especially Barcelona, and Andorra. I also loved the Dolomites in Italy, and personally would like to revisit Vienna. But my fave location would be somewhere in the mountains, with loads of fun adventure activities, and a cozy yet thrilling atmosphere. Or a huge lit city would do too. :D
(I have a feeling the exact meaning of lit might be lost on here :oops: )
You can call me Sunskriti!
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Haven't thought of this actually!! Because the whole world is my favourite holiday location! Every city, every town, every mountain, I would love to know. (Okay, that's impossible I know). Well, after having read so many books about adventure, I would say anything that inspires to write is a good holiday location. A place not too touristy though, and preferably surrounded by nature. :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Safely back from Venice, the last of our trio of adventures this summer! I can't recommend a visit enough, it is just beautiful - and we were lucky with the weather. We were on a river boat parked along the waterfront - 7 bridges walk from the Doges Palace :wink: ! To cross the Bridge of Sighs (from the palace to the prison) and to view the Golden Staircase and magnificent paintings has been something I've long wanted to do, another ambition fulfilled!, but there's so much - a gondola ride on the Grand Canal, crossing the Rialto Bridge, St Mark's Cathedral, a stone built shout of joy with its wonderful frontage, viewing glass making on the island of Murano and lace on the island of Burano... Wonderful memories indeed! Now we can totter off to Portmeirion and view the photos and recall the experiences! Nice to be back on the Forums meanwhile!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Good to see you back, Floragord! I'm glad you had a lovely time. I've only ever spent one day in Venice but it was a glorious day of sunshine and grandeur.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Sounds incredible, Floragord! :D What an experience. Good to see you here again.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

I visited Venice in May and man, I can't wait to go back. I find the whole concept of a city of canals very intriguing. But we were wandering around at 2 am and it looked so desolate and lonely. :( And the owner of the apartment we stayed in was telling us of how all the locals have moved to the mainland, and Venice doesn't feel like their city anymore because of all the tourists. And literally, tourists is all you see there. But I would certainly love to go back. Our apartment had a view of a golden tower and we were two minutes walking distance from the Academia Bridge. Truly a magical experience. I'm not even a girly girl but the Murano jewelry had me in a blissful dreamy reverie for hours. :lol:
floragord

Post by floragord »

Many thanks, Anita and Courtenay, for your nice thoughts! We are doubly glad of our Venice experience as the news today mentioned people who live there are getting very fed up with endless tourists, and no doubt numbers will be limited if the city takes action. There are vast numbers of visitors, on our gondola trip we saw a human traffic jam on the Rialto bridge. Luckily on our tour of the Doge's Palace there were very few people about. I'd always wanted to see the Golden Staircase and the Bridge of Sighs, so was pleased we were fairly well on our own for the experience - the guide mentioned there can be a half hour wait to enter the vast rooms. We were on a French boat Sunskriti, so the food and wine were exceptionelle and with a party on every night we just did one Venice by night tour, your 2am wander sounded great - we've got the old film DON'T LOOK NOW, a sinister film set in Venice, in to enjoy with a curry and evening in instead! Glad you enjoyed the Murano experience, we were fascinated to see the Master glassmaker create a beautiful little horse and a vase in minutes, he made it look so easy!
Anyway, here we are home again, stopped in Hay on Wye for a couple of days to get some books in for the colder days ahead and found the glowing autumn colours getting better and better as we headed west - nice to have the fire on in the evenings too, there's nothing like the scent of woodsmoke and books!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Oooh - I love Don't Look Now. I've watched the film several times and also read the short story by Daphne du Maurier. Some elements of the recent BBC drama The Child in Time reminded me of Don't Look Now.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I’ve also watched Don’t Look Now several times, Anita and read the short story by Daphne du Maurier - both extremely atmospheric and enjoyable. I know what you mean about the recent dramatisation of Ian McEwan’s The Child in Time reminding you of Don’t Look Now.

Chick and I visited Venice during our Lake Garda holiday a few years ago and we loved it. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

floragord wrote: We were on a French boat Sunskriti, so the food and wine were exceptionelle and with a party on every night we just did one Venice by night tour, your 2am wander sounded great - we've got the old film DON'T LOOK NOW, a sinister film set in Venice, in to enjoy with a curry and evening in instead!
We arrived from Vienna (long drive :( ) at around 11 pm, and had dinner soon after. We thought we might get a feel for the city, so we set out, and ended up wandering till 2 am! :lol: But it was indeed very sinister, almost felt really alone at some moments, to the point that if something should've happened to us no one would ever know. Clearly, that is quite opposite to the crowded feel you get in the daytime, but at night, it is absolutely deserted, and the inky black waters of the canal, some of the narrow, tiny, creaking bridges, the abandoned, desolated buildings with the soaking foundations just created a very eerie atmosphere, and I loved it coz I'm an adventurous kind of person, but my cousin and the two moms of the group didn't exactly enjoy it much. :wink: Would've been scared to death if I was alone, though, a truly sinister place at night.
AlexH
Favourite book/series: The Faraway Tree & Famous Five
Favourite character: Saucepan Man

Post by AlexH »

My favourite country is Iceland. I spent 2ish incredible weeks there about 10 years ago. I've wanted to return ever since. My dream is to hire a small camper van and travel around the island.

I also love Georgia (the country) and Scotland, particularly the Hebrides - which are absolutely beautiful. I've visited 20 of the islands (plus Hirta (St Kilda) and Arran), and I was amazed how most of them have their own unique look. I love castles and waterfalls, and often travel to see both.

You can probably guess I like outdoor places, and wilderness. Maybe Enid Blyton assisted my adventurous spirit.

Of places I haven't visited - Machupicchu14's avatar and username gives a big clue. I'd love to travel around Latin America. Kamchatka is another place. I love to travel - name any of the 200ish countries, and I'd probably have at least one reason to visit!
floragord

Post by floragord »

We decided on a R&R break in Tuscany - but the weather was so glorious and the scenery so magical naturally we hired a car and buzzed around the hill villages rather than queue in the sun to do the sights in Florence or Sienna! The medieval hamlet of Cutiegliana alone would be worth the journey, with its sparkling river and mountain views. Now its back to unpack, wash and stock up the larder!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Sounds incredible, Floragord! :D Do you have any photos to share?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
floragord

Post by floragord »

Thanks, Courtenay!, it was stunning up in the sunny hill villages, with masses of spring flowers in full bloom and the mountains all round! Photos galore, which I've put on Facebook easily, would love to share them here but my last efforts to place photos on the Forum were a dismal failure :oops:, if there's any simple solution I'd love to know more!
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

I like Porthcawl in South Wales. Nothing really special about it. It just feels right somehow. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.