What makes you annoyed?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Re: What makes you annoyed?

Post by IceMaiden »

I'm afraid lots of things make me annoyed, far too many to list here, but here's one that's fresh in my mind:

Radio 2's 3pm Non Stop Oldies section featuring songs not even ten years old :x . This really annoys me, mainly because after having listened to the modern rubbish before then, that half hour slot is a blissful change for decent songs for a little while, but if someone's requested 'oldies' are only from around 4 years back, that doesn't happen :( . Personally, I think there should be a limit of 20 years at least for a song to be applicable for this section, otherwise what's the point of it?
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

People who ask if I've not had my baby yet - especially if they're standing right in front of me.

Yes, I had him some time last week but I've left him in the flat and waddled out with a watermelon up my tshirt for the fun of it :roll:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

:lol: :lol:

On a similar note, when I was at my six week post natal check up (minus baby), someone asked me when I was due. :cry:
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Ouch. It's amazing how many people fail to appreciate that you don't just snap back to a flat stomach immediately! When I was in overnight Ewan saw some people leaving from the labour suite on the floor below and wondered why a pregnant woman was going home in her pyjamas from there. I had to point out she had just given birth...
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh dear, that reminds me of the time years ago (I wasn't there but heard it from relatives) when my cousin had just given birth — her much younger half-brother came to see her and the baby, took one look at the new mum and immediately declared "Gee, you're still just as big!!" :shock: :P

Anyway, hope it all goes well for you and your baby when the time comes, Fiona — I think everyone will understand if you don't look in on the forums for a while! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

For the time being it's frustrating getting parcels from Great Britain. I ordered 2 books in one go by the same seller, according to it they were sent the same day and they arrived two or three weeks apart. Another time a book arrived six weeks after ordering it, four weeks later then anticipated.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It will be even worse after Brexit, lol! :-D

The few things I've bought from Germany always arrive very speedily. However, I'm seriously thinking that after Brexit, customs charges will be added, which won't make it such a good deal. Not wanting this to be an argument about Brexit - but I do wonder how it will affect customs charges for certain products. :-(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

My employer requires us to have safety glasses. On 20th November I had the eye test. The next day The text said that it was being shipped. I guess that I should ask when I can collect them...
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It annoys me when a small uncredited shaped booklet which would probably normally sell for between £10 and £20 is put onto eBay at £216.30. This is entirely down to me as there is no way that these people would have known that this booklet was by Enid Blyton unless they had got the information from me. My research took a huge amount of time over many years and cost me a considerable amount of money. Now I have to sit back and watch others make huge sums of money from it! :evil:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLL-THE-PAR ... 0005.m1851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Stella and Rose...say no more!! :evil:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I didn't even know that the booklet is existed!
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I saw that one earlier today and was stunned at the price, then saw who was charging it... :roll: It's funny, because Stella & Rose do seem to sell a lot of books at quite "normal" prices as well. But as soon as they hit on something that could be considered rare and collectable, their prices shoot up to three or even four figures. Obviously there are people who are willing to pay that much, or they wouldn't do it, but it just encourages more and more sellers to do the same. And I don't blame you for being annoyed, Tony! :(

Here's the whole book in the Cave for those of us who don't have a spare £216.30 lying around but would like to read it nevertheless... http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... 8No.952%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Courtenay on 19 Feb 2018, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret

Post by sixret »

I could not justify myself to buy it at that price when the texts are minimal! And I have set a rule not to buy books anymore in 2018.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks for the link Courtenay.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

pete9012S wrote:Thanks for the link Courtenay.
Love it! :lol: