What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Courtenay wrote:It actually shows right way up at both the links for me.
that's because you're upside down where you are! :lol:
:roll: :P :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Chrissie777 wrote:
floragord wrote:Still, as independent bookshops are making a come-back perhaps the tide will turn.
Floragord, I wish the independent books stores would make a comeback here in the US as well! :(
Unless we drive all the way up to Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH, there's no large independent book store near where we live.
Barnes & Noble killed most of the smaller independent book stores. :evil:
I hope they will, Chrissie, it sounds a longish drive to the one you mention. We've just "discovered" a most attractive little bookshop in wonderful St David's (Britain's smallest city), we only found it taking a shortcut up the hill from the Cathedral!, looking forward to darkening their door for a browse and enjoying a coffee by the roaring log fire at the Bishop's eaterie next door this rainy week! What a delightful picture of your little one, Fiona, happy 5 months celebration!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Fiona1986 wrote:I'll be restrained and only share one, Sixret. Otherwise I'll get my hand slapped for grinding the forums to a halt with the three million (approx) photos I have of him...

https://imgur.com/a/U9Kqh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, can't get the image to post as I just get an error "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." Tinypic kept uploading it sideways despite it being the right way around on my laptop, Photobucket I assume are still refusing to show images unless you've paid? So I give up, it never used to be so hard to share a flipping photo!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Edit: and even though it WAS the right way up on Tinypic, the link takes you to it sideways. So you'll just have to turn your computer on its side.

Edit edit: https://imgur.com/a/a94EY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this one might work. I don't know. I'm tired. I'm going to bed.

Thank you, Fiona. Brodie is such a cutie pie. :D

I can see Brer Rabbit(?) but no Noddy. It’s just the right time for Brodie to have Noddy as a friend before he starts to read Enid Blyton. :wink:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Awhhh, Brodie is so cute!! ❤ :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

That's Peter Rabbit, Sixret. From the books by Beatrix Potter. I haven't seen any nice Noddy things for him yet (apart from the outfit he outgrew ages ago). Most Noddy stuff is based on the latest CGI TV series so it looks awful.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

You might have a look on eBay from time to time, Fiona — they often have more "classic" style Noddy items (like from the 1990s TV version, when he still looked reasonably like Noddy) at a reasonable price. Anyway, I would imagine you'll be starting Brodie on the books as soon as he's old enough to pay attention. I'm pretty sure my first-ever Enid Blyton book (read to me regularly by Mum) was Learn to Go Shopping with Noddy. :wink:

Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

talking of first Noddy books, the first Noddy book I remember my mom reading me was this one -

It had belonged to my older cousin, and was well-read - but I loved it. :-)

I've managed to pick up quite a lot of Noddy stuff over the years - all traditional looking Noddy stuff - hate the new guy with the bobble hat and trainers!!!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

floragord wrote: Still, as independent bookshops are making a come-back perhaps the tide will turn...
Speaking of popular come-backs I was interested to hear milk bottle deliveries are on the up, haven't seen a milk float in years but remember the clink as the milkman put the bottles down by the kitchen door long years ago!, we had gold top and put the cream on our porridge, happy days are here again!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm certainly for anything that cuts down on plastic bottles. I think we should go back 100% to glass bottles for milk and for pop, cordial, etc.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

And get money for returning the empties, too. 8) I remember my dad telling me he knew a guy at university years ago (when we still had returnable bottles in Australia) who went around every day collecting all his friends' empty bottles, fishing them out of bins and so on. I think everyone thought he was a bit batty, but by the time he'd finished his degree he'd made enough money from returning bottles to afford a trip overseas!!
Society Member

Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Actually we got for most bottles money if we return them here in Germany, both plastic and glass. Maybe it's just me but I think I have had less punctures on my bike since plastic bottles replaced glass bottles. It's a pity though they don't reuse plastic bottles but shred them.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

apparently its because most plastic bottles are 'single use' as the plastic quickly deteriorates (becomes 'rough) and can become prone to bacteria etc, which can cause cancers etc - so people are advised not to reuse them. Many people don't know that plastic bottles shouldn't be reused.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Wolfgang wrote:Actually we got for most bottles money if we return them here in Germany, both plastic and glass. Maybe it's just me but I think I have had less punctures on my bike since plastic bottles replaced glass bottles. It's a pity though they don't reuse plastic bottles but shred them.
:evil: :evil: :twisted:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:apparently its because most plastic bottles are 'single use' as the plastic quickly deteriorates (becomes 'rough) and can become prone to bacteria etc, which can cause cancers etc - so people are advised not to reuse them. Many people don't know that plastic bottles shouldn't be reused.
We buy bottled water (the 500 ml bottles) every now and then in order to reuse the bottles to carry tap water, as they can be used numerous times without the plastic disintegrating. We started buying them after going through a number of plastic beakers that leaked or were too heavy or cumbersome. Only bottles of water with screw caps will do, and only sturdily-made ones like Evian or Still Scottish Mountain Water by Sainsbury's (I'm sure other sturdy brands are available but they're the ones we usually get). Some others are too flimsy and become crumpled or dented after just a few uses. I've got a bottle on the go which I've already been using for at least six weeks and it looks as good as new. The expiry date (i.e. the date when the plastic starts to disintegrate) is November 2019, though I think the bottle will become battered long before then!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

yes - I should have said, its only some types of plastic bottle. Also, those plastic measuring jugs that get white and rough, etc. But there's no real publicity about this. In my view, non-reusable plastics should be banned altogether. :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member