The Halloween Horror Strikes Again

Important forum announcements.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: The Halloween Horror Strikes Again

Post by Daisy »

I have been having problems all morning with being unable to see new posts. I have found that I can post a comment, submit it,then next time I look it isn't there, but by reversing the "subscribe to" feature it then appears. It isn't consistent though.... just maddening!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

There's all sorts of weird things - when there is a yellow circle to indicate new posts I can view the post if I click the tiny 'latest post' icon next to the name of the person who posted most recently, but if I click the actual section title, ie The Books, Games, etc, then there are apparently no new posts and none of the icons are yellow.

Then when I go back to the main forum homepage, the icons are all yellow again. :roll:

My Who Is Online list is showing a list of people who were online at 11.49am today, even though it's now 13.50pm.

The Other Authors section on the homepage is telling me I have an unread post (the icon is yellow) and is listing deepeabea as the last person to post there at 13.18 today, and yet when I click the section and actually go into the Other Authors section, there is a yellow 'unread' icon on the What Other Author Are You Reading but it is showing the last post to be from Chrissie at 00.22 today, no sign of deepeabea's name there at all.

As I write this, if I scroll down to see the last few posts before this one, Julie's post at 11.31 is the most recent one, no sign of any since that, ie no sign of Daisy's post, Eddie's, Fiona's, John's etc.

Doing my head in, as Daisy said it's not consistent, one minute something is there, and then the next minute it's gone and the last post is from hours ago or yesterday, and the times are all over the place as well, one minute it's loading up to date and then the time is way off and showing users that were online hours before.

I'm logged in constantly same as Tony is.

Infuriating.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I've tried the logging out and logging in too, no difference but my experience sounds similar to Carlotta's (who's post is not visible to quote from) Oh happy days!

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Further to my post above, when I came to submit it, I got the warning that another post had been made and did I wish to continue. I submitted - and then found the post I had been warned about was Carlotta's which I had already read before making mine. Hey-ho - needed to alter my "Subscribe" status to get the latest posts... yet again!

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've contacted Tony, and he knows about the problems. This is on page 6, and yet sometimes it shows only page 5 and no page 6, so something is a foot somewhere!!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

I've noticed similar things on other sites on this server too. I have to assume this is another Hostgator problem because lots of things that were working before are not working correctly now. In most cases, if you refresh the page, your changes show. The browser is showing the previous copy of the page, and you have to force a refresh/reload to show the new version. This is NOT user friendly behavior! I would blame the browser, but it happens on others too. I even checked on my phone, same problem. So it has to be Hostgator. Again. I'll check in with them.....
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

I just spoke with Hostgator on the phone. I showed them a simple but consistent problem on another site, so he knows something is wrong and agrees its at server level across the board. This is probably related to the major issues they've had since the beginning of November (but NOT related to the Chinese spammer).

For now, whenever you see something missing or wrong, press refresh and see if that helps. I'm finding it "solves" most problems. Hostgator is looking into the problem right now and HOPEFULLY will fix it soon, once they've figured out what's causing it.

EDIT: And by the way, both these last two posts showed straight away, so the problem seems to be a little inconsistent or perhaps varying depending on location, time, etc.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I found I was having the problems on one computer (not my usual one) but not on another (my own one), which makes it all the more baffling to me!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I am glad that I have no problem at all. But it has been my habit of constantly refreshing the page to see the new posts.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I would think you should get a few months free hosting, Keith, given all these problems we've been having!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm also having problems. The last post I can see on an index was last night by Walter about most overrated book. I've just posted something on the Green Hedges thread, but although my post is there, the index board isn't showing anything since yesterday afternoon.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

When I typed this post, it was only showing 5 pages of comments, so I added mine. When I went back in to read it, I discovered it was on page 6, after the response by Keith, which wasn't showing up when I initially went in. I shall have to double check everything before I post anything else.
Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Okay, all fixed (apparently). For the techhy types:

"This was due to a server misconfiguration of caching headers in Nginx, at this we have reverted this configuration and your website should be working as expected. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you."

I found that I needed to refresh a couple of things to "un-stick" it, but now everything appears to be good.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great news, Keith. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

If I do have to refresh the page in case of any future problems, I'm afraid I haven't got a clue what to press, as nothing says refresh the page for me! :|

Also, if I press to go to the Board Index, it actually logs me out!!!! It's just done it again, and I have to press the 'go back' button to get back onto the page that has me logged in!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member