The Halloween Horror Strikes Again

Important forum announcements.
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Re: The Halloween Horror Strikes Again

Post by walter raleigh »

Keith Robinson wrote:Okay, all fixed (apparently). For the techhy types:

"This was due to a server misconfiguration of caching headers in Nginx, at this we have reverted this configuration and your website should be working as expected. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you."

I found that I needed to refresh a couple of things to "un-stick" it, but now everything appears to be good.
Not quite Keith! I've just attempted to buy a couple of things from the online shop, and while I'm able to purchase everything that's available to the general public (most back issues of the Journal, the Barbara Stoney biography etc.) anything that's available to Society Members only, I can't seem to buy. I log in to the members section using the pasword from the current Journal but when I go back to the Online Shop page it's still telling me I need to log in to buy the exclusive stuff. This might be an unconnected fault to the recent troubles - indeed it might just be me being spectacularly dense - but I don't remember having issues in the summer buying members only items.
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:If I do have to refresh the page in case of any future problems, I'm afraid I haven't got a clue what to press, as nothing says refresh the page for me! :|

8)
Julie, on my computer , the refresh "button" is actually on the screen, near the top. It looks like an arrow in the shape of a (not quite complete) circle left of the bit where it says "www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk......"
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

It depends on which browser you're using, Chrissie - Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome and Safari are the most common ones. A refresh button usually looks like a sort of circular arrow. If you hover the pointer over it, it may come up with a description like "Refresh" or "Reload this page".
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Or if you have a tablet, look for an icon which is represented by three squares. When you press that, there is an option to refresh the page.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

The F5 key at the top of your keyboard will also do the trick. Failing that click on the address in the address bar at the top to highlight the address and then hit the enter key like you would to start a new sentence.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I'm using the refresh key now - f5.. much quicker than how I was managing before.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll use the F5 key, as I can remember that. I have no upload or refresh arrow anywhere that I can see on my lap top. :?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Which browser do you use Julie?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

We use internet explorer, Fiona, provided by Yahoo.

I have used Firefox when we were with AOL. But I'm signed up with BT internet now. :)

Oh and I've been searching and have found a refresh circle, along the top where the site address is, which I think was mentioned too. :)

8)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Fingers crossed - things seem to be acting normally today. :)
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Internet Explorer isn't provided by Yahoo? They're two completely different things. And you're free to use whichever browser you like best no matter what your internet provider or search engine is. IE is pretty much considered as the worst of the main browsers... But I'm sure Nigel will have said all this to you before!

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am also signed up to BT, Julie, but I now use Google Chrome. I did use Firefox but I found it was getting very slow so I changed. I agree with Fiona that I have heard nothing good about Internet Explorer recently, but you certainly aren't compelled to use it with BT.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Yes, Julie, please switch to Firefox or Chrome. If you continue to use IE, then you have no business telling us things don't work properly. :-D

Chrome might be best for you as its address bar and search bar are combined. It's a great browser:

http://www.google.com/chrome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Firefox is just as good, and I prefer it as a web developer type because it has better functions and addons. (Tony, I find it just as fast as Chrome. I think it depends what you have going on with addons, caches, plugins, etc.)
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for the info folks, I will chat with hubby, as all these things are beyond me! As long as my internet works, and I can see the things I need to see I'm quite happy.

I'm a bit of a 'simpleton' when it comes to computers, browsers etc. It all goes in one ear and out the next. That's why I sill have a simple nokia phone, with no internet access etc, as all these new fangled gadgets are alien!!! :roll:

Thanks for the link, Keith, I'll get hubby to check it all out for me. I don't touch anything, as it all goes wrong and blows up!!! :roll:

8)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Julie you sound just like me regarding technology.

Last night I was on Facebook and my daughter sent me a message asking why it showed me as being connected via a mobile, rather than the usual web. I thought I'd wind her up by saying that I'd just got a Smartphone. She promptly messaged me back saying "don't lie to me". I asked her how she knew I wasn't telling the truth, to which I got the answer "because the day you get a smart phone is the day that nobody has smart phones any more". How well she knows me.
:D
Society Member