Teachers World Letters, Jan 1930 - July 1934

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Re: Enid Blyton's Weekly Letters in Teachers World

Post by Kate Mary »

It's easy to forget sometimes that many of the children who listened to Enid's letter every week would have been very poor, Enid knew this when she said 'try to give your mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers some sort of gift even if it is only a hug'. I remember my mother saying that she got an apple, an orange and some sweets or nuts for Christmas but she and her sister were still thrilled and excited to receive them. A very different world then.

Happy Christmas Tony and thank you for letting us read these lovely letters, stories and poems.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita wrote:Thanks very much, Tony, for putting up these letters every week! They're fascinating and teach us a lot about Enid Blyton's time at Old Thatch, even if they give rather a romanticised portrayal.
Yes, I echo that. I don't comment on a weekly basis, so wouldn't want Tony to think I don't read them! I read them every week and love the weekly glimpses into life at Old Thatch. I usually put a link on our Facebook page but I have no idea if anyone reads them or not. It seems to be Facebook culture to 'Like' things, but not necessarily to read them - and certainly not to consider joining the Society!

I love the idea of putting up a Christmas tree in the garden just for the birds!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I must add too that I do read these letters, but have to make them bigger as I can't see the printing it's too small, but I don't really comment, as most do and they only say what I would say anyway. :)

But thanks Tony for putting them up. I can well image the audience of those days eagerly awaiting a letter from their favourite author.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

A great letter from Enid.The Christmas story on the right of the page was wonderful!
Thank you Tony.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I mostly read the letters too but rarely comment nowadays as I don't feel I have anything significant to add. The letter from Bobs is my favourite, he can be very funny, that dog. I believe that this thread, and Rob's fortnightly magazine thread, are important in that they keep us abreast of Enid's thoughts of the time through her letters to us all. Thank you Tony for continuing to publish them.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Kate Mary wrote:It's easy to forget sometimes that many of the children who listened to Enid's letter every week would have been very poor, Enid knew this when she said 'try to give your mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers some sort of gift even if it is only a hug'. I remember my mother saying that she got an apple, an orange and some sweets or nuts for Christmas but she and her sister were still thrilled and excited to receive them. A very different world then.
Yes, very good point.

I love reading these letters too (don't worry, Julie, I also have to enlarge them on the screen!) — thanks, Tony, from me as well.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... perid=1139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enid Blyton hadn't yet celebrated Christmas when she wrote her letter. Lovely to hear of the wrens and other birds keeping warm in the straw of the thatched roof.

'The Old Red Stocking' is a heartwarming story. I wonder how many children followed Enid Blyton's suggestion and wrote about what happened to the stocking next.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, I remember that story from Stories for You, which was one of my favourite Blyton collections when I was little — lovely to read it again. I also especially enjoyed the poem "Under My Roof". :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

A lovely seasonal flavour as ever. I think I would be a bit concerned at a colony of birds nesting in my roof though - even though thatch may be a great nesting place or at least a hidey hole for birds in bad weather. It's a lovely idea, even so.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Bobs not allowed to write his letters in ink since he spilt some over the cat. That dog is brilliant. :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Bob's letters are always a highlight for me - so clever! No wonder they were collected into booklets! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Hurrah! We have the Teachers' World letters again, and there is a new pet at Old Thatch in the first column of 1934. Thank you very much Tony, it's great to have you back again.
I hope you are feeling much better.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hurrah indeed! :D I know Tony is gradually making a slow but steady recovery, though it will take some time before he's back to his usual energetic self. Thanks very much for taking the time to put the letters up, Tony - they make for fascinating reading.

It's poignant to see the mention of Bimbo in the letter for January 3rd, though Enid Blyton reassures readers that Pat isn't too lonely because she has her mischievous kitten, Pitapat, to play with.

I'm pleased that Enid bought a bigger cage for Gillian's canary, though personally I don't like to see caged birds kept as pets at all.

'Poor Mr. Tumpy' is a predictable story for people who've read other Blyton stories in which characters do the same thing!

Moving on to the letter for January 10th, it's a shame that the buried rosebuds were spoilt because the stake that marked their place had pierced the lid of the tin, letting air and water in.

I have the poem 'A Foggy Day' in The Enid Blyton Poetry Book and Enid Blyton's Treasury of Verse. It's very atmospheric and is a favourite of mine. I've read 'Lost in the Fog' before too - a heartwarming tale.

Links to the letters:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... perid=1140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... perid=1141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Hear! Hear! I echo the same sentiment! Nice to have you back, Tony! :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Lovely letters, both of them. Thanks so much, Tony, for putting them up — glad to know you're getting better. :D

Lovely to hear about Gillian's canary, although I also don't like birds kept in cages (and Enid at least makes clear that she doesn't either, but this one wouldn't survive outside). We had a pet canary when I was little too — a bright yellow one who sang beautifully and also loved a piece of apple to peck at, or a slice of cake!

I loved the poems in both letters and of course all Bobs' adventures, especially in the fog. I like his New Year's resolution!! :wink:
Society Member