Teachers World Letters, Jan 1930 - July 1934

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Enid Blyton's Weekly Letters in Teachers World

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:And both Twigs and Pug Pups issued badges that children could wear! I tried putting it into Google to find out what the badges were like, but Mr Google was unhelpful as he seemed to think I was looking for a pug puppy!!
I tried that too and couldn't find out anything about the badges, but there is a short Wiki article on 'Men of the Trees'. The organisation was founded in Kenya by Richard St. Barbe Baker on July 22nd, 1922, and it spread to over 100 countries. Richard St. Barbe Baker did a lot of work on combatting deforestation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_of_the_Trees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Kate Mary wrote:The issue dated 18th December 1929 has a lovely Christmas card drawn by Enid:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... &perid=626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is no end to the wonderful treasures in the Cave.
As you have gone back a further week to that Christmas card, I thought I had better add the letters as well. Not a very good photocopy, but just about readable.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I am so enjoying these letters, thank you. The print quality is fine and quite readable.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Tony. It's amusing reading about the antics of Bobs and Patabang.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

The picture of the well is exactly as I imagined Naomi Barlow's to be in the Ring 'O Bells Mystery. And Bobs letters get better and better. He should have had his own radio show.
Society Member
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

Just read this weeks letter. Interesting to see a plan of the pond at Old Thatch. Does it still exist?
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Here's a link to the letters for this week:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... &perid=659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow - Enid's stream and pond sound amazing. Fancy having two bridges, two dams, a sluice gate and a little island planted with daffodils "leaning over the water to look at themselves"! Sadly most of it has gone now, Kate Mary. Part of the stream bed remains, more or less dried up, but a piece of the garden was sold off and built on (you can see another house over a hedge) and it looks as though the stream originally carried on into that area of the garden.

I like Bobs' comment about being angry with the ice on the pond and trying to eat it, only to find that it disappeared when he got it in his mouth!

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Another great selection of letters this week. Yes Enid's stream and pond sound lovely - how lucky she was to have dams and bridges! She describes them beautifully I loved the caption: ...the old withy tree stands with it's feet in the water... So imaginative and beautifully flowing. Bob's letter also is very imaginative and interesting. Poor thing having fallen in the pond. I bet it was cold!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Here's a link to this week's letters:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... &perid=660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ursula must have felt proud to see her name in print after sending in two stamps for the hospital, though I can't help thinking it's a good job she didn't include her surname or address and therefore couldn't receive a thank you postcard from Enid Blyton. The cost of the postcard and stamp would have wiped out the money raised by the contribution!

I enjoyed reading about the bird table. We had a bird table until a fortnight ago but it blew down in a storm. Not that it ever attracted any birds, because too many cats wander into our garden. We used to put out nuts, seed and fat balls for the birds, but none of the food got eaten and it would eventually go rotten. The table actually became a cat table as it had a little roof over it, and cats liked to curl up beneath the roof and sleep there for hours!

How lovely about the pigeon - and what a nice, natural-looking photo of Enid. Funny story about the cows too!

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Thanks for the link, Anita. Again, I really enjoyed both letters this week - very informative as well as educational. I love to hear about the birds of Enid's garden, which she always seems very enthusiastic about. The ground is certainly not too hard for our birds to find their worms, etc! There has been quite a few little sparrows in our garden recently and the blackbird that nested in our garden tree last year has come back and seems to be preparing another nest in the very same place. We've got a lovely bird table, too, which we've had for years, in fact my grandad made it. We don't get many visitors to it, however, because there are numerous cats around here. There are lots of regular visitors to the birdbath, now though! I am very pleased because I love to see them splashing about and I can see them out of the window where I do my school work.

The two robins that were visitors to Enid's garden sound lovely, too - what lovely names, again, as well - Robbie and Binnie! Interesting about the new little pigeon Enid found.

Poor old Bobs being bothered by the cows! He really sounds just like our little Jack Russell - Dino! So playful and bold yet so cowardish at times!! Looking forward to hearing his next comical story!
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

A lovely letter again this week, it's so nice to hear about the garden and the wildlife.

The little baby pigeon sounds so lovely, bless it, and how nice that Prettyone has looked after it!

The garden sounds so lovely with its many trees and hidey holes and corners for wildlife, what a beautiful place to look out on and go out into in the nice weather!

I hope the robins got married! :)

Bobs made me laugh - I completely sympathise with him feeling scared of the cows!! :D
His letters are always so sweet - exactly as I imagine him to think about things and be puzzled over things that seem normal to us! :D

Lovely photo of Enid in her fur coat, she looks happy!
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks for the link, Anita - after a week has gone by I can never remember how to find them again. :roll:
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Bobs and the cows, that dog is hilarious.
Society Member
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

In case anyone has forgotten:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... &perid=661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if Enid managed to get the mistletoe to grow?

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Thanks for the link, Kate. I wouldn't be surprised if the mistletoe did grow - apparently it is a very effective method the one Enid used. We wanted to try it, but it's getting the berries in the first place, and it is indeed very expensive! Lovely to hear about the water vole, but annoying that it had dug up a lot of daffodil bulbs. It is great though, how Enid is forgiving towards the creature, despite the daffodil situation!

Bob's letter was also as enjoyable as ever - poor old Patapang, though! Nice to hear good old Bobs comforted him, however. Looking forward to next weeks letters!
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member