Site Updates - Teachers World Seasonal Notes

Important forum announcements.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Site Updates - Teachers World Seasonal Notes

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I too thought the seasonal notes for this month very interesting, especially Janus with the two faces looking back over the year and looking at the forthcoming year. Enid mentions snow, but of course all we have at the moment is rain!!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Just read the Seasonal Notes for this month. They are so interesting to read the bits of information that Enid writes, some I never knew and some you think, oh yes I remember that.

Interesting how she writes that February is sometimes referred to as Fill-Dyke, because when the snow melts it fills the dykes with water!!

If Enid were alive now, she'd see how the seasons are changing, the rain obviously now filling the dykes with all this bad weather!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I too, enjoyed the seasonal notes for this month. Interesting how each year has 365 days and six hours, the six hours making an extra day, every leap year. I have never heard February referred to as 'Fill-Dyke'.

So the weather is nice here, today, so according to the piece of information under 'special days' (Candlemas day - today) we still have more winter to come! I wonder if that means snow?

I really enjoyed the February poem, too - lovely description.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Enid Blyton's Seasonal Notes for February 1929 are as interesting and thought-provoking as ever. The opening quotation from Coleridge:

Winter, slumbering in the open air,
Wears on his smiling face a dream of Spring!

conjures up a lovely image and cheers the heart!

Enid writes, "I expect you have often heard February called Fill-Dyke." Er - no, actually! Like Poppy, I don't think I'd ever heard that before but I'm always ready to learn something new from Enid Blyton.

It occurred to me that the comment about Charles Dickens' characters being "so alive that we feel they really must be somewhere in the world" applies to some of Enid Blyton's own creations too. Characters like Jack and Lucy-Ann Trent, Kiki, Fatty, Bets, Snubby, the Longfields, Elizabeth Allen, Jimmy and Lotta, Mr. Pink-Whistle, the Saucepan Man, Mr. Twiddle and many others feel very "real" to me.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Once again, the seasonal notes are very interesting. The mention of February Fill-Dyke brought back memories, my father used this saying as well as March of many weathers for next month.
Walking to work early in the mornings these last couple of weeks, I have noticed the birdsong more pronounced, especially the robins as they start the search for a mate. Enid's observations then are just as relevant today.
Society Member