Birthday

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Birthday

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I first registered on the forums ten years ago today, but it wasn't until New Year's Eve that I plucked up my courage to start my first thread.
As we move into the new year we have currently sold 70 tickets for the Annual Society Day. Our three patrons will all be attending - Gillian Baverstock and Imogen Smallwood, Enid's two daughters and Barbara Stoney her biographer.
It's lovely to think that a number of us were looking forward to an Enid Blyton Day back then - but sad to reflect that Barbara Stoney and Gillian Baverstock are no longer with us. And of course we've also lost people like Robert Tyndall, Val Biro and Mary Cadogan more recently.

On a brighter note, let's hope many forumites and other Blytonians are able to get together this year at the Enid Blyton Exhibition when it comes to Canterbury and Plymouth.

Zaidi, it's great to see you looking in and I hope all is well with you and your family.

I love the elephant card, Lucy-Ann!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:It's lovely to think that a number of us were looking forward to an Enid Blyton Day back then - but sad to reflect that Barbara Stoney and Gillian Baverstock are no longer with us.

Zaidi, it's great to see you looking in and I hope all is well with you and your family.
Thanks Anita,you have been one of my first friends here, it is lovely of you to care for little ones like us and give us your precious time.
And yeah my little sister is getting all naughty, turning 1 . :twisted: !

I feel so bad about Gillian too :( but at least Imogene is there :D ,I just wish I could ever talk to her, a dream come true and something I could boast about 8) :wink:
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Good to see you Zaidi. I hope you are well and that Hassan and your little sister are getting on well too.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

It's lovely that several Enid Blyton fans have (like you, Zaidi) joined us at a young age and shared their thoughts and observations with us as they've grown up. Some might eventually grow out of Enid Blyton, or find themselves reading her books a lot less and devoting more of their time to new interests, but I always feel happy when they pop in to say hello or comment on a topic. The same goes for all visitors who come on infrequently, of any age - it's nice to know that they're still around and still drawn to the world of Enid Blyton from time to time.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Welcome back, Zaidi. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I first registered on the forums ten years ago today, but it wasn't until New Year's Eve that I plucked up my courage to start my first thread.
As we move into the new year we have currently sold 70 tickets for the Annual Society Day. Our three patrons will all be attending - Gillian Baverstock and Imogen Smallwood, Enid's two daughters and Barbara Stoney her biographer.

Anyone interested in attending the Day is welcome to get in touch with me.
Best wishes
Tony
Those were the days...
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

Yeah you are so right Anita :D .
My interest has never grown out of Enid, its only I dont get her books on choice their usually the ones I have read and I am always borrowing books from my friends :(

So I always feel out of touch when I have little to discuss on Enid's books, but yeah now I am 16 I have got lots to discuss but its primarily in the general natter base :wink: ,which probably might not be liked :roll: , or will it? I have matured over the course ,on my views and its just like my brain has doubled the size :lol: and I laugh out on how I used to talk here, presenting such a fragmented piece :shock: of myself.

Just as you said, I've actually grown here, with Daisy,Nigel,Ming,Viv(where has she gone :( ),Eddie and so many others, who are original people, so as I have grown up like that ,I feel like establishing strong ties of friendship. Like I often would say ,but I guess that will happen when I meet everyone,literally everyone. :wink: 8)
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Hi Zaidi,

I'm sure we'd all love to hear from you in the general natter forum! :D I think many of us post there more often than we do anywhere else. :wink:

I'm a relative newcomer to the forums, so I haven't met some of the people who joined some years ago but haven't been in so often lately. We did hear from Viv very recently. Ming drops in from time to time when she's not too busy with her studies - she's at college in the US now!

I'm glad to know your interest in Blyton hasn't waned as you've gone into your teenage years. I know I went through a phase (from about age 10 onwards) when I decided I was too "grown up" to read Enid Blyton books any more, but secretly I still loved them as much as ever. It's only since finding the Enid Blyton Society that I've found there are plenty of other adults who also love Enid and aren't ashamed to say so! 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Although I put my Enid Blyton books away in boxes when I was about 13 or 14, I always knew I'd return to them one day (in fact, I "rescued" the eight Adventure books to read in between revising for my 'O' Levels).

Zaidi, I hope you get your wish to meet lots of forumites in person! It would be great to see you!

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote: It's only since finding the Enid Blyton Society that I've found there are plenty of other adults who also love Enid and aren't ashamed to say so!
That's what I love so much about EBS :)!!!
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I don't think think I will ever 'outgrow' or leave Enid Blyton books. There is always something comforting and exciting about returning to an Enid Blyton book. In the last year or so: I have discovered many other authors - Agatha Christie, Eva Ibbotson, Robin Stevens, Jane Austen, and many more, and although they all write such fantastic books, they have made me realize even more, how there is something magical about Enid's work.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Poppy, I feel the same.
With the exception of a few adult books ("Woodswoman" by Anne LaBastille, "Landscape of Lies" by British author Peter Watson, "In a Dry Season" by Canadian author Peter Robinson) I hardly ever found magic in novels.
But one particular novel, "Landscape of Lies", is almost like a FF book for grown ups, only that it's not about four kids and a dog, it's about two people and one baddie (and a treasure hunt). However, it came pretty close to what I felt when I read my first FF books. And I reread "Landscape of Lies" a dozen times.
But most novels are just books that I read and in the end I do miss the magic that fills EB's books. Blyton has a way with words, an ability to draw you into her stories that only very few authors possess.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

Courtenay wrote:Hi Zaidi,

I'm sure we'd all love to hear from you in the general natter forum! :D I think many of us post there more often than we do anywhere else. :wink:

I'm a relative newcomer to the forums, so I haven't met some of the people who joined some years ago but haven't been in so often lately. We did hear from Viv very recently. Ming drops in from time to time when she's not too busy with her studies - she's at college in the US now!

I'm glad to know your interest in Blyton hasn't waned as you've gone into your teenage years. I know I went through a phase (from about age 10 onwards) when I decided I was too "grown up" to read Enid Blyton books any more, but secretly I still loved them as much as ever. It's only since finding the Enid Blyton Society that I've found there are plenty of other adults who also love Enid and aren't ashamed to say so! 8)
Courtney people like you make me feel so motivated :D
Anita Bensoussane wrote:Although I put my Enid Blyton books away in boxes when I was about 13 or 14, I always knew I'd return to them one day (in fact, I "rescued" the eight Adventure books to read in between revising for my 'O' Levels).

Zaidi, I hope you get your wish to meet lots of forumites in person! It would be great to see you!
Inshallah(a word of great hope for something to happen) Anita, that dreams definitely going to come true one day ,
maybe than people like you would agree to use skpe and android phones :lol:
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

zaidi wrote: Inshallah(a word of great hope for something to happen) Anita, that dreams definitely going to come true one day, maybe than people like you would agree to use skpe and android phones :lol:

Dear Zaidi,

I hope this works and you can listen to one of my favorite songs when I was a teenager.
It's called "Inch Allah" by Salvatore Adamo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIkrsBOymAY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy New Year to you and your family

from Chrissie, André and our puppy Cody in the US :)!
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

zaidi wrote:...maybe than people like you would agree to use skpe and android phones :lol:
:lol: Sorry - I'm always behind the times when it comes to things like that! :P

Society Member