February 2009 - site moved to new server

Important forum announcements.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

February 2009 - site moved to new server

Post by Keith Robinson »

It was around March last year that I moved the site from one server to another. Well, a year later, I've moved it again. This new server has already proved itself to be faster then the previous one, and so far more reliable.

You'll most likely come across a few bugs here and there, or slight differences. This is because the fresh new installation of the forums (complete with all the old posts) didn't like the old Blyton theme files -- they weren't compatible. So I've had to recreate the same theme using the old images and styles but within the new board structure. The result is that it's virtually the same but with a few teeny tiny differences. I notice that some smilies are missing on the right as I post this message; there's also a bug with the "New Topic" and "Add Post" buttons having a text link overlaid, but I'll get to that soon. And where's my avatar gone? (Don't worry, they're all saved, I just need to find 'em and get 'em working.)

But first I need to go check the main website, and I have about 500 MB worth of images to upload in the Cave of Books section. :shock:
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: February 2009 - site moved to new server

Post by Eddie Muir »

Hi Keith

I've just tried to access the MONTHLY QUIZ without success, and the message below is given:

"Sorry – Page Not Found
If you've arrived here from a link on this website, then apparently we've made an error that needs fixing! Please return to our home page and, if you have a moment, report the problem to us so we can put it right.

Or perhaps you've arrived here from a search engine and this page no longer exists. Search engines are often a week or two behind, so if we've just removed the page then it might take a little while for the search engine to realize it. In this case there's no need to report the problem.

We apologize for any inconvenience."

I'm not sure if you need to know this, so please accept my apologies if it is something you are aware of. My own computer knowledge is rather limited.

Best wishes
Eddie
Last edited by Eddie Muir on 07 Feb 2009, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Thanks, Eddie! I'll look into it -- probably something simple.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I have perfect faith in you Keith as all your work in the past has vastly improved the site. Thanks for taking the time and trouble. All the smilies are present now anyway. :D
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

You're very kind! The majority of the site is working now, just have about 400 MB of images to upload (so don't be surprised if you find the illustrations missing in the cave of books section).

Yes, smilies and avatars are all working now, although my Firefox is playing up a little by showing most avatars but not my own! If anyone finds avatars missing, it'll be a "cache" problem -- restarting Firefox or IE might do the trick; if not clear all your temporary internet files and start over. But it probably only affects me because I've been messing with it all morning.

The quiz is fixed (that is to say repaired, not fixed). I tested it and got a terrible score. Hmm, maybe it's not working so well after all...

Thanks your patience, everyone. :)
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

I can see your avatar perfectly. I also notice that the little alert symbols beside the threads which tell if there are new posts have changed colour. Previously if there were unread posts they showed yellow. Now they are red with the others being blue. Its a nice little colour scheme actually, intentional or not.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

When I logged in, I thought, "oo-er, someone's been messing around with the forums!"

The blues and reds look nice! I have just one teeny weeny request - can we have the "View New Posts" button where the "view your posts" button is? :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Well done, Keith! :D I know you've still got a bit of work to do but you're almost there. Help yourself to a virtual cream cake and lashings of whatever you fancy!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Just noticed that the "Who is Online" button doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Okay a couple of bugs.

The Who Is Online button no longer links, and we can't view anyone's profiles by clicking on the username. Still haven't found out how else to!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

"Who is Online" is working for me so perhaps that has been fixed now?

We used to have a "Members" link which I don't think is there any more.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »